The questions remain the same. The answers are eternally variable.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

SubjectAuthor
* Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmDavid Brown
+* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmQuadibloc
| +- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmDavid Brown
| `* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|  +- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmHamish Laws
|  `* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmQuadibloc
|   `- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmDavid Brown
+* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmpete...@gmail.com
+- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmQuadibloc
+* Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmJack Bohn
|`- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winnePaul S Person
`- Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy filmJack Bohn

1
Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<cb739236-59b0-488c-9fd3-377efdf4e557n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86344&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86344

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film
Oscar winner???
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:45 UTC

Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html

It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
1. Spielberg of course won best director for Saving Private Ryan, after spending his career going back and forth between sci fi and "mainstream". And of course, people are still ranting about it losing Best Picture.

2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003, mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.

3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which got the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence of the Lambs.

So, are there any more major nominations of science fiction/ fantasy films? I'm wondering especially about acting nominations, which would seem to be an even bigger Wall of Nothing. For that matter, what are the feelings here about EEAAO and how this might influence perceptions of science fiction?

David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<k793icF71v5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86346&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86346

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Oscar winner???
Date: 13 Mar 2023 17:07:24 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:07 UTC

In article <cb739236-59b0-488c-9fd3-377efdf4e557n@googlegroups.com>,
David Brown <davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:
>Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of
>Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the
>radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I
>would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html

Here's my review from 30 April 2022:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Everything Everywhere All At Once

I had not heard of "Everything Everywhere All At Once" until I
googled "movie times" and it was one of tonight's choices. The
synopsis & Michelle Yeoh sold me.

Michelle Yeoh is Evelyn Quan, an immigrant from her native China
to California's Simi Valley where she runs a, failing, coin laundry
with her husband. Now she is at her absolute wits' end as she
is trying to get ready for a crucial IRS audit, prepare a party
for her mostly estranged father, who has finally deigned to visit,
and deal with her emotionally fragile daughter who is in a
relationship with another girl, a *white* girl, which she is kind
of OK with and kind of not OK with. To make matters worse, her
mild mannered husband is serving her with divorce papers, as much
to get her attention as anything else, and she has never fully
realized what he keeps trying to say to her.

Things come to a head on the elevator up to the disastrous interview
when her husband suddenly starts talking like he is a stranger,
and informs her that, at this moment, he is channelling a
doppleganger >from the Alpha universe, and that the entire
multiverse is in danger, and that out of all the infinite number
of Evelyn Quans, she is the only one who has a chance to fix
things because, since she is bad at *everything*, her potential
is incalculable.

Unfortunately not only the good guys can channel the abilities
of their infinite dopplegangers; the bad guys can do it as well,
and, oh yeah, her daughter's doppleganger is so powerful and evil
that she exists to some extent in all her daughters all the time
and is the ultimate threat.

Will Evelyn be able to work with the Alphas to repair the mulitverse
and save her daughter from the nihilistic temptations of the
Everything Bagel? Will the IRS shut down her laundry? Will her
family find harmony?

This is a film with moxie and the Hong Kong action-cinema willingness
to throw everything at the wall, in a Larry Niven "All The Myriad
Ways" setting, and see what sticks. Not everything does by any
means, and it goes out of the way at one point to earn its 'R'
rating, but for me it more worked than didn't, the patently absurd
and all. A lot of that is due to Yeoh, still one of the most
compelling and beautiful women in the world, even in a setting
which works hard to show her as aging and unglamorous (except in
those multiverse worlds where she is a movie star or Kung Fu
hero). She is willing here to play the family drama, and the
ridiculous scenes where she is a chef in a "Ratatouille" or in a
tumultuous lesbian relationship with pianist Jamie Lee Curtis in
a world where humans have hot-dog hands. Until the end, it is
an often unflattering role, and she embraces it.

I suspect this film only got a theatrical release because the
last Spider-Man movie and the Dr. Strange trailers have raised
the awareness of the "multiverse" concept in audience's minds,
and I don't expect it to make any money or last long, so if you
want to see it, you should probably hurry.

