That's odd. That's very odd. Wouldn't you say that's very odd?

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

SubjectAuthor
* OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."a425couple
+* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Charles Packer
|+* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."The Horny Goat
||`* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
|| +* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Dorothy J Heydt
|| |+* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."pete...@gmail.com
|| |`* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Robert Woodward
|| | `- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|| `* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."The Horny Goat
||  +* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."pete...@gmail.com
||  |`- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
||  `* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Lynn McGuire
||   `* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."The Horny Goat
||    +* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
||    |`* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Scott Lurndal
||    | +* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Lynn McGuire
||    | |`- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
||    | `- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
||    `* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Lynn McGuire
||     `- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."Paul S Person
|`* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."a425couple
| `* Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."The Horny Goat
|  `- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."pete...@gmail.com
`- Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."William Hyde

1
OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<BkiXL.1126496$t5W7.10273@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87084&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87084

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:36:33 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 17:36 UTC

/ Frank Herbert /
..
"I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Some people never observe
anything, Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a
kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment
anything that might lift them out of that false serenity."
..
"Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological
consultant, and lecturer. The Dune saga, set in the distant future, and
taking place over millennia, explores complex themes, such as the
long-term survival of the human species, human evolution, planetary
science and ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics,
economics and power in a future where humanity has long since developed
interstellar travel and settled many thousands of worlds. Dune is the
best-selling science fiction novel of all time, and the entire series is
considered to be among the classics of the genre."
W Born: Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr, October 08, 1920, Tacoma, Washington,
U.S.
Died: February 11, 1986, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.
Occupation: Novelist
Alma mater: University of Washington (no degree)
Period: 1945–1986
Genre: Science fiction
Literary movement: New Wave
Children: 3, including Brian

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<OQuXL.1397872$Tcw8.860164@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87100&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87100

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 07:50 UTC

On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 10:36:33 -0700, a425couple wrote:

> / Frank Herbert /
> .
> "I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Some people never observe
> anything, Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a
> kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment
> anything that might lift them out of that false serenity."
> .
> "Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
> best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
> became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
> a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological

Another SF writer who was a journalist, hmm. How many SF authors
have been journalists at one time or another? Indeed, what's the
/percentage/ of SF authors who came from journalism?

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<11d21a19-7a5f-4e4e-a569-29347cfa4edfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87143&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87143

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 13:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:35 UTC

On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 1:36:38 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> / Frank Herbert /
> .
> "I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Some people never observe
> anything, Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a
> kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment
> anything that might lift them out of that false serenity."
> .
> "Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
> best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
> became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
> a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological
> consultant, and lecturer. The Dune saga, set in the distant future, and
> taking place over millennia, explores complex themes, such as the
> long-term survival of the human species, human evolution, planetary
> science and ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics,
> economics and power in a future where humanity has long since developed
> interstellar travel and settled many thousands of worlds. Dune is the
> best-selling science fiction novel of all time, and the entire series is
> considered to be among the classics of the genre."
> Born: Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr, October 08, 1920, Tacoma, Washington,
> U.S.
> Died: February 11, 1986, Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.
> Occupation: Novelist
> Alma mater: University of Washington (no degree)
> Period: 1945–1986
> Genre: Science fiction
> Literary movement: New Wave

Not in the least. I am fond of both the NW and Herbert, but the latter was about as new wave
as Poul Anderson.

William Hyde

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<i6t33i9guggkj2tce9ams3gtnd5qi17o40@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87167&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87167

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:13 UTC

On Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
wrote:

>> "Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
>> best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
>> became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
>> a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological
>
>Another SF writer who was a journalist, hmm. How many SF authors
>have been journalists at one time or another? Indeed, what's the
>/percentage/ of SF authors who came from journalism?

What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
I'm talking about...)

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<xUoYL.1916828$iS99.1902487@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87171&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87171

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:53:33 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 01:53 UTC

On 4/6/23 00:50, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 10:36:33 -0700, a425couple wrote:
>
>> / Frank Herbert /
>> .
>> "I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Some people never observe
>> anything, Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a
>> kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment
>> anything that might lift them out of that false serenity."
>> .
>> "Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
>> best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
>> became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
>> a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological
>

> Another SF writer who was a journalist, hmm. How many SF authors
> have been journalists at one time or another? Indeed, what's the
> /percentage/ of SF authors who came from journalism?

A quick look, revealed only --

Which fiction writers started as journalists?
Is a move to book writing like leaping from the frying pan to the fire?
The list of journalists-turned-author is legion, including Charles
Dickens, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Joan Didion, Carl Hiaasen, Susan
Sontag, and Michael Connelly.Dec 6, 2011

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<omo53i14rk9kg48u7rq9eamig9nrs73e87@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87186&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87186

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 09:08:51 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 16:08 UTC

On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
>wrote:
>
>>> "Franklin Patrick Herbert Jr. was an American science fiction author
>>> best known for the 1965 novel Dune and its five sequels. Though he
>>> became famous for his novels, he also wrote short stories and worked as
>>> a newspaper journalist, photographer, book reviewer, ecological
>>
>>Another SF writer who was a journalist, hmm. How many SF authors
>>have been journalists at one time or another? Indeed, what's the
>>/percentage/ of SF authors who came from journalism?
>
>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
>I'm talking about...)

Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<rsv7y2.xJ6@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87195&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:37:14 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:37 UTC

In article <omo53i14rk9kg48u7rq9eamig9nrs73e87@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:

>>>Another SF writer who was a journalist, hmm. How many SF authors
>>>have been journalists at one time or another? Indeed, what's the
>>>/percentage/ of SF authors who came from journalism?
>>
>>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
>>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
>>I'm talking about...)
>
>Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
>with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.

(Hal Heydt)
And he's probably best known for his collaborations with another
author whose day job was "living on inherited wealth".

Side note... Not a jurnalist, but there was an SF writer whose
day job was Linotype operator. When he retired from that, he
bought his own Linotype machine, composed his works on it, would
then print a proof copy from leads and send that off to be
professionally retyped on a typewriter because editors were
rather suspicious of recieