A handful of friends is worth more than a wagon of gold.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

SubjectAuthor
* OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Titus G
+* Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.pete...@gmail.com
|`* Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Default User
| `* Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Paul S Person
|  `* Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Jay E. Morris
|   `- Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Paul S Person
`* Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Robert Carnegie
 `- Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.Paul S Person

1
OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<tvlh88$1t4ir$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86775&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86775

From: noo...@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:03:04 +1300
 by: Titus G - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 01:03 UTC

An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
I have just begun the four book series, Terra Ignota, where the first
book is about 600 pages and having been binge reading Ruth Rendell's non
Wrexford novels of two to three hundred pages each with a host of
wierdos, misfits and victims in every book with their own birth name,
alias and sometimes nickname, I have more names in my head than Dimwire
has brain cells, (but less than the number of Fourbrick's girlfriends.
That reminds me. When is Jibini returning?).
When a new character is introduced, (and when the character is not new
but there has been insufficient empty assembler instruction space in
memory to store any more data), I stick my forefinger on the name and
"Search this Book". The number of search results indicates the
importance of the new character to the story and if having been met
already, a venetian window of small exerts is sufficient to jog my memory.
Does anyone else have e-reader discoveries impossible in paper books?

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<924c4a41-960e-41bd-b65b-ea077e7aed95n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86778&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86778

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 01:54 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 9:03:08 PM UTC-4, Titus G wrote:
> An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
> I have just begun the four book series, Terra Ignota, where the first
> book is about 600 pages and having been binge reading Ruth Rendell's non
> Wrexford novels of two to three hundred pages each with a host of
> wierdos, misfits and victims in every book with their own birth name,
> alias and sometimes nickname, I have more names in my head than Dimwire
> has brain cells, (but less than the number of Fourbrick's girlfriends.
> That reminds me. When is Jibini returning?).
> When a new character is introduced, (and when the character is not new
> but there has been insufficient empty assembler instruction space in
> memory to store any more data), I stick my forefinger on the name and
> "Search this Book". The number of search results indicates the
> importance of the new character to the story and if having been met
> already, a venetian window of small exerts is sufficient to jog my memory..
> Does anyone else have e-reader discoveries impossible in paper books?

Resizable fonts are a boon for us with older eyes.
ptt

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<tvlonf$212b8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86780&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86780

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:10:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:10 UTC

pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 9:03:08 PM UTC-4, Titus G wrote:
>> An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

[searching names]

>Resizable fonts are a boon for us with older eyes.

That's one that didn't occur to me until I started using on e-reader,
but it is really nice. I also like looking up words, especially when
reading a British author.

Brian

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<73f77169-733b-430e-880a-e8bbbe2bcc41n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86784&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86784

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:58:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 10:58 UTC

On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 01:03:08 UTC, Titus G wrote:
> An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
> I have just begun the four book series, Terra Ignota, where the first
> book is about 600 pages and having been binge reading Ruth Rendell's non
> Wrexford novels of two to three hundred pages each with a host of
> wierdos, misfits and victims in every book with their own birth name,
> alias and sometimes nickname, I have more names in my head than Dimwire
> has brain cells, (but less than the number of Fourbrick's girlfriends.
> That reminds me. When is Jibini returning?).

I think he's Paul S. Person. But I may be mistaken.

> When a new character is introduced, (and when the character is not new
> but there has been insufficient empty assembler instruction space in
> memory to store any more data), I stick my forefinger on the name and
> "Search this Book". The number of search results indicates the
> importance of the new character to the story and if having been met
> already, a venetian window of small exerts is sufficient to jog my memory.
> Does anyone else have e-reader discoveries impossible in paper books?

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<s76u1ih2ug2htkg4ogrfkq3ir6jvbb227e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86790&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86790

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:57:53 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:57 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:10:40 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
<defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

>pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 9:03:08?PM UTC-4, Titus G wrote:
>>> An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
>
>[searching names]
>
>>Resizable fonts are a boon for us with older eyes.
>
>That's one that didn't occur to me until I started using on e-reader,
>but it is really nice. I also like looking up words, especially when
>reading a British author.

I find that works easier with my older Kindle (the one without a touch
screen) as bringing up the dictionary is only a button-press away.
With the touch-screen I have to

1. highlight a word it can find in the dictionary
2. press the three dots
3. choose the item that will open the dictionary

OTOH, footnotes (when actually done right) actually work better with
the touch screen -- well, once I adjust the line spacing so I am
touching the footnote number instead of a randomnly-selected bit of
adjacent text. The older Kindle relies on my moving the cursor over
one more time to get the special mark for "footnote" and the
corresponding choice to appear.