Note that I really didn't expect it to do well!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<k793vpF71v5U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86347&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86347

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Oscar winner???
Date: 13 Mar 2023 17:14:33 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:14 UTC

In article <cb739236-59b0-488c-9fd3-377efdf4e557n@googlegroups.com>,
David Brown <davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:
>Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of
>Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the
>radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I
>would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html
>
>It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has
>won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other
>technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
>1. Spielberg of course won best director for Saving Private Ryan, after
>spending his career going back and forth between sci fi and
>"mainstream". And of course, people are still ranting about it losing
>Best Picture.
>
>2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003,
>mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This
>incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the
>Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.
>
>3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which got
>the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence of
>the Lambs.
>
>So, are there any more major nominations of science fiction/ fantasy
>films? I'm wondering especially about acting nominations, which would
>seem to be an even bigger Wall of Nothing. For that matter, what are the
>feelings here about EEAAO and how this might influence perceptions of
>science fiction?
>
>David N. Brown
>Mesa, Arizona

"2001" got some noms and one minor win I believe.

"Star Wars" got a nom.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<b69f706e-3113-45c7-b107-5987f19a48b8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86348&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86348

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:23 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 1:14:37 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <cb739236-59b0-488c...@googlegroups.com>,
> David Brown <davidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of
> >Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the
> >radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I
> >would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
> >https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html
> >
> >It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has
> >won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other
> >technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
> >1. Spielberg of course won best director for Saving Private Ryan, after
> >spending his career going back and forth between sci fi and
> >"mainstream". And of course, people are still ranting about it losing
> >Best Picture.
> >
> >2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003,
> >mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This
> >incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the
> >Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.
> >
> >3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which got
> >the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence of
> >the Lambs.
> >
> >So, are there any more major nominations of science fiction/ fantasy
> >films? I'm wondering especially about acting nominations, which would
> >seem to be an even bigger Wall of Nothing. For that matter, what are the
> >feelings here about EEAAO and how this might influence perceptions of
> >science fiction?
> >
> >David N. Brown
> >Mesa, Arizona
> "2001" got some noms and one minor win I believe.

it won for best VFX. and was nominated for Direction, Original Screenplay, and
Art Direction.

pt

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<89a61a80-9036-4503-a1e9-0f86d32418f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86352&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86352

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:09 UTC

Given that Star Trek won't be able to afford Michelle Yeoh any more, now that
she's a Best Actress winner... I think we can dismiss the theory that Discovery
ended after a successful five-year run because it was too "woke".

John Savard

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<b3220124-c9a7-454e-aed7-2f21e38efeb9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86353&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86353

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:13 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:07:31 AM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> I suspect this film only got a theatrical release because the
> last Spider-Man movie and the Dr. Strange trailers have raised
> the awareness of the "multiverse" concept in audience's minds,
> and I don't expect it to make any money or last long, so if you
> want to see it, you should probably hurry.

If it were that bad, one would expect that it would have had a
hard time winning Oscars. Of course, there's that "Oscars
So White" controversy, but for all I know that issue may not
arise, because maybe all of this year's other nominees were
even worse.

If, indeed, it really is that bad, and a good movie got snubbed, that
would be a pity.

John Savard

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<eb964bea-1cbf-426c-be3f-246b0471667en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86356&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86356

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 20:21 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 12:13:58 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:07:31 AM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>
> > I suspect this film only got a theatrical release because the
> > last Spider-Man movie and the Dr. Strange trailers have raised
> > the awareness of the "multiverse" concept in audience's minds,
> > and I don't expect it to make any money or last long, so if you
> > want to see it, you should probably hurry.
> If it were that bad, one would expect that it would have had a
> hard time winning Oscars. Of course, there's that "Oscars
> So White" controversy, but for all I know that issue may not
> arise, because maybe all of this year's other nominees were
> even worse.
>
> If, indeed, it really is that bad, and a good movie got snubbed, that
> would be a pity.
>
> John Savard
I don't consider it "bad", nor do I gather that's the opinion of the other reviewer. What it is is a film for niche audiences. For that and other reasons, I find it unfortunately likely that it's long term legacy will be as an Oscar winner that fashionable insiders will insist they hated all along, which won't help the status of sf cinema. In my own review, I compared it to a film I hadn't seen at the time called Super Inframan. After seeing and reviewing that film, I absolutely stand by my assessment, which should make it all the more clear what I mean about it being "niche".

