To err is human, To purr feline. -- Robert Byrne

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

SubjectAuthor
* "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvela425couple
 +* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelRobert Carnegie
 |`* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelLynn McGuire
 | `* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelRobert Carnegie
 |  `- Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelLynn McGuire
 `* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelLynn McGuire
  `* Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvela425couple
   `- Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain NeuvelLynn McGuire

1
"Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<tvq7vb$2r65k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86829&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86829

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 14:55:21 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:55 UTC

"Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Giants-Themis-Sylvain-Neuvel/dp/1101886714/

Book number one of a three book science fiction series about giant
robots. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
published by Del Rey Books in 2016 that I purchased new from Amazon. I
have ordered books two and three for future reading.

This book is written in the style of interviews with various people.
Much like the book "World War Z". Except, the prologue is written in
conventional first person style.

On her 11th birthday, Rose Franklin was riding her new bike in the woods
near her house. She see a eerie turquoise light and gets off her bike
to investigate. Walking towards the glow, she suddenly falls through
the soil and lands in a giant metal hand.

Twenty years later, Dr. Rose Franklin is leading the research team
investigating the giant metal hand. And then another part of the giant
robot is found.

Dan Livingston recommended this book to me:
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/review-sleeping-giants-by-sylvain-neuvel/

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<eKiUL.1828716$9sn9.117515@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86841&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86841

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:36:42 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:36 UTC

------------------

> My rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)

I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
until an irritation kept growing....

Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
and they find a floating treasure chest,
pull along side it, open it, and find it
is full of broken glass?
One of them wants to pull the chest into the
inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!

Why in the world are they trying to put this
huge indestructible robot back together?

Some things are really best just left alone!!

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<48be7a7c-b56b-400d-97ef-dfd425007d90n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86850&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86850

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:35:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 17:35 UTC

On Monday, 27 March 2023 at 16:36:47 UTC+1, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/26/23 12:55, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Giants-Themis-Sylvain-Neuvel/dp/1101886714/
> >
> > Book number one of a three book science fiction series about giant
> > robots. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
> > published by Del Rey Books in 2016 that I purchased new from Amazon. I
> > have ordered books two and three for future reading.
> >
> > This book is written in the style of interviews with various people.
> > Much like the book "World War Z". Except, the prologue is written in
> > conventional first person style.
> ------------------
> >
> > My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
> > Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)
> >
> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
> until an irritation kept growing....
>
> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
> and they find a floating treasure chest,
> pull along side it, open it, and find it
> is full of broken glass?
> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
>
> Why in the world are they trying to put this
> huge indestructible robot back together?
>
> Some things are really best just left alone!!

The title is plural. Maybe other countries
found giant robot limbs and now we're in an
international arm race.

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<tvspba$3b9ek$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86856&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86856

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:04:10 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 19:04 UTC

On 3/27/2023 10:36 AM, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/26/23 12:55, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Giants-Themis-Sylvain-Neuvel/dp/1101886714/
>>
>> Book number one of a three book science fiction series about giant
>> robots.  I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>> published by Del Rey Books in 2016 that I purchased new from Amazon.
>> I have ordered books two and three for future reading.
>>
>> This book is written in the style of interviews with various people.
>> Much like the book "World War Z".  Except, the prologue is written in
>> conventional first person style.
> ------------------
>>
>> My rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating:  4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)
>>

> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
> until an irritation kept growing....
>
> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
> and they find a floating treasure chest,
> pull along side it, open it, and find it
> is full of broken glass?
> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
>
> Why in the world are they trying to put this
> huge indestructible robot back together?
>
> Some things are really best just left alone!!

Somebody somewhere is going to find all the robot parts and put them
together. Pandora's box comes to mind. The Manhattan Project comes to
mind.

*** S P O I L E R ***

And it is just a matter of time until the Galactic Emperor checks on
Earth and decides to do something. And he owns a LOT of giant robots.
And an FTL star drive.

Lynn

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<tvspcj$3b9ek$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86857&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86857

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:04:51 -0500

On 3/27/2023 12:35 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Monday, 27 March 2023 at 16:36:47 UTC+1, a425couple wrote:
>> On 3/26/23 12:55, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Giants-Themis-Sylvain-Neuvel/dp/1101886714/
>>>
>>> Book number one of a three book science fiction series about giant
>>> robots. I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>>> published by Del Rey Books in 2016 that I purchased new from Amazon. I
>>> have ordered books two and three for future reading.
>>>
>>> This book is written in the style of interviews with various people.
>>> Much like the book "World War Z". Except, the prologue is written in
>>> conventional first person style.
>> ------------------
>>>
>>> My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)
>>>
>> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
>> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
>> until an irritation kept growing....
>>
>> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
>> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
>> and they find a floating treasure chest,
>> pull along side it, open it, and find it
>> is full of broken glass?
>> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
>> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
>>
>> Why in the world are they trying to put this
>> huge indestructible robot back together?
>>
>> Some things are really best just left alone!!
>
> The title is plural. Maybe other countries
> found giant robot limbs and now we're in an
> international arm race.

Don't assume that all of the other robots are on Earth.

