Please don't recommend me to your friends-- it's difficult enough to cope with you alone.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

SubjectAuthor
* Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieDavid Brown
+* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieJack Bohn
|+- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieDon
|`- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer moviePaul S Person
`* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieRobert Carnegie
 `* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieDorothy J Heydt
  `* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
   +- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieGary R. Schmidt
   +* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieRobert Woodward
   |+- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieJack Bohn
   |`* Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieBrian McGuinness
   | `- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieDon
   `- Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movieRobert Carnegie

1
Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<f2650828-667a-4511-961d-a535fa579140n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86452&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86452

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 16:07:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 23:07 UTC

Here's yet another installment of my series on robots and AI, a review of The Forbin Project (I know, the UK title), which is based on a novel. I'm a little curious if anyone here can say how the movie compares to the book, as well as where the author went with the scenario in subsequent books. What was of most interest to me is the idea of a nuclear war being started by a computer or automated system. As I outline in the review, it was in the works of Philip K. Dick, and it is implied with the "doomsday" device in Dr. Strangelove. Another I didn't mention is "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream", which was published earlier than I thought but after the novel the film is based on. Can anyone suggest an example of this concept in use, especially in the near-future "hard SF" vein, before the early to mid 1960s?
https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-where-analog.html

David N. Brown
Mesa, Arizona

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<7beec787-0198-4867-aa6b-d62eb7e7f135n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86466&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86466

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 14:30 UTC

David Brown wrote:

> Here's yet another installment of my series on robots and AI, a review of The Forbin Project (I know, the UK title), which is based on a novel. I'm a little curious if anyone here can say how the movie compares to the book, as well as where the author went with the scenario in subsequent books. What was of most interest to me is the idea of a nuclear war being started by a computer or automated system. As I outline in the review, it was in the works of Philip K. Dick, and it is implied with the "doomsday" device in Dr.. Strangelove. Another I didn't mention is "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream", which was published earlier than I thought but after the novel the film is based on. Can anyone suggest an example of this concept in use, especially in the near-future "hard SF" vein, before the early to mid 1960s?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-where-analog.html

The only book I'd run across was _The Fall of Colossus_, which tells the two stories of another attempt by Forbin's anti-Colossus project, and Dr. Markham, who is separated out as part of one of Colossus's experiments to try to understand humans better; she is in a (of implied many) variation on a Sabine Women scenario. After the spoiler in the title, Colossus leaves the message which sets up the second sequel (spoiler in its title), which has had references seeded through the book. They are able to find Dr. Markham, but it's questionable if they can be said to have saved her. The ending of _Colossus and the Crab_ will determine what kind of trilogy this is: an ongoing series, truncated after three books, or one book of all the author had to say on the subject followed by two other books of later thoughts by author that would complete all there was to say on the subject.

Computers launching a nuclear war? I was thinking along the lines of ceding power to the computer to try to prevent one, more Dick's "The Defenders" than "Holy Quarrel." I can't really think of any others, or much change that can be wrung from the idea.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<20230316a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86468&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86468

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:36:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:36 UTC

Jack Bohn wrote:
> David Brown wrote:
>
>> Here's yet another installment of my series on robots and AI, a review of
>> The Forbin Project (I know, the UK title), which is based on a novel. I'm
>> a little curious if anyone here can say how the movie compares to the book,
>> as well as where the author went with the scenario in subsequent books.
>> What was of most interest to me is the idea of a nuclear war being started
>> by a computer or automated system. As I outline in the review, it was in
>> the works of Philip K. Dick, and it is implied with the "doomsday" device
>> in Dr. Strangelove. Another I didn't mention is "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream",
>> which was published earlier than I thought but after the novel the film
>> is based on. Can anyone suggest an example of this concept in use, especially
>> in the near-future "hard SF" vein, before the early to mid 1960s?
>> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-where-analog.html
>
> The only book I'd run across was _The Fall of Colossus_, which tells the two
> stories of another attempt by Forbin's anti-Colossus project, and Dr. Markham,
> who is separated out as part of one of Colossus's experiments to try to
> understand humans better; she is in a (of implied many) variation on a Sabine
> Women scenario. After the spoiler in the title, Colossus leaves the message
> which sets up the second sequel (spoiler in its title), which has had references
> seeded through the book. They are able to find Dr. Markham, but it's
> questionable if they can be said to have saved her. The ending of
> _Colossus and the Crab_ will determine what kind of trilogy this is: an
> ongoing series, truncated after three books, or one book of all the author
> had to say on the subject followed by two other books of later thoughts by
> author that would complete all there was to say on the subject.
>
> Computers launching a nuclear war? I was thinking along the lines of ceding
> power to the computer to try to prevent one, more Dick's "The Defenders" than
> "Holy Quarrel." I can't really think of any others, or much change that can
> be wrung from the idea.

