In the stairway of life, you'd best take the elevator.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

SubjectAuthor
* "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,Lynn McGuire
`* Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translatedDon
 +* Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translatedted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 |`- Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translatedDon
 `- Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,Lynn McGuire

1
"Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tvim4c$1b61d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86747&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86747

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:07:56 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 23:07 UTC

"Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Under-Stars-Druufon-68-Darlton/dp/B000HT4FGE/

Book number sixty-eight of a series of one hundred and thirty-six space
opera books in English. The original German books, actually pamphlets,
number in the thousands. The English books started with two translated
German stories per book translated by Wendayne Ackerman and transitioned
to one story per book with the sixth book. And then they transition
back to two stories in book #109/110. The Ace publisher dropped out at
#118, so Forrest and Wendayne Ackerman published books #119 to #136 in
pamphlets before stopping in 1978. The German books were written from
1961 to present time, having sold two billion copies and even recently
been rebooted again. I read the well printed and well bound book
published by Ace in 1975 that I had to be very careful with due to age.
I bought an almost complete box of Perry Rhodans a decade or two ago on
ebay that I am finally getting to since I lost my original Perry Rhodans
in The Great Flood of 1989. In fact, I now own book #1 to book #106,
plus the Atlan books.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

BTW, this is actually book number 76 of the German pamphlets written in
1963. There is a very good explanation of the plot in German on the
Perrypedia German website of all of the PR books. There is automatic
Google translation available for English, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese,
French, and Portuguese.
https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Unter_den_Sternen_von_Druufon

In this alternate universe, USSF Major Perry Rhodan and his three fellow
astronauts blasted off in a three stage rocket to the Moon in 1971. The
first stage of the rocket was chemical, the second and third stages were
nuclear. After crashing on the Moon due to a strange radio
interference, they discover a massive crashed alien spaceship with an
aged male scientist (Khrest), a female commander (Thora), and a crew of
500. It has been over sixty-nine years since then and the Solar Empire
has flourished with tens of millions of people and many spaceships
headquartered in the Gobi desert, the city of Terrania. Perry Rhodan
has been elected by the people of Earth to be the World Administrator
and keep them from being taken over by the robot administrator of Arkon.

Atlan, Perry Rhodan, Reginald Bell, and a crew take two 1,500 meter
Titan spaceships, the Drusus and the Kublai Khan, and the 100 meter
cruiser, the California, into the Druuf space from the Grautier planet
system, Myrtha. Perry Rhodan has decided that the enemy (the Druufs) of
my enemy (the Robot Regent of Arkon) is a good ploy and reaches out to
the Druufs. They land on Druufon where the Council of 66 immediately
proceeds to try to take Perry Rhodan hostage.

BTW, there is a two part serial of the marriage of Perry Rhodan and
Thora of Arkon started in this issue. This short story was written by
Clark Darlton specifically for the English book series but, written in
German so it had to be translated also by Wendy Ackerman.

Two observations:
1. Forrest Ackerman should have put two or three of the translated
stories in each book. Having two stories in the first five books worked
out well. Just having one story in the book is too short and would
never allow the translated books to catch up to the German originals.
2. Anyone liking Perry Rhodan and wanting a more up to date story should
read the totally awesome "Mutineer's Moon" Dahak series of three books
by David Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

My rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 0 out of 5 stars (0 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20230323a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86753&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86753

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:32:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:32 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
> translated by Wendayne Ackerman
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Under-Stars-Druufon-68-Darlton/dp/B000HT4FGE/.

<snip>

> <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Unter_den_Sternen_von_Druufon>

<snip>

> Atlan, Perry Rhodan, Reginald Bell, and a crew take two 1,500 meter
> Titan spaceships, the Drusus and the Kublai Khan, and the 100 meter
> cruiser, the California, into the Druuf space from the Grautier planet
> system, Myrtha. Perry Rhodan has decided that the enemy (the Druufs) of
> my enemy (the Robot Regent of Arkon) is a good ploy and reaches out to
> the Druufs. They land on Druufon where the Council of 66 immediately
> proceeds to try to take Perry Rhodan hostage.
>
> BTW, there is a two part serial of the marriage of Perry Rhodan and
> Thora of Arkon started in this issue. This short story was written by
> Clark Darlton specifically for the English book series but, written in
> German so it had to be translated also by Wendy Ackerman.