--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<9g6u1i15dnh878clnuiv5ov10a6m28soj6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86791&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86791

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:58:19 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:58 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:58:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 01:03:08 UTC, Titus G wrote:
>> An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.
>> I have just begun the four book series, Terra Ignota, where the first
>> book is about 600 pages and having been binge reading Ruth Rendell's non
>> Wrexford novels of two to three hundred pages each with a host of
>> wierdos, misfits and victims in every book with their own birth name,
>> alias and sometimes nickname, I have more names in my head than Dimwire
>> has brain cells, (but less than the number of Fourbrick's girlfriends.
>> That reminds me. When is Jibini returning?).
>
>I think he's Paul S. Person. But I may be mistaken.

You are very much mistaken.

But thanks for asking.

>> When a new character is introduced, (and when the character is not new
>> but there has been insufficient empty assembler instruction space in
>> memory to store any more data), I stick my forefinger on the name and
>> "Search this Book". The number of search results indicates the
>> importance of the new character to the story and if having been met
>> already, a venetian window of small exerts is sufficient to jog my memory.
>> Does anyone else have e-reader discoveries impossible in paper books?
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<tvocn5$2heoq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86811&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86811

From: morr...@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 22:04:05 -0500
 by: Jay E. Morris - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 03:04 UTC

On 3/25/2023 10:57 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:10:40 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
> <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>> [searching names]
>>
>>> Resizable fonts are a boon for us with older eyes.
>>
>> That's one that didn't occur to me until I started using on e-reader,
>> but it is really nice. I also like looking up words, especially when
>> reading a British author.
>
> I find that works easier with my older Kindle (the one without a touch
> screen) as bringing up the dictionary is only a button-press away.
> With the touch-screen I have to
>
> 1. highlight a word it can find in the dictionary
> 2. press the three dots
> 3. choose the item that will open the dictionary

On my Samsung tablet with the Kindle reader if I long press on a word it
highlights and brings up a menu bar above the word. A couple seconds
later a dictionary and Wikipedia window appear at the bottom. I don't
know if the delay is just how long it takes to get the dictionary and
Wiki info or if it's saying, OK you haven't made a selection so I'll
bring up the windows.

> OTOH, footnotes (when actually done right) actually work better with
> the touch screen -- well, once I adjust the line spacing so I am
> touching the footnote number instead of a randomnly-selected bit of
> adjacent text. The older Kindle relies on my moving the cursor over
> one more time to get the special mark for "footnote" and the
> corresponding choice to appear.

Re: OT An Extra Benefit From Using My Kindle.

<gmp02ilhee5b6ram05n33j0sm2rj8p8f59@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86820&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86820

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:42:56 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 15:42 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 22:04:05 -0500, "Jay E. Morris"
<morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:

>On 3/25/2023 10:57 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:10:40 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
>> <defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> [searching names]

>>> That's one that didn't occur to me until I started using on e-reader,
>>> but it is really nice. I also like looking up words, especially when
>>> reading a British author.
>>
>> I find that works easier with my older Kindle (the one without a touch
>> screen) as bringing up the dictionary is only a button-press away.
>> With the touch-screen I have to
>>
>> 1. highlight a word it can find in the dictionary
>> 2. press the three dots
>> 3. choose the item that will open the dictionary
>
>On my Samsung tablet with the Kindle reader if I long press on a word it
>highlights and brings up a menu bar above the word. A couple seconds
>later a dictionary and Wikipedia window appear at the bottom. I don't
>know if the delay is just how long it takes to get the dictionary and
>Wiki info or if it's saying, OK you haven't made a selection so I'll
>bring up the windows.

That's what my touch-screen Kindle (the newer one) does. It is
searching the dictionary and Wikipedia, which is not instantaneous
(particularly Wikipedia which, of course, is not stored on the
device). The "three dots" open up a menu including "go to dictionary"
(which opens the dictionary as a book) -- but only if the word was
/found/ in the dictionary.

Additional boxes may appear, particularly if the book is afflicted
with "X-Ray", a demonic bit of utter nonsense.

I've gotten used to it, but, on the whole, I prefer my older kindle,
with actual buttons to press.