Two tangential tales come to mind. But both likely fall outside of
David's scope.
_The Adolescence of P-1_ (Ryan) is commonly associated with
_Colossus_. P-1's arguably more indirect and intelligent than omniscient
omnipotent Colossus. The latter's god complex makes it act stupid and
ultimately leads to its own downfall.
Perry Rhodan's Robot Regent also suffers from a god complex. The
Regent nukes ("makes small stars out of" in PR parlance) insubordinate
planets who "buck" Robotic authority.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<34f61ip19vf33g6qdtls0vhqhv0ug093vi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86470&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86470

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:00:02 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:00 UTC

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
<jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:

>David Brown wrote:
>
>> Here's yet another installment of my series on robots and AI, a review of The Forbin Project (I know, the UK title), which is based on a novel. I'm a little curious if anyone here can say how the movie compares to the book, as well as where the author went with the scenario in subsequent books. What was of most interest to me is the idea of a nuclear war being started by a computer or automated system. As I outline in the review, it was in the works of Philip K. Dick, and it is implied with the "doomsday" device in Dr. Strangelove. Another I didn't mention is "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream", which was published earlier than I thought but after the novel the film is based on. Can anyone suggest an example of this concept in use, especially in the near-future "hard SF" vein, before the early to mid 1960s?
>> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-where-analog.html
>
>The only book I'd run across was _The Fall of Colossus_, which tells the two stories of another attempt by Forbin's anti-Colossus project, and Dr. Markham, who is separated out as part of one of Colossus's experiments to try to understand humans better; she is in a (of implied many) variation on a Sabine Women scenario. After the spoiler in the title, Colossus leaves the message which sets up the second sequel (spoiler in its title), which has had references seeded through the book. They are able to find Dr. Markham, but it's questionable if they can be said to have saved her. The ending of _Colossus and the Crab_ will determine what kind of trilogy this is: an ongoing series, truncated after three books, or one book of all the author had to say on the subject followed by two other books of later thoughts by author that would complete all there was to say on the subject.

IIRC, Forbin finally succeeds! With help from mysterious alien
strangers.

Who turn out to be Colossus-level machines about to take over Earth.

So Colossus, now gone, was our /defense/ against other, similar
machines.

So Forbin loses by winning. Oh, well.

>Computers launching a nuclear war? I was thinking along the lines of ceding power to the computer to try to prevent one, more Dick's "The Defenders" than "Holy Quarrel." I can't really think of any others, or much change that can be wrung from the idea.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<ed029d83-735f-4f8f-be1c-2d2d8deae041n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86488&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86488

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 18:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 01:09 UTC

On Wednesday, 15 March 2023 at 23:07:26 UTC, David Brown wrote:
> Here's yet another installment of my series on robots and AI, a review of The Forbin Project (I know, the UK title), which is based on a novel. I'm a little curious if anyone here can say how the movie compares to the book, as well as where the author went with the scenario in subsequent books. What was of most interest to me is the idea of a nuclear war being started by a computer or automated system. As I outline in the review, it was in the works of Philip K. Dick, and it is implied with the "doomsday" device in Dr.. Strangelove. Another I didn't mention is "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream", which was published earlier than I thought but after the novel the film is based on. Can anyone suggest an example of this concept in use, especially in the near-future "hard SF" vein, before the early to mid 1960s?
> https://trendytroodon.blogspot.com/2023/03/robot-revolution-one-where-analog.html

Well - <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feeling_of_Power>
(1958) has an interstellar war /being/ fought with
computers governing weapons, but not evidently started
by the computers. There's a link to read the story online.
As I interpret it, a "precarious balance" mentioned is that
Deneb's computer system can use counter-missiles to
intercept when Earth attacks, and vice versa. How many
missiles are actually launched on any one day isn't clear,
just that any that are launched, are stopped. So it's
money wasted.