IMHO the "Thora Discovers Perrydise" short sublimely showcases Darlton's
talent to type up the typical telegraphing tinsel town TV treatment.
IOW, this short proves to me Darlton's potential to write a superlative
_Star Trek_ script.
He wrote it while "in residence" at the Ackermansion. Only now,
thanks to you, does it become clear how he used a German typewriter to
do it.
This event marks the high point of the Ackerman's PR opus, IMHO.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<k84l8qFf6knU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86754&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86754

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Mar 2023 03:55:06 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 03:55 UTC

In article <20230323a@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
>> translated by Wendayne Ackerman
>>

><https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Under-Stars-Druufon-68-Darlton/dp/B000HT4FGE/.
>
><snip>
>
>> <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Unter_den_Sternen_von_Druufon>
>
><snip>
>
>> Atlan, Perry Rhodan, Reginald Bell, and a crew take two 1,500 meter
>> Titan spaceships, the Drusus and the Kublai Khan, and the 100 meter
>> cruiser, the California, into the Druuf space from the Grautier planet
>> system, Myrtha. Perry Rhodan has decided that the enemy (the Druufs) of
>> my enemy (the Robot Regent of Arkon) is a good ploy and reaches out to
>> the Druufs. They land on Druufon where the Council of 66 immediately
>> proceeds to try to take Perry Rhodan hostage.
>>
>> BTW, there is a two part serial of the marriage of Perry Rhodan and
>> Thora of Arkon started in this issue. This short story was written by
>> Clark Darlton specifically for the English book series but, written in
>> German so it had to be translated also by Wendy Ackerman.
>
>IMHO the "Thora Discovers Perrydise" short sublimely showcases Darlton's
>talent to type up the typical telegraphing tinsel town TV treatment.
>IOW, this short proves to me Darlton's potential to write a superlative
>_Star Trek_ script.
> He wrote it while "in residence" at the Ackermansion. Only now,
>thanks to you, does it become clear how he used a German typewriter to
>do it.
> This event marks the high point of the Ackerman's PR opus, IMHO.
>
>Danke,

I had to code on a German keyboard for a couple of hours once -- it was
pretty traumatic.

I think the Cardiff affair, the death of Khrest & particularly the death
of Thora kind of pulled me out of the flow of PR a bit and made me start
to wonder about the direction of the series. I wonder if any of that
was forshadowed in the Darlton story, which I can't recall at all now.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<tvj9fv$1h94q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86758&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86758

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
translated by Wendayne Ackerman
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 23:38:20 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 04:38 UTC

On 3/23/2023 10:32 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
>> translated by Wendayne Ackerman
>>
>> <https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Under-Stars-Druufon-68-Darlton/dp/B000HT4FGE/.
>
> <snip>
>
>> <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Unter_den_Sternen_von_Druufon>
>
> <snip>
>
>> Atlan, Perry Rhodan, Reginald Bell, and a crew take two 1,500 meter
>> Titan spaceships, the Drusus and the Kublai Khan, and the 100 meter
>> cruiser, the California, into the Druuf space from the Grautier planet
>> system, Myrtha. Perry Rhodan has decided that the enemy (the Druufs) of
>> my enemy (the Robot Regent of Arkon) is a good ploy and reaches out to
>> the Druufs. They land on Druufon where the Council of 66 immediately
>> proceeds to try to take Perry Rhodan hostage.
>>
>> BTW, there is a two part serial of the marriage of Perry Rhodan and
>> Thora of Arkon started in this issue. This short story was written by
>> Clark Darlton specifically for the English book series but, written in
>> German so it had to be translated also by Wendy Ackerman.
>
> IMHO the "Thora Discovers Perrydise" short sublimely showcases Darlton's
> talent to type up the typical telegraphing tinsel town TV treatment.
> IOW, this short proves to me Darlton's potential to write a superlative
> _Star Trek_ script.
> He wrote it while "in residence" at the Ackermansion. Only now,
> thanks to you, does it become clear how he used a German typewriter to
> do it.
> This event marks the high point of the Ackerman's PR opus, IMHO.
>
> Danke,

