Advice is a dangerous gift; be cautious about giving and receiving it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???David Brown
+* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Robert Carnegie
|`* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Jack Bohn
| `* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???pete...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Robert Carnegie
|  `- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Charles Packer
`* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Nils Hammer
 +* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???James Nicoll
 |+- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Robert Carnegie
 |+* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Charles Packer
 ||+- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 ||+- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???James Nicoll
 ||+- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???rkshullat
 ||`* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???pete...@gmail.com
 || `- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Charles Packer
 |`- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Paul S Person
 +* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???pete...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???danny burstein
 +* Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Paul S Person
 |`- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Robert Carnegie
 `- Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???Jack Bohn

1
Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<72207d5f-98fd-412e-86f4-e310cced8526n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86198&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86198

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:30:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:30 UTC

I got in one post this week, continuing my robot/ AI series with The Lift, the actual killer elevator movie. My only addendum, was the deadly elevator trope ever much of a thing in published sci fi, or was this entirely a movie/ TV thing?
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-thats-killer.html
David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<0be2559e-c558-492a-ae77-741dde0f89f1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86216&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86216

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 16:25:44 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 00:25 UTC

On Friday, 10 March 2023 at 21:30:35 UTC, David Brown wrote:
> I got in one post this week, continuing my robot/ AI series with The Lift, the actual killer elevator movie. My only addendum, was the deadly elevator trope ever much of a thing in published sci fi, or was this entirely a movie/ TV thing?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-thats-killer.html
> David N. Brown
> Mesa, Arizona

An elevator can kill without being sci fi. Doing it
/deliberately/ slips into horror.

There was an "X-Files" incident.

In _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, there's
lifts with a sense of self preservation, but that
starts as a radio episode. The lifts can see the future
and anticipate where they'll be wanted. But when
their building is threatened, they look out for themselves.

Star Trek turbolifts go any direction. I think they become
hostile in episode "Wolf in the Fold".

The elevator in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
can either break you out through the roof, or kill you
in the impact. But not deliberately.

And of course there's the "taking you to the wrong floor
and trapping you there" thing. I've experienced the first
half of that personally.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<0ece18d3-c189-4c0f-9eef-c29ca124c2c3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86232&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86232

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 05:15:53 -0800 (PST)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:15 UTC

Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Friday, 10 March 2023 at 21:30:35 UTC, David Brown wrote:
> > I got in one post this week, continuing my robot/ AI series with The Lift, the actual killer elevator movie. My only addendum, was the deadly elevator trope ever much of a thing in published sci fi, or was this entirely a movie/ TV thing?
> > https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-thats-killer.html

> An elevator can kill without being sci fi. Doing it
> /deliberately/ slips into horror.
>
> There was an "X-Files" incident.
>
> In _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, there's
> lifts with a sense of self preservation, but that
> starts as a radio episode. The lifts can see the future
> and anticipate where they'll be wanted. But when
> their building is threatened, they look out for themselves.
>
> Star Trek turbolifts go any direction. I think they become
> hostile in episode "Wolf in the Fold".
>
> The elevator in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
> can either break you out through the roof, or kill you
> in the impact. But not deliberately.
>
> And of course there's the "taking you to the wrong floor
> and trapping you there" thing. I've experienced the first
> half of that personally.

My mental index crosses "elevator" and "sf.written" only at the HHGttG entry and that the Ellison/van Vogt collaboration "The Human Operators" got its title from one of them hearing an old lady saying she missed the human operators on elevators. Which brings up the thought that at the technology's first introduction, when it was presumably the scariest, it had this trainer or guard with it. Elevator operators were phased out -- when? In the Fifties? I would guess holding on longer in swanky places. The memory of it lingers in a Night Gallery short-short "Room for One Less.:

Still, that would be racial memory, if such a thing exists. (Oral and video tradition, if one doesn't.) The personal experience of being sealed in a very small room with no windows, and taken to liminal spaces of identical corridors of cost-cutting anonymous living quarters, or uncaring bureaucratic offices does provide a core feeling of dread.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<c991ae12-da05-478e-a2c6-04cf1a7d3f9an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86248&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86248

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:29:39 -0800 (PST)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 18:29 UTC

On Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 8:15:56 AM UTC-5, Jack Bohn wrote:
> Robert Carnegie wrote:
> > On Friday, 10 March 2023 at 21:30:35 UTC, David Brown wrote:
> > > I got in one post this week, continuing my robot/ AI series with The Lift, the actual killer elevator movie. My only addendum, was the deadly elevator trope ever much of a thing in published sci fi, or was this entirely a movie/ TV thing?
> > > https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-thats-killer.html
> > An elevator can kill without being sci fi. Doing it
> > /deliberately/ slips into horror.
> >
> > There was an "X-Files" incident.
> >
> > In _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, there's
> > lifts with a sense of self preservation, but that
> > starts as a radio episode. The lifts can see the future
> > and anticipate where they'll be wanted. But when
> > their building is threatened, they look out for themselves.
> >
> > Star Trek turbolifts go any direction. I think they become
> > hostile in episode "Wolf in the Fold".
> >
> > The elevator in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
> > can either break you out through the roof, or kill you
> > in the impact. But not deliberately.
> >
> > And of course there's the "taking you to the wrong floor
> > and trapping you there" thing. I've experienced the first
> > half of that personally.
> My mental index crosses "elevator" and "sf.written" only at the HHGttG entry and that the Ellison/van Vogt collaboration "The Human Operators" got its title from one of them hearing an old lady saying she missed the human operators on elevators. Which brings up the thought that at the technology's first introduction, when it was presumably the scariest, it had this trainer or guard with it. Elevator operators were phased out -- when? In the Fifties? I would guess holding on longer in swanky places. The memory of it lingers in a Night Gallery short-short "Room for One Less.:
>
> Still, that would be racial memory, if such a thing exists. (Oral and video tradition, if one doesn't.) The personal experience of being sealed in a very small room with no windows, and taken to liminal spaces of identical corridors of cost-cutting anonymous living quarters, or uncaring bureaucratic offices does provide a core feeling of dread.

Elevators were around since ancient times, but were rare until the Industrial Revolution. Early
examples were quite dangerous. In the mid 1800s, Otis patented the first 'safety elevator', and
put his own life on the line to demonstrate it in public.

Automatic elevators were available from about 1900, but people were reluctant to use them.
The turning point was apparently an elevator operator's strike in 1945.

I know of an elevator in Worcester, MA that still has an operator. It's in daily use despite being
an antique, hydraulically driven, and requires special training to operate.

Back in the mid 60s, Harrods in London still had operators, but that's an ultra-lux store. By the mid
70s they were gone.

My grandmother told me that, when she was literally fresh of the boat from Estonia to NYC,
In the mid 1920s, she answered a job ad in the Garment District. She was reluctant to follow a
black man into a tiny room without windows, alone. Once she did, she was very
surprised when the room started rising. She had heard of 'elevators', but thought they were
open seats similar to a modern ski lift.

Pt

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<3b1f722f-f856-474f-a32c-e7a64a37d367n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86270&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86270

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:54:10 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 23:54 UTC

On Saturday, 11 March 2023 at 18:29:42 UTC, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> Automatic elevators were available from about 1900, but people were reluctant to use them.
> The turning point was apparently an elevator operator's strike in 1945.
>
> I know of an elevator in Worcester, MA that still has an operator. It's in daily use despite being
> an antique, hydraulically driven, and requires special training to operate.
>
> Back in the mid 60s, Harrods in London still had operators, but that's an ultra-lux store. By the mid
> 70s they were gone.
>
> My grandmother told me that, when she was literally fresh of the boat from Estonia to NYC,
> In the mid 1920s, she answered a job ad in the Garment District. She was reluctant to follow a
> black man into a tiny room without windows, alone. Once she did, she was very
> surprised when the room started rising. She had heard of 'elevators', but thought they were
> open seats similar to a modern ski lift.

If the doors or gates aren't automatic then you may
need an operator to manage them safely.