In case you think I linked the wrong story, it's also one
where somebody discovers that arithmetic can be done
without a computer.

The story stops before the implications for the war
are fully explored.

And it seems that the extent to which the war is
computerized is novel at the time. But it may have
been copied.

Fredric Brown's story "Answer" (it is Fredric) has various
dates online. ISFDB should be right; it says 1954.
The computer there has... defensive capability.

I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
and don't operate on their own.

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<rrn8Bx.74I@kithrup.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86489&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86489

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 02:31:09 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 02:31 UTC

In article <ed029d83-735f-4f8f-be1c-2d2d8deae041n@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
>had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
>case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
>and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
>when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
>war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
>but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
>and don't operate on their own.

(Hal Heydt)
By the time you get to _Skylark DuQuesne_, the scope is
intergalactic and, in spots, interdimensional.

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<k7i3jmFj1fkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86490&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86490

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Mar 2023 03:03:18 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 03:03 UTC

In article <rrn8Bx.74I@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <ed029d83-735f-4f8f-be1c-2d2d8deae041n@googlegroups.com>,
>Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>>I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
>>had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
>>case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
>>and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
>>when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
>>war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
>>but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
>>and don't operate on their own.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>By the time you get to _Skylark DuQuesne_, the scope is
>intergalactic and, in spots, interdimensional.

Still I don't think there were any computers or AI in the Skylark-verse,
and only barely any in the Lens-verse off to the side.

I said a couple of months ago that I think the only Robots/AI Smith ever
did were in _Cosmos_, though I could be wrong about that.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<0q4dej-qa5.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86492&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86492

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:53:05 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 03:53 UTC

On 17/03/2023 14:03, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <rrn8Bx.74I@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>> In article <ed029d83-735f-4f8f-be1c-2d2d8deae041n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>>> I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
>>> had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
>>> case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
>>> and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
>>> when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
>>> war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
>>> but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
>>> and don't operate on their own.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> By the time you get to _Skylark DuQuesne_, the scope is
>> intergalactic and, in spots, interdimensional.
>
> Still I don't think there were any computers or AI in the Skylark-verse,
> and only barely any in the Lens-verse off to the side.
>
> I said a couple of months ago that I think the only Robots/AI Smith ever
> did were in _Cosmos_, though I could be wrong about that.

There were robots in Goldin's spin-off based on "The Imperial Stars",
but I am blanking as to whether they were mentioned in the original...

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<robertaw-4FFEE9.21525116032023@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86495&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86495

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 21:52:51 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 04:52 UTC

In article <k7i3jmFj1fkU1@mid.individual.net>,
ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> In article <rrn8Bx.74I@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
> >In article <ed029d83-735f-4f8f-be1c-2d2d8deae041n@googlegroups.com>,
> >Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
> >>I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
> >>had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
> >>case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
> >>and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
> >>when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
> >>war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
> >>but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
> >>and don't operate on their own.
> >
> >(Hal Heydt)
> >By the time you get to _Skylark DuQuesne_, the scope is
> >intergalactic and, in spots, interdimensional.
>
> Still I don't think there were any computers or AI in the Skylark-verse,
> and only barely any in the Lens-verse off to the side.

Didn't the "Skylark of Valeron" have some sort of computer?

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<fdcf0352-fe40-4656-92a7-1974e99881f4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86498&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86498

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 05:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:07 UTC

Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <k7i3jm...@mid.individual.net>,
> t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>
> > In article <rrn8B...@kithrup.com>,
> > Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >(Hal Heydt)
> >
> > Still I don't think there were any computers or AI in the Skylark-verse,
> > and only barely any in the Lens-verse off to the side.
> >
> Didn't the "Skylark of Valeron" have some sort of computer?