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<k79j1mF96ovU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86361&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86361

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Oscar winner???
Date: 13 Mar 2023 21:31:34 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:31 UTC

In article <b3220124-c9a7-454e-aed7-2f21e38efeb9n@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:07:31 AM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>
>> I suspect this film only got a theatrical release because the
>> last Spider-Man movie and the Dr. Strange trailers have raised
>> the awareness of the "multiverse" concept in audience's minds,
>> and I don't expect it to make any money or last long, so if you
>> want to see it, you should probably hurry.
>
>If it were that bad, one would expect that it would have had a
>hard time winning Oscars. Of course, there's that "Oscars
>So White" controversy, but for all I know that issue may not
>arise, because maybe all of this year's other nominees were
>even worse.
>
>If, indeed, it really is that bad, and a good movie got snubbed, that
>would be a pity.
>
>John Savard

How is your take-away from my review that it was bad? I said pretty
much the opposite.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<2e069bdd-8926-485a-8af6-23c0037b24ffn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86373&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86373

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 02:59 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 8:31:39 AM UTC+11, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <b3220124-c9a7-454e...@googlegroups.com>,
> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> >On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 11:07:31 AM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect this film only got a theatrical release because the
> >> last Spider-Man movie and the Dr. Strange trailers have raised
> >> the awareness of the "multiverse" concept in audience's minds,
> >> and I don't expect it to make any money or last long, so if you
> >> want to see it, you should probably hurry.
> >
> >If it were that bad, one would expect that it would have had a
> >hard time winning Oscars. Of course, there's that "Oscars
> >So White" controversy, but for all I know that issue may not
> >arise, because maybe all of this year's other nominees were
> >even worse.
> >
> >If, indeed, it really is that bad, and a good movie got snubbed, that
> >would be a pity.
> >
> How is your take-away from my review that it was bad? I said pretty
> much the opposite.

It's Quaddie, you're a human
You expect him to understand you?

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<c0821441-9c29-493c-a11b-00e97c947cf1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86383&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86383

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 05:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 12:55 UTC

David Brown wrote:
> Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html
>
> It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
>
> 2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003, mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.

Well, even Shakespeare wrote fantasy, see "Hamlet"(1948) which took Best, and won Olivier Best Actor (nomination for director). The others that leap to mind: Orson Welles's "Macbeth" and the 1930s star-studded "A Midsummer Night's Dream" were not nominated for non-technical categories. "Midsummmer" won a technical category, evidently by write-in votes, and the Academy disallowed write-ins after that.

> 3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which got the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence of the Lambs.

And the Academy came up with a category of Best Animated Film, put on the ballot only if there are some number of nominees in a year. Cynics believe that if a potential Best Picture Oscar animated movie comes out, they will find enough nominees to divert it to that category.

--
-Jack

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<k7bcl5Fhnk5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86384&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86384

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Oscar winner???
Date: 14 Mar 2023 13:54:45 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:54 UTC

In article <c0821441-9c29-493c-a11b-00e97c947cf1n@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>David Brown wrote:
>> Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of
>Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the
>radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I
>would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
>>
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html
>>
>> It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has
>won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other
>technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
>>
>> 2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003,
>mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This
>incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the
>Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.
>
>Well, even Shakespeare wrote fantasy, see "Hamlet"(1948) which took
>Best, and won Olivier Best Actor (nomination for director). The others
>that leap to mind: Orson Welles's "Macbeth" and the 1930s star-studded
>"A Midsummer Night's Dream" were not nominated for non-technical
>categories. "Midsummmer" won a technical category, evidently by
>write-in votes, and the Academy disallowed write-ins after that.
>
>> 3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which
>got the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence
>of the Lambs.