There's an elevator operator character briefly in
_Brave New World_ (1932, in the far future).
"The liftman was a small simian creature, dressed
in the black tunic of an Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron."
Designed so. Human. As likely as not, white.
Many lifts are in the story, and operators aren't
mentioned before or after this one. If present,
they are furniture.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<bCgPL.1546589$9sn9.53775@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86293&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86293

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:06:15 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:06 UTC

On Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:29:39 -0800, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> Elevators were around since ancient times, but were rare until the
> Industrial Revolution. Early examples were quite dangerous. In the mid
> 1800s, Otis patented the first 'safety elevator', and put his own life
> on the line to demonstrate it in public.
>
> Automatic elevators were available from about 1900, but people were
> reluctant to use them.
> The turning point was apparently an elevator operator's strike in 1945.
>
> I know of an elevator in Worcester, MA that still has an operator. It's
> in daily use despite being an antique, hydraulically driven, and
> requires special training to operate.
>
> Back in the mid 60s, Harrods in London still had operators, but that's
> an ultra-lux store. By the mid 70s they were gone.
>
> My grandmother told me that, when she was literally fresh of the boat
> from Estonia to NYC,
> In the mid 1920s, she answered a job ad in the Garment District. She was
> reluctant to follow a black man into a tiny room without windows, alone.
> Once she did, she was very surprised when the room started rising. She
> had heard of 'elevators', but thought they were open seats similar to a
> modern ski lift.
>
> Pt

By the way, does anybody know when the Empire State Building went to
push-button elevators? The accuracy of my memory of childhood hangs
in the balance. In 1956 my older cousin was employed as an elevator
operator in that building. But was he necessary for its operation or
was he employed perhaps to improve the orderliness of tourist traffic
flow in the busy Christmas season?

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86411&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86411

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: sledgeme...@gmail.com (Nils Hammer)
 by: Nils Hammer - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:25 UTC

There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was the main effect.

At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator. It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<tur2r0$rte$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86414&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86414

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17 UTC

In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken
>over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights
>going out was the main effect.
>
>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously
>pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.

One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much
in the way of safety features (although I think the gate would
not unlock unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls.
Getting it to line up nicely with a floor was tricky...

Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to
an elevator wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous
and was cautious. Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator
door with my shoulder, believing this would halt the car. Not
in fact the case: the elevator would have sheared my arm off
if I'd left it sticking out.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<7b625e63-fa5a-4c07-9aa3-99d15d68cd3fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86417&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86417

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 01:18 UTC

On Wednesday, 15 March 2023 at 00:17:40 UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661...@googlegroups.com>,
> Nils Hammer <sledgem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken
> >over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights
> >going out was the main effect.
> >
> >At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
> >It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously
> >pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.
> One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much
> in the way of safety features (although I think the gate would
> not unlock unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls.
> Getting it to line up nicely with a floor was tricky...
>
> Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to
> an elevator wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous
> and was cautious. Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator
> door with my shoulder, believing this would halt the car. Not
> in fact the case: the elevator would have sheared my arm off
> if I'd left it sticking out.

BBC radio just replayed a 1968 comedy show
featuring a film pastiche, "Thoroughly Modern Willie".
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007w4df>
They combine the elevator that only runs if you're
dancing, with, "...Shouldn't we have got on it?"

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<l0eQL.1902158$GNG9.929510@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86424&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86424

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 06:58:25 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 06:58 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:

> In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
> Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to
>>frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was
>>the main effect.
>>
>>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all
>>the buttons. Nightmares for years.
>
> One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much in the
> way of safety features (although I think the gate would not unlock
> unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls. Getting it to line
> up nicely with a floor was tricky...
>
> Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to an elevator
> wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous and was cautious.
> Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator door with my shoulder,
> believing this would halt the car. Not in fact the case: the elevator
> would have sheared my arm off if I'd left it sticking out.

This newsgroup must come from a strange planet, to have experienced
"modern" elevators that aren't blocked from moving while the door
is open and "WWI era" elevators with modern buttons.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<k7drsoFt7tuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86425&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86425

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 15 Mar 2023 12:27:04 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:27 UTC

In article <l0eQL.1902158$GNG9.929510@fx18.iad>,
Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to
>>>frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was
>>>the main effect.
>>>
>>>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>>>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all
>>>the buttons. Nightmares for years.
>>
>> One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much in the
>> way of safety features (although I think the gate would not unlock
>> unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls. Getting it to line
>> up nicely with a floor was tricky...
>>
>> Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to an elevator
>> wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous and was cautious.
>> Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator door with my shoulder,
>> believing this would halt the car. Not in fact the case: the elevator
>> would have sheared my arm off if I'd left it sticking out.
>
>This newsgroup must come from a strange planet, to have experienced
>"modern" elevators that aren't blocked from moving while the door
>is open and "WWI era" elevators with modern buttons.