I think "Spacehounds of IPC" had the word "computer," but it described a job, not a device.

--
-Jack

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<85daaa3a-1f50-4400-86fc-ba6d169e5773n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86499&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86499

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 05:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:11 UTC

On Friday, 17 March 2023 at 03:03:23 UTC, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <rrn8B...@kithrup.com>,
> Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
> >In article <ed029d83-735f-4f8f...@googlegroups.com>,
> >Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
> >>I think Richard Seaton of _The Skylark of Space_
> >>had automatic instantaneous weapons, but the only
> >>case I recall of one firing off seems to be a defensive
> >>and opaque force field. That's to say, you can't see out
> >>when you are inside it. I think in the end he also fights
> >>war throughout the universe, or maybe just this galaxy,
> >>but by then his machines are controlled by his mind
> >>and don't operate on their own.
> >
> >(Hal Heydt)
> >By the time you get to _Skylark DuQuesne_, the scope is
> >intergalactic and, in spots, interdimensional.
> Still I don't think there were any computers or AI in the Skylark-verse,
> and only barely any in the Lens-verse off to the side.
>
> I said a couple of months ago that I think the only Robots/AI Smith ever
> did were in _Cosmos_, though I could be wrong about that.

Well, we're just looking for automatic machinery, not
a thinking machine. There's automation in
"The Machine Stops" (1909). The Machine has self-repair
features. That don't repair themselves. So... the title.
It also has defences and these may be purely automatic.
Committees to supervise the Machine operations
aren't clearly shown to still have any knowledge of
how the Machine works: they may be, in effect,
only ceremonial. But then again, there may be human
hands on the controls, then; not so, nearer to the stop.

I didn't find what I wanted by skimming _Skylark Three_,
but this happens in chapter two - without automatic
firing, though. So that's still open.

"He stared through the telescope sight of an enormous
ray-generator which had automatically aligned itself upon
the distant point of liberation of intra-atomic energy which
had caused the alarm to sound. One hand upon the switch,
his face was hard and merciless as he waited to make sure
of the identity of the approaching space-ship, before he
released the frightful power of his generator upon it."

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<97333bb3-6037-420a-a2ee-d664d27f3702n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86512&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86512

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:01:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: b.mcguin...@gmail.com (Brian McGuinness)
 by: Brian McGuinness - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 22:01 UTC

On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 12:52:56 AM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <k7i3jm...@mid.individual.net>,
> Didn't the "Skylark of Valeron" have some sort of computer?

The Skylark of Valeron had a powerful electronic brain based on "sixth order" radiation. Its user interface was a helmet that it was connected to. The operator gave commands by thinking into this helmet.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68609

--- Brian

Re: Movie review: Colossus The Forbin Project evil computer movie

<20230317a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86520&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86520

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 03:12:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 03:12 UTC

Brian McGuinness wrote:
> Robert Woodward wrote:
>> Didn't the "Skylark of Valeron" have some sort of computer?
>
> The Skylark of Valeron had a powerful electronic brain based on "sixth order"
> radiation. Its user interface was a helmet that it was connected to. The
> operator gave commands by thinking into this helmet.
>
> https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68609

"Your first three objections can be taken care of easily enough,"
Seaton replied positively. "No loss of temperature is possible
through a zone of force-our own discovery. We can stop time with
a stasis-we learned that from watching those four-dimensional
folks work. The power of cosmic radiation is practically infinite
and eternal-we learned how to use that from the pure intellectuals.
Control is the sticker, since it calls for computations and
calculations at present impossible; but I believe that when we get
our mechanical brain done, it will be able to work out even such a
problem as that."
"What d'you mean, mechanical brain?" demanded Dorothy.
"The thing that is going to run our sixth-order projector,"
Seaton explained. "You see, it'll be altogether too big and too
complicated to be controlled manually, and thought-human thought,
at least-is on one band of the sixth order. Therefore the logical
thing to do is to build an artificial brain capable of thinking
on all bands of the order instead of only one, to handle the
whole projector. See?"