I'm the 1939 "The Wizard Of Oz" lost out to "Gone With The Wind" though
it did bring home a "Best Original Score".

>And the Academy came up with a category of Best Animated Film, put on
>the ballot only if there are some number of nominees in a year. Cynics
>believe that if a potential Best Picture Oscar animated movie comes out,
>they will find enough nominees to divert it to that category.

Just wait until animated movies move to AI voices..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<7h711it8e8rsiu7sr4qo2k9snh4edur1j9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86396&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86396

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 09:19:43 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:19 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:45:59 -0700 (PDT), David Brown
<davidnbrown80@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's something I didn't remember if I posted here, a review of Everything Everywhere All At Once that I posted during its under the radar theatrical run, which is now best picture winner. Seeing a movie I would watch go this big is, to put it mildly, disconcerting.
>https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2022/05/no-good-very-bad-movies-countdown-5-one.html
>
>It got me thinking, is this the first time a sci fi/ fantasy film has won best picture, or much of anything besides music, effects or other technical awards? Here's what I can come up with...
>1. Spielberg of course won best director for Saving Private Ryan, after spending his career going back and forth between sci fi and "mainstream". And of course, people are still ranting about it losing Best Picture.
>
>2. LotR: Return of the King won best picture and director in 2003, mostly riding the hype of the previous movies in the franchise. This incidentally shows that fantasy films have had more acceptance from the Hollywood mainstream than science fiction.
>
>3. I would say we have to kind of count Beauty And The Beast, which got the best picture nomination for 1991. Apparently, it lost to Silence of the Lambs.

Which, if memory serves, was so upsetting to the People in Charge that
they then created a "Best Animated Picture" category to make
absolutely certain that no animated film /ever/ got treated like a
real film and nominated for Best Picture again. What I suspect
terrified them was that someday one might actually /win/.

--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<0c9bacef-a08b-4d8a-88fe-373fd0e3b087n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86450&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86450

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 22:57 UTC

On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 3:31:39 PM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> How is your take-away from my review that it was bad? I said pretty
> much the opposite.

My reply was made after just reading that review's last paragraph,
where you were saying that it was not to be expected the movie
would have a long run in theatres.

John Savard

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<6dd7d0af-86f3-40a6-8a8d-b5019b6ff9b6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86453&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86453

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:19:09 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 23:19 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 3:57:35 PM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 3:31:39 PM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>
> > How is your take-away from my review that it was bad? I said pretty
> > much the opposite.
> My reply was made after just reading that review's last paragraph,
> where you were saying that it was not to be expected the movie
> would have a long run in theatres.
>
> John Savard
The movie only had a limited release in US theaters, which I discussed in my review. That used to be pretty typical for both "arthouse"/ foreign films and low-budget sci fi and horror movies. In the modern landscape, it can be regarded as a "prestige" move, which may in fact have gained favor with the high-brow elements of the Academy in this case. Two other recent films that went this route were Isle of Dogs and Crawl. I personally came close to walking out on the former film, which I can now admit is quite good though very odd.

Re: Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once first sf/ fantasy film Oscar winner???

<a35703e5-59a4-4bfc-a2bf-6338366bba92n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86509&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86509

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 13:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Oscar winner???
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:18 UTC

Among the things David Brown wrote:

> So, are there any more major nominations of science fiction/ fantasy films? I'm wondering especially about acting nominations, which would seem to be an even bigger Wall of Nothing.

One I should have remembered long ago: Fredric March for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"(1931). Monster Kids claim it, along with "The Shape of Water"(2017).

I consider "My Fair Lady"(1964) science fiction, the second such movie from MGM with a language scientist at the lead. Best Picture and Best Actor for the guy who played the scientist. Its source, "Pygmalion," had a movie version in 1938, that won its G.B. Shaw Best Adapted Screenplay.

--
-Jack