As I think I've said here before, the scariest one I've seen & ridden was
a "Pater Noster" elevator in a German/NATO government building in Frankfurt
in the early '90s. It's probably still there.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<tusja2$m29$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86427&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86427

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:04:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:04 UTC

In article <l0eQL.1902158$GNG9.929510@fx18.iad>,
Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to
>>>frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was
>>>the main effect.
>>>
>>>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>>>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously
>pressed all
>>>the buttons. Nightmares for years.
>>
>> One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much in the
>> way of safety features (although I think the gate would not unlock
>> unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls. Getting
>it to line
>> up nicely with a floor was tricky...
>>
>> Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to an
>elevator
>> wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous and was cautious.
>> Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator door with my shoulder,
>> believing this would halt the car. Not in fact the case: the elevator
>> would have sheared my arm off if I'd left it sticking out.
>
>This newsgroup must come from a strange planet, to have experienced
>"modern" elevators that aren't blocked from moving while the door
>is open and "WWI era" elevators with modern buttons.

At least in the elevator in the hotel Arisia used, the sensors
did not run continuously up the door edge.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<tusmfo$hvbh$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86428&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86428

From: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:59:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:59 UTC

Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to
>>>frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was
>>>the main effect.
>>>
>>>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>>>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all
>>>the buttons. Nightmares for years.
>>
>> One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much in the
>> way of safety features (although I think the gate would not unlock
>> unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls. Getting it to line
>> up nicely with a floor was tricky...
>>
>> Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to an elevator
>> wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous and was cautious.
>> Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator door with my shoulder,
>> believing this would halt the car. Not in fact the case: the elevator
>> would have sheared my arm off if I'd left it sticking out.
>
> This newsgroup must come from a strange planet, to have experienced
> "modern" elevators that aren't blocked from moving while the door
> is open and "WWI era" elevators with modern buttons.

Or we're old enough that "modern" is not equivalent to "21st century".

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<5b6d7183-2454-4066-a01b-10894f208238n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86430&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86430

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 08:43:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:43 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 7:25:28 PM UTC-4, Nils Hammer wrote:
> There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was the main effect.
>
> At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator. It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.

Back in the mid-60s, I occasionally encountered (brand new) elevators in Sweden
with no interior door. The exterior door was a more or less normal swing-out
door (presumably with interlocks), and the interior was flush with the wall,
and the edge of the elevator - the gap was a few millimeters at most. You watched the
wall slide past you.

pt

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<f33f4cbc-5df4-45ae-8487-8d38d90d9abfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86431&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86431

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 08:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:45 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 2:58:30 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:
>
> > In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Nils Hammer <sledgem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to
> >>frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was
> >>the main effect.
> >>
> >>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
> >>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all
> >>the buttons. Nightmares for years.
> >
> > One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much in the
> > way of safety features (although I think the gate would not unlock
> > unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls. Getting it to line
> > up nicely with a floor was tricky...
> >
> > Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to an elevator
> > wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous and was cautious.
> > Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator door with my shoulder,
> > believing this would halt the car. Not in fact the case: the elevator
> > would have sheared my arm off if I'd left it sticking out.
> This newsgroup must come from a strange planet, to have experienced
> "modern" elevators that aren't blocked from moving while the door
> is open and "WWI era" elevators with modern buttons.

The World Is A Very Big Place. I've encountered elevators designed without
interior doors, and fully automated versions have been around since 1900,
per Wikipedia.

pt

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<92r31i9irs09iscf6ae0121qebn48f3j2p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86434&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86434

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 09:04:36 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:04 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:25:23 -0700 (PDT), Nils Hammer
<sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:

>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was the main effect.

Sequential hallway lights going out are /still/ not an unknown
allegedly-special effect. They may even be one of the items that led
to my using "special defects" instead of "special effects".

>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator. It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.