Clark Darlton (actually Walter Ernsting) passed away in 2005. So I
doubt that he will be writing any more SF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ernsting

Since Wendy Ackerman taught German and French at the local junior
college, I guess that she would have a German typewriter and a French
typewriter ?

Lynn

Re: "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton, translated by Wendayne Ackerman

<20230324a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86762&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86762

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:59:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:59 UTC

Ted Nolan wrote:
> Don wrote:
>>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Under the Stars of Druufon (Perry Rhodan #68)" by Clark Darlton,
>>> translated by Wendayne Ackerman
>>>

>><https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Rhodan-Under-Stars-Druufon-68-Darlton/dp/B000HT4FGE/.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Unter_den_Sternen_von_Druufon>
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> Atlan, Perry Rhodan, Reginald Bell, and a crew take two 1,500 meter
>>> Titan spaceships, the Drusus and the Kublai Khan, and the 100 meter
>>> cruiser, the California, into the Druuf space from the Grautier planet
>>> system, Myrtha. Perry Rhodan has decided that the enemy (the Druufs) of
>>> my enemy (the Robot Regent of Arkon) is a good ploy and reaches out to
>>> the Druufs. They land on Druufon where the Council of 66 immediately
>>> proceeds to try to take Perry Rhodan hostage.
>>>
>>> BTW, there is a two part serial of the marriage of Perry Rhodan and
>>> Thora of Arkon started in this issue. This short story was written by
>>> Clark Darlton specifically for the English book series but, written in
>>> German so it had to be translated also by Wendy Ackerman.
>>
>>IMHO the "Thora Discovers Perrydise" short sublimely showcases Darlton's
>>talent to type up the typical telegraphing tinsel town TV treatment.
>>IOW, this short proves to me Darlton's potential to write a superlative
>>_Star Trek_ script.
>> He wrote it while "in residence" at the Ackermansion. Only now,
>>thanks to you, does it become clear how he used a German typewriter to
>>do it.
>> This event marks the high point of the Ackerman's PR opus, IMHO.
>
> I had to code on a German keyboard for a couple of hours once -- it was
> pretty traumatic.
>
> I think the Cardiff affair, the death of Khrest & particularly the death
> of Thora kind of pulled me out of the flow of PR a bit and made me start
> to wonder about the direction of the series. I wonder if any of that
> was forshadowed in the Darlton story, which I can't recall at all now.

***spoiler***

Darlton's short's a formulaic "boy and girl who don't like each other
share a private comfy research ship where they rub each other the wrong
way." It's blatantly obvious to casual onlookers how the two are
actually soulmates.
For tension relief, Pucky eventually intervenes and runs
interference long enough for it to slowly sink into Darlton's doltish
dual how they're made for each other.
Somewhere in the story, there's the telegraphed solution to "carrots
mysteriously missing from the refrigerator." Surprise! (not) It turns
out everyone's favorite mousebeaver surreptitiously stole and ate the
carrots. (Cutaway to closeup of Kirk's lopsided, knowing grin.)
It's cringeworthy enough for prime time, in other words. Add a dash
of Kirk, Spock, and Bones to season it into a fully baked _Star Trek_
script. In an alternate universe, of course, given Trek TOS and
Darlton's demise.
None of the above is intended to impugn script writers. As more-or-
less originally noted, it takes talent to write authentic
cringeworthiness into a script.

Danke,