###

As a sideshow, an anecdote, allow me to note how the fifth-dimensional
stasis field pertinent to Perry Rhodan's "Prisoner of Time," pulled me
into the Perryverse:

Onot felt a surge of new hope. Of this he could be sure! He
recalled his last piece of scientific work. He had built in
the spatial stabilizer on board the giant space station.
This apparatus had been unique, his latest invention. It
might also be called a time stasis machine. With its help it
was possible to build up a force field in which time became
stationary.

"Earnst Ellert Returns!"

###

Prior to PR's "Prisoner of Time," there was another, earlier soul stuck
in stasis:

Lucy Grantham stared in abject terror at the steadily leveled
weapon aimed directly at her heart. It was not an ordinary
automatic; it was not the sort of weapon she had ever seen
before. Everything owned and created by Bryce Field was far
advanced of normal. He was a master-scientist, a demon, cruel,
ruthless. That much the girl knew.
Her eyes moved slowly from the weapon to Bryce Field's face.
It was lean-jawed, sunken-eyed. Lank, untidy hair sprawled across
his massive forehead. Behind his spare, sinewy form sprawled the
instrument-littered wall of this deep underground cavern.
"So you thought you could play around with the affections of
Bryce Field, did you?" he asked slowly. "You thought you could
make love to me, get me wanting you madly, then kick me out! Yes,
kick me out for that two-cent salesman!" ...

"Who are you to decide my life?" Lucy asked frantically.
Flinging herself forward, she drove her puny fists into his
granite like face. He did not budge an inch, but finally
threw her away from him.
"Mad," she whispered. "Always an egomaniac, and now it
has completely gotten to you! You're insane, Bryce! Insane!"
He was motionless for a moment; then, suddenly putting
aside his weapon, he strode forward, gripped the girl in his
powerful arms and dumped her on the long steel table against
which she had fallen. Before she realized what was happening,
the straps upon it were being buckled into place, across her
throat, her waist, her knees. ...

The girl wriggled desperately in the straps, relaxed again
with rasping breath. Her eyes fixed themselves on Bryce Field's
merciless visage.
"You, Lucy, shall be the victim of entropy!" he said softly.
"Naturally, you don't know what entropy is, do you?"
"You know I don't!" she shrieked. "Bryce, stop torturing me
like this. Let me go!"
"Entropy," he stated calmly, as though delivering a lecture,
"is the increasing disorder of the universe, the process by
which the universe gradually moves towards thermodynamic
equilibrium. It can be likened to a perpetual shuffling, the
disorder getting worse with every shuffle. Just like disordering
a deck of cards when playing bridge with Reggie and your thin-
brained friends."
"Bryce, Bryce, in God's name-"
"If only you had read Eddington while at school you might
know something about entropy," Bryce Field said. "However, I
have made it as clear as I can. Recently-" His tone changed to
grim menace- "I fell to wondering what would happen if I created
a non-entropy state, wherein nothing ever happened! So I decided
to create a specific area - in this cavern to be exact - wherein
molecular shuffling would achieve sudden and absolute
equilibrium, a space wherein the ultimate of entropy would be
reached instantly, instead of in a thousand, a million, ten
million years' time. Do you understand me?"
Lucy was beyond answering.
"Yes," he said, his voice harsh with grim triumph, "I
discovered how to create an entropy globe - a globe of force
whose walls have attained absolute equilibrium, whose vibrations
extend inwards to everything inside the globe. Therefore, what-
ever is in the globe will by plunged into a state of non-time.
Entropy will be halted. Progress will stop!
"You," he said slowly, "are going to be in that globe, Lucy!
At your feet is one magnet, at your head another. Between them
they will build up the hemisphere of the entropy globe, and
within it time for you will cease to be. You will be plunged
into an eternal 'now' from which release may never come - or,
if it does, it will be at a far distant time when scientists
as clever as I find the way to unlock your prison."

"Prisoner of Time" (Cross)

Danke,