From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Hmm, Patterson takes on the Times
Date: 1 Apr 2023 18:13:44 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 18:13 UTC

https://twitter.com/JP_Books/status/1641161267476873223?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The real problem is where you say "Sales are statistically
weighted to represent and accurately reflect all outlets
proportionally nationwide." Because here you suggest your
process has statistical rigor. And it simply doesn't. As
the nation's bookstores and our publishing houses have known
for years and can prove -- your lists too often are outside
the realm of the statistically possible, much less plausible.
The fact is that you regularly publish -- even now that we
have computers and widely available data -- lists that say
a book sold better, or worse, than another even when it's
probably wrong.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Hmm, Patterson takes on the Times

<u09u1k$7if$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86989&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86989

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Hmm, Patterson takes on the Times
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 18:44:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 18:44 UTC

In <k8raioF5s8U1@mid.individual.net> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

>https://twitter.com/JP_Books/status/1641161267476873223?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

> The real problem is where you say "Sales are statistically
> weighted to represent and accurately reflect all outlets
> proportionally nationwide." Because here you suggest your
> process has statistical rigor. And it simply doesn't. As
> the nation's bookstores and our publishing houses have known
> for years and can prove -- your lists too often are outside
> the realm of the statistically possible, much less plausible.
> The fact is that you regularly publish -- even now that we
> have computers and widely available data -- lists that say
> a book sold better, or worse, than another even when it's
> probably wrong.

So you're saying he's saying the "NY Time Bestseller List"
is as [in]valid as the US News rankings?

I'm shocked, I tell you.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Hmm, Patterson takes on the Times

<k8t400F92ddU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=86992&group=rec.arts.sf.written#86992

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 2 Apr 2023 10:33:36 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 10:33 UTC

On 1 Apr 2023 at 19:44:05 BST, "danny burstein" <dannyb@panix.com>
wrote:

> In <k8raioF5s8U1@mid.individual.net> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>
>> https://twitter.com/JP_Books/status/1641161267476873223?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>
>> The real problem is where you say "Sales are statistically
>> weighted to represent and accurately reflect all outlets
>> proportionally nationwide." Because here you suggest your
>> process has statistical rigor. And it simply doesn't. As
>> the nation's bookstores and our publishing houses have known
>> for years and can prove -- your lists too often are outside
>> the realm of the statistically possible, much less plausible.
>> The fact is that you regularly publish -- even now that we
>> have computers and widely available data -- lists that say
>> a book sold better, or worse, than another even when it's
>> probably wrong.
>
> So you're saying he's saying the "NY Time Bestseller List"
> is as [in]valid as the US News rankings?
>
> I'm shocked, I tell you.

Given the incredibly large count of books that announce themselves as
NYT Bestseller!!!! I've always assumed they mean "in a specific three
minutes of business in one shop around the corner from whichever journo
is on book duty this week"

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Sun 4/60

Re: Hmm, Patterson takes on the Times

<dba8791d-3f2c-460f-809a-7b25037d5c8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87006&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87006

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 02:32 UTC

On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 2:44:09 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
> In <k8raio...@mid.individual.net> t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>
> >https://twitter.com/JP_Books/status/1641161267476873223?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>
> > The real problem is where you say "Sales are statistically
> > weighted to represent and accurately reflect all outlets
> > proportionally nationwide." Because here you suggest your
> > process has statistical rigor. And it simply doesn't. As
> > the nation's bookstores and our publishing houses have known
> > for years and can prove -- your lists too often are outside
> > the realm of the statistically possible, much less plausible.
> > The fact is that you regularly publish -- even now that we
> > have computers and widely available data -- lists that say
> > a book sold better, or worse, than another even when it's
> > probably wrong.
> So you're saying he's saying the "NY Time Bestseller List"
> is as [in]valid as the US News rankings?
>
> I'm shocked, I tell you. ]

I point to "I, Libertine" by Frederick R Ewing.
ObSF: Theodore Sturgeon has a role.
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Libertine

Pt