I should think so!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<tusqes$nsk$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86435&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86435

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:06:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:06 UTC

[snip]

> There was a 1970s tv movie where an automated building is taken
> over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights
> going out was the main effect

One of my favorites!, and, as it turns out, this was both
a theatrical film [a] and also a tv movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Man_(1971_film)

[a] I was 99 % sure I had seen it in the theatre,
but all ref's I found until recently just had it
as a tv movie.

The Wiki and other sites were revised over the years
to include the big screen release, so my memory
was validated.

Oh, and Tina Chen!

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<e5r31i1j38ga6qkqsasdh7moqhvr9ddkce@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86436&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86436

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 09:08:10 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:08 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 00:17:36 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <7c3e6a70-8c07-4661-8359-e63fac4e1103n@googlegroups.com>,
>Nils Hammer <sledgemeister79@gmail.com> wrote:
>>There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken
>>over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights
>>going out was the main effect.
>>
>>At ~4 years old my family got into an unmarked WWI era elevator.
>>It ran at high speed with the doors open while dad furiously
>>pressed all the buttons. Nightmares for years.
>
>One of my jobs involved a venerable cargo elevator without much
>in the way of safety features (although I think the gate would
>not unlock unless a car was at the floor) or automatic controls.
>Getting it to line up nicely with a floor was tricky...

One of our modern automatic safety elevators had that problem for a
while.

When a Manager (who had been in the Army and really should have known
better) pointed out that it had been inspected just a few months ago,
/I/ pointed out that what he was saying was that the inspection record
posted on the elevator had been initialed and dated, but as to any
actual inspection being done ... well, the behavior suggested that no
such thing had occurred.

Of course, I suppose the elevator /could/ have been drunk ...

>Amusingly enough, my closest encounter with losing an arm to
>an elevator wasn't with that beast. I knew it was dangerous
>and was cautious. Decades later, I blocked a modern elevator
>door with my shoulder, believing this would halt the car. Not
>in fact the case: the elevator would have sheared my arm off
>if I'd left it sticking out.

It had a job to do, and it wasn't going to let you get in its way.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<5122f5c3-0aba-4c29-8a51-6629b849f6d8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86445&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86445

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:57:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 20:57 UTC

On Wednesday, 15 March 2023 at 16:04:43 UTC, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 16:25:23 -0700 (PDT), Nils Hammer
> <sledgem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >There was a 1970s v

Oh, "tv"?

> movie where an automated building is taken over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was the main effect.
>
> Sequential hallway lights going out are /still/ not an unknown
> allegedly-special effect. They may even be one of the items that led
> to my using "special defects" instead of "special effects".

Doctor Who, "Silence in the Library". I think.

(Not the 1970s story. Perhaps another one was.
"The Horror of Fang Rock" has one big light...)

And "The Nine Billion Names Of God".

Or when I turn out the light switches in what's now
mostly an open plan office, but it used to have rooms.
Without their own switches. Or... that's how it is now.

I usually leave from the end which doesn't have
(most of) the switches, and I can leave the imaginary
hallway lit while and until I walk out.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<L%yQL.1914712$GNG9.1070802@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86461&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86461

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:51:23 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 06:51 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 08:45:26 -0700, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> The World Is A Very Big Place. I've encountered elevators designed
> without interior doors, and fully automated versions have been around
> since 1900,
> per Wikipedia.
>
> pt

True. Subsequently I searched beyond this and learned that while they
were invented that early, it wasn't until the 1960s that automatic
elevators became ubiquitous. A search of newspapers.com confirmed
it. Ads for apartments that mentioned "self-service elevators"
to emphasize their modernity peaked in 1964. Thereafter it came
to be an assumed feature.

Re: Movie review: The Lift, killer elevator as decentralized AI???

<114af356-f250-489b-9a15-0e6864c15253n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86464&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86464

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 05:10:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:10 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 7:25:28 PM UTC-4, Nils Hammer wrote:

> There was a 1970s v movie where an automated building is taken over to frighten and murder a person. Sequential hallway lights going out was the main effect.

I used to work for a place that had a warehouse where apparently the calculations showed motion-detector circuitry and a timer to control the lights down the central aisle would be paid for by the savings in electricity (hey, it's better than doing such calculations for the restroom). On occasions where I went to get something, I could do a quick run down, and back to the entrance, and wait by the wall, having staged that effect for myself.

--
-Jack