Lynn

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<c993cae1-f43b-428c-8c75-009fb53a678en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86860&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86860

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 20:54 UTC

On Monday, 27 March 2023 at 20:04:55 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/27/2023 12:35 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:

> >> ------------------

> >> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
> >> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
> >> until an irritation kept growing....
> >>
> >> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
> >> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
> >> and they find a floating treasure chest,
> >> pull along side it, open it, and find it
> >> is full of broken glass?
> >> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
> >> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
> >>
> >> Why in the world are they trying to put this
> >> huge indestructible robot back together?
> >>
> >> Some things are really best just left alone!!
> >
> > The title is plural. Maybe other countries
> > found giant robot limbs and now we're in an
> > international arm race.
> Don't assume that all of the other robots are on Earth.

That Transforms the situation.

I may remember wrong, I think we get one of these per planet:
<https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_64>

Somewhat reminiscent of "The Sentinel", Arthur C. Clarke version,
not X-Men version, but that too.
<https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sentinel_MK_I>
....more or less. Look, I watch Doctor Who, but those
are goofy. First Doctor Cybermen goofy, I suppose.

I think some over-broad search and replace led to
the Fantastic Four article identifying its giant robot as
"Sentry Vol 1 459" instead of Sentry 459.

I think the Red Skull's Sleepers were underground too,
I may be mistaken.
<https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sleepers_%28Robots%29>
Doing the King Arthur / Barbarossa thing, I suppose.

Ted Hughes wrote _The Iron Man_ after all of these
as well as Tony Stark's little brainwave.

Also see
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Buried_Giant>
and of course
<https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1013:_Wake_Up_Sheeple>

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<tvt34f$3d54e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86862&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86862

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:51:11 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 21:51 UTC

On 3/27/2023 3:54 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Monday, 27 March 2023 at 20:04:55 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> The title is plural. Maybe other countries
>>> found giant robot limbs and now we're in an
>>> international arm race.
>> Don't assume that all of the other robots are on Earth.
>
> That Transforms the situation.

I see what you did there.

Lynn

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<Qn_UL.1715902$iS99.785427@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86920&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86920

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 10:16:31 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:16 UTC

On 3/27/23 12:04, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/27/2023 10:36 AM, a425couple wrote:
>> On 3/26/23 12:55, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Giants-Themis-Sylvain-Neuvel/dp/1101886714/
>>>
>>> Book number one of a three book science fiction series about giant
>>> robots.  I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback
>>> published by Del Rey Books in 2016 that I purchased new from Amazon.
>>> I have ordered books two and three for future reading.
>>>
>>> This book is written in the style of interviews with various people.
>>> Much like the book "World War Z".  Except, the prologue is written in
>>> conventional first person style.
>> ------------------
>>>
>>> My rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating:  4.1 out of 5 stars (4,050 reviews)
>>>

>> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
>> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
>> until an irritation kept growing....
>>
>> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
>> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
>> and they find a floating treasure chest,
>> pull along side it, open it, and find it
>> is full of broken glass?
>> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
>> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
>>
>> Why in the world are they trying to put this
>> huge indestructible robot back together?
>>
>> Some things are really best just left alone!!
>
> Somebody somewhere is going to find all the robot parts and put them
> together.  Pandora's box comes to mind.  The Manhattan Project comes to
> mind.

OK.
Thank you Lynn, for bringing up the topic of this book,
and stating you were pleased by it.

I had put it aside, while having irritations at it.
I had not totally rejected it.
It is still very handy, and I might pick it up again,
but I'm currently working on some others I enjoy.

> ***  S P O I L E R  ***
>
> And it is just a matter of time until the Galactic Emperor checks on
> Earth and decides to do something.  And he owns a LOT of giant robots.
> And an FTL star drive.
>
> Lynn

I kind of accidentally got shown all this.
It did not help my continuing reading of it, to find
out it is a multi volume series.

Re: "Sleeping Giants (The Themis Files)" by Sylvain Neuvel

<u01v0e$d345$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86928&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86928

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:11:24 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:11 UTC

On 3/29/2023 12:16 PM, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/27/23 12:04, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> ------------------

>>> I got pulled in, and was enjoying this book
>>> for a fairly long time for me / about 100 pages
>>> until an irritation kept growing....
>>>
>>> Do you recall that cartoon with the two guys
>>> adrift, lost at see in an inflatable life boat,
>>> and they find a floating treasure chest,
>>> pull along side it, open it, and find it
>>> is full of broken glass?
>>> One of them wants to pull the chest into the
>>> inflatable boat. NO - NO - NO!!!!!
>>>
>>> Why in the world are they trying to put this
>>> huge indestructible robot back together?
>>>
>>> Some things are really best just left alone!!
>>
>> Somebody somewhere is going to find all the robot parts and put them
>> together.  Pandora's box comes to mind.  The Manhattan Project comes
>> to mind.
>>

> OK.
> Thank you Lynn, for bringing up the topic of this book,
> and stating you were pleased by it.
>
> I had put it aside, while having irritations at it.
> I had not totally rejected it.
> It is still very handy, and I might pick it up again,
> but I'm currently working on some others I enjoy.
>

>> ***  S P O I L E R  ***
>>
>> And it is just a matter of time until the Galactic Emperor checks on
>> Earth and decides to do something.  And he owns a LOT of giant robots.
>> And an FTL star drive.
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> I kind of accidentally got shown all this.
> It did not help my continuing reading of it, to find
> out it is a multi volume series.

Just about all of the authors are doing series now. Even Robert
Forward. Readers generally like series and are willing to pay for them.

Lynn