24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

SubjectAuthor
* YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldMike Spencer
`* Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldJerry Brown
 +* All your base are belong to us.Robert Carnegie
 |`- Re: All your base are belong to us.Jack Bohn
 +- Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worlda425couple
 +- Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldMike Spencer
 `* Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldBCFD36
  `* Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldRobert Carnegie
   `* Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldJerry Brown
    `- Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the worldRobert Carnegie

1
YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<874jq1y0ao.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86966&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86966

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world
Date: 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:09 UTC

An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.

On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
a global meme that threatens to take over the world.

As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)

I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
remember the nonsense title.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<shvc2i50mmhd3rtu0ubnjieldpgt3lecrm@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86967&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86967

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 07:32:10 +0100
 by: Jerry Brown - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:32 UTC

On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
<mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

>An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
>large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
>of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
>sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
>
>On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
>a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
>dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
>a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
>
>As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
>of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
>down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
>it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
>
>I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
>suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
>neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
>remember the nonsense title.

Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

All your base are belong to us.

<776c22fd-76c9-4ea7-98af-2c96893ca8a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86969&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86969

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:45:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: All your base are belong to us.
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:45 UTC

On Friday, 31 March 2023 at 07:32:21 UTC+1, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>

> >An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
> >large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
> >of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
> >sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
> >
> >On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
> >a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
> >dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
> >a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
> >
> >As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
> >of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
> >down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
> >it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
> >
> >I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
> >suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
> >neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
> >remember the nonsense title.
> Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"

Good luck getting that past the censor! Which may be
a /good/ thing. :-)

See also, very very carefully,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story)>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us>

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<fODVL.1757892$iS99.1062141@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86972&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86972

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:23:39 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 16:23 UTC

On 3/30/23 23:32, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>

>> An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
>> large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
>> of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
>> sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
>>
>> On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
>> a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
>> dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
>> a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
>>
>> As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
>> of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
>> down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
>> it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
>>
>> I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
>> suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
>> neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
>> remember the nonsense title.
>
> Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"

Very well done!
Good work!

bout 1,110 results (0.60 seconds)

Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee, or why Fritz Leiber's short stories ...
WordPress.com
https://josephinereadersadvisory.wordpress.com › rum...
Nov 13, 2011 — My favorite is, not surprisingly given the title of the
entry, “Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee”, a story in which several beatnik
artists (various ...

Title: Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee
The Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Title: Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee Title Record # 40977. Author: Fritz
Leiber Date: 1958-05-00. Type: SHORTFICTION Length: short story. Series:
Simon Grue

Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee | WWEnd
Worlds Without End
https://www.worldswithoutend.com › novel
Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee ... Author: Fritz Leiber ... The Best of
Fritz Leiber (1974) and The Leiber Chronicles: Fifty Years of Fritz
Leiber (1990).

Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee [short story] by Fritz Leiber
LibraryThing
http://www.librarything.com › work
All about Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee [short story] by Fritz Leiber.
LibraryThing is a cataloging and social networking site for booklovers.

Tag: Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee - Lankhmar
lankhmar.co.uk
The Fritz Leiber Home Page. Search for: About · Fritz Leiber · Lankhmar
and the world of Nehwon · This site · Blog ... Tag:
Rump-Titty-Titty-Tum-TAH-Tee ...

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<87zg7swv2a.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86976&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86976

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 31 Mar 2023 16:59:57 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 19:59 UTC

Jerry Brown <jerry@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>

>> An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
>> large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
>> of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
>> sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
>>
>> On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
>> a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
>> dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
>> a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
>>
>> As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
>> of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
>> down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
>> it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
>>
>> I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
>> suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
>> neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
>> remember the nonsense title.
>
> Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"

That's the one! TYVM. Can't find my Lieber books but found full text
on line.

All good. Thanks again.

[Full exchange left quoted here for the record.]

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: All your base are belong to us.

<9c3efb30-8e18-4997-ac8e-a21fa0cbdabfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86981&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86981

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 05:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: All your base are belong to us.
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 12:29 UTC

On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 5:45:41 AM UTC-4, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Friday, 31 March 2023 at 07:32:21 UTC+1, Jerry Brown wrote:
> > On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> > <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
> >

> > >An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
> > >large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
> > >of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
> > >sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
> > >
> > >On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
> > >a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
> > >dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
> > >a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
> > >
> > >I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
> > >suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
> > >neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
> > >remember the nonsense title.

> > Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"
> Good luck getting that past the censor! Which may be
> a /good/ thing. :-)
>
> See also, very very carefully,
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story)>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us>

"The Funniest Joke in the World" + "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee" = "Nothing but Gingerbread Left"

https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1290219

Someone with the books has made an entry about Homer Price:
The second, book by Robert McCloskey, _Centerburg Tales_, has the more science-fictional, or at least fanciful stories, including "Pie and Punch and You-Know-Whats" about a new record on the jukebox that is too catchy. Homer remembers reading a story about another too catchy song, and using the information retrieval technology of 1951 (I remember the illustration of singing townsfolk at the local library tossing books to him as he sits on an already large pile, paging through) finally finds Mark Twain's "A Literary Nightmare"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Price
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Literary_Nightmare

Rings of singing "Punch, brothers, punch" fan out into those singing "Pie and punch" and wash back and forth until the whole thing sort of dies out.

Oddly, author's attempts to portray a song hard to get out of your head seem to be tough to recall later. See the story above, or this very thread.

--
-Jack

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<u0cjb4$2jusr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87001&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87001

From: bcf...@cruzio.com (BCFD36)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 11:59:46 -0700
 by: BCFD36 - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:59 UTC

On 3/30/23 23:32, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>

>> An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
>> large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
>> of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
>> sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
>>
>> On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
>> a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
>> dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
>> a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
>>
>> As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
>> of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
>> down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
>> it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
>>
>> I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
>> suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
>> neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
>> remember the nonsense title.
>
> Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"

I found it on line. I read it. I only have a vague memory of this story,
but it brings to mind "Nothing but gingerbread left and a Monty Python
sketch. I think someone mentioned the gingerbread one, but not the Python.
--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<c33cb647-6a9c-4726-8c60-705c2ef2f826n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87002&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87002

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:44 UTC

On Sunday, 2 April 2023 at 19:59:52 UTC+1, BCFD36 wrote:
> On 3/30/23 23:32, Jerry Brown wrote:
> > On 31 Mar 2023 02:09:19 -0300, Mike Spencer
> > <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
> >

> >> An artist is developing a style of painting in which he rolls out a
> >> large canvas on the studio floor, stands on a scaffold with a bucket
> >> of paint and a large brush. Dipping the brush in the bucket, with a
> >> sweep of his arm he flings a dollop of paint out over the canvass.
> >>
> >> On one occasion, with onlookers, he does this and the paint lands with
> >> a peculiarly intriguing sound something like "GLOP flup splotter spop
> >> dit". That sound and the reproductions of the resulting image become
> >> a global meme that threatens to take over the world.
> >>
> >> As I recall, the nonsense string representing the sound was the title
> >> of the story but I can't remember it and although I thought I wrote it
> >> down somewhere, I can't find it. (The "something like", above, isn't
> >> it, just made up as suggestive for this post.)
> >>
> >> I'd like to cite, possibly even quote, this story in another venue to
> >> suggest the kind of deep pattern discovery that that contemporary
> >> neural net AI may be able to do but I can't locate the story or
> >> remember the nonsense title.
> >
> > Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"
> >
> I found it on line. I read it. I only have a vague memory of this story,
> but it brings to mind "Nothing but gingerbread left and a Monty Python
> sketch. I think someone mentioned the gingerbread one, but not the Python.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_Gingerbread_Left>
Written during the Second World War.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World>
Performed in 1969, still fighting the Second World War.

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<s6sk2itgp3gcpd3pk9eqlu9igl932kii2n@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87009&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87009

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 07:23:55 +0100
 by: Jerry Brown - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 06:23 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, 2 April 2023 at 19:59:52 UTC+1, BCFD36 wrote:
>> On 3/30/23 23:32, Jerry Brown wrote:

>> > Fritz Leiber: "Rump-titty-titty-tum-tah-tee"
>> >
>> I found it on line. I read it. I only have a vague memory of this story,
>> but it brings to mind "Nothing but gingerbread left and a Monty Python
>> sketch. I think someone mentioned the gingerbread one, but not the Python.
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_Gingerbread_Left>
>Written during the Second World War.
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World>
>Performed in 1969, still fighting the Second World War.

Then there's this:
<https://hackneybooks.co.uk/books/3/25/TheSnowballEffect.html>

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: YASID: Painting and its sound take over the world

<61643ec2-323d-44be-9f83-0d48b22c7b96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87012&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87012

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 02:33:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:33 UTC

On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 07:24:10 UTC+1, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
> <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

> >> I found it on line. I read it. I only have a vague memory of this story,
> >> but it brings to mind "Nothing but gingerbread left and a Monty Python
> >> sketch. I think someone mentioned the gingerbread one, but not the Python.
> >
> ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_Gingerbread_Left>
> >Written during the Second World War.
> >
> ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funniest_Joke_in_the_World>
> >Performed in 1969, still fighting the Second World War.
> Then there's this:
> <https://hackneybooks.co.uk/books/3/25/TheSnowballEffect.html>

For that matter, Terry Pratchett's:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Gods>
"small gods exist as points of desire searching for believers."
When one makes contact - boom! And that's what religion is?
Gods don't like to talk about this...