Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed. -- Irene Peter

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....

SubjectAuthor
* (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichJames Nicoll
+- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDon
+* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
|`* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDavid Johnston
| `* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichTitus G
|  `- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
+* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichTitus G
|`* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
| `* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichTitus G
|  `* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
|   +- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
|   `* Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) TheTitus G
|    +* Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) TheTitus G
|    |`- Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....pete...@gmail.com
|    `* Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....Quadibloc
|     `* Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) TheTitus G
|      `* Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....Quadibloc
|       `* Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) TheTitus G
|        `- Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....Quadibloc
`* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDavid Brown
 +* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichJames Nicoll
 |`* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDimensional Traveler
 | +- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDavid Brown
 | `- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
 `* Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichQuadibloc
  `- Re: (tears but also OT) The Population Bomb by Paul R. EhrlichDavid Brown

Pages:12
Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....

<570bceed-a76d-4e0b-8a9f-3559e96b2865n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86715&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86715

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:10:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Well OT. Fourbricks and Politics Was: (tears but also OT) The Popu....
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:10 UTC

On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 12:11:18 AM UTC-6, Titus G wrote:
> On 22/03/23 19:05, Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 10:28:27 PM UTC-6, Titus G wrote:
> >
> >> https://fair.org/home/what-you-should-really-know-about-ukraine/
> >
> > Vicious lies.
>
> You are beyond hope.

The feeling is mutual. I don't deny that these lies have an element of
truth in some of them... but that just makes them "a harder matter
to fight".

I mean, really. Poland is in NATO. Are Poland's cities being shelled?

So it's obvious why it would have been a good thing for Ukraine to be in
NATO.

And that Yanyukovych brutally suppressed opposition, and wasted the
people's money on things like a private zoo for himself... these are facts.

Or that they don't have fair elections in Russia. To prevent Gary Kasparov
from running against him, Putin made a law requiring a big nomination
meeting, and then intimidated anyone with a suitable hall to rent so no one
would rent one to Kasparov.

And Putin actually said he didn't want anything in Ukraine beyond Crimea.
So he lied to us. Not only that, but it's the *same* lie Hitler told about the
Sudetenland. And, of course, the lies about Russians being persecuted are
just like Hitler's lies about the Sudeten Germans.

The idea that countries right on Russia's borders joining NATO is some kind
of "threat" is laughable. If we felt like starting World War III by invading Russia,
Russia's invasion of Ukraine would have just been the thing to overcome any
remaining reluctance. So if Russia invading Ukraine hasn't led to Russia being
invaded, Ukraine being in NATO wouldn't have either.

And why does Ukraine want to join NATO, besides that it would have been a
way to have ironclad protection (since Putin is a liar, his promises mean nothing)
against being invaded?

Perhaps you're not aware of Ukraine's long history with Russia.

http://www.quadibloc.com/other/timeline.htm

I've prepared a handy guide. From the current invasion to the Holodomor to the
tsars.

I know the U.S. is not perfect. I haven't forgotten Arbenz, for example.

Because Putin chose to be a fascist instead of a Communist, Big Business
didn't see him as an existential threat, so while there was a very alert
response - with excesses, such as McCarthyism - to Communism, the
response to Putin was lackadaisical, just as the response to Hitler and
Mussolini was lackadaisical back in the day.

Now that Ukraine has been invaded, the world has *finally* awakened to the
deadly menace Putin presents. Unfortunately, learning the lessons of Munich
doesn't exactly help that much because this time, he has nukes.

Or, for just a *tiny* example, enough to prove that Putin is evil, remember May
23, 2021, when a Ryanair flight, passing over Belarus, was diverted under
false pretenses so that Belarusian authorities could seize a political dissident
criticizing their regime from abroad.

This is the kind of mad dictator Putin supports. In a just world, it would have
led to immediate regime change in Belarus.

John Savard