From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (OT) Breaking News from PW
Date: 25 Mar 2023 18:09:02 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:09 UTC

"BREAKING: A federal judge has decided in favor of four publishers
in the long-awaited copyright case Hachette v. Internet Archive.
"There is nothing transformative about IA's copying and unauthorized
lending of the works in the suit," the judge writes. This story
is developing."

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Might be a good idea to find the Wayback Machine a new home.

Re: (OT) Breaking News from PW

<11q02i5bhl0grmrjv0ta0cdip6nrllq3fh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86821&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86821

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: (OT) Breaking News from PW
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:46:45 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 15:46 UTC

On 25 Mar 2023 18:09:02 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
wrote:

>"BREAKING: A federal judge has decided in favor of four publishers
>in the long-awaited copyright case Hachette v. Internet Archive.
>"There is nothing transformative about IA's copying and unauthorized
>lending of the works in the suit," the judge writes. This story
>is developing."
>
>https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>
>Might be a good idea to find the Wayback Machine a new home.

I read a story on that yesterday on the Win 10 News thingy. The
problem appears to be that they were /buying/ copyrighted books,
/scanning them/ without a license to do so, and then /lending/ them
out to all and sundry.

Several years ago I read a story in /Christianity Today/ about the
fact that some Music Directors were copying sheet music, which may
have been sent as samples to entice them to buy multiple copies, and
were now being sued. So making copies of copyrighted works is still
not a good idea, generally speaking.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: (OT) Breaking News from PW

<tvpsro$sk5$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86822&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86822

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:45:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:45 UTC

In article <11q02i5bhl0grmrjv0ta0cdip6nrllq3fh@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On 25 Mar 2023 18:09:02 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
>wrote:
>
>>"BREAKING: A federal judge has decided in favor of four publishers
>>in the long-awaited copyright case Hachette v. Internet Archive.
>>"There is nothing transformative about IA's copying and unauthorized
>>lending of the works in the suit," the judge writes. This story
>>is developing."
>>
>>https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>
>>Might be a good idea to find the Wayback Machine a new home.
>
>I read a story on that yesterday on the Win 10 News thingy. The
>problem appears to be that they were /buying/ copyrighted books,
>/scanning them/ without a license to do so, and then /lending/ them
>out to all and sundry.

If I understand correctly, what provoked the lawsuit was an IA
decision in 2020 to offer covid relief to people by removing
the limit on simultaneous loans. So, one book bought, one book
scanned, potentially an infinite number of simultanous copies.

Re: (OT) Breaking News from PW

<eig32ipjjs6q6okol6tff5hgj408qvflkd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86845&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86845

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 09:20:39 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:20 UTC

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:45:44 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>In article <11q02i5bhl0grmrjv0ta0cdip6nrllq3fh@4ax.com>,
>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>>On 25 Mar 2023 18:09:02 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"BREAKING: A federal judge has decided in favor of four publishers
>>>in the long-awaited copyright case Hachette v. Internet Archive.
>>>"There is nothing transformative about IA's copying and unauthorized
>>>lending of the works in the suit," the judge writes. This story
>>>is developing."
>>>
>>>https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>>
>>>Might be a good idea to find the Wayback Machine a new home.
>>
>>I read a story on that yesterday on the Win 10 News thingy. The
>>problem appears to be that they were /buying/ copyrighted books,
>>/scanning them/ without a license to do so, and then /lending/ them
>>out to all and sundry.
>>
>If I understand correctly, what provoked the lawsuit was an IA
>decision in 2020 to offer covid relief to people by removing
>the limit on simultaneous loans. So, one book bought, one book
>scanned, potentially an infinite number of simultanous copies.

Exactly.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: (OT) Breaking News from PW

<tvsovm$3b9ek$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86854&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86854

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:57:58 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 18:57 UTC

On 3/26/2023 11:45 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <11q02i5bhl0grmrjv0ta0cdip6nrllq3fh@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>> On 25 Mar 2023 18:09:02 -0000, jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "BREAKING: A federal judge has decided in favor of four publishers
>>> in the long-awaited copyright case Hachette v. Internet Archive.
>>> "There is nothing transformative about IA's copying and unauthorized
>>> lending of the works in the suit," the judge writes. This story
>>> is developing."
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>>
>>> Might be a good idea to find the Wayback Machine a new home.
>>
>> I read a story on that yesterday on the Win 10 News thingy. The
>> problem appears to be that they were /buying/ copyrighted books,
>> /scanning them/ without a license to do so, and then /lending/ them
>> out to all and sundry.
>>
> If I understand correctly, what provoked the lawsuit was an IA
> decision in 2020 to offer covid relief to people by removing
> the limit on simultaneous loans. So, one book bought, one book
> scanned, potentially an infinite number of simultanous copies.

It is roughly the same thing that Google was proposing to do.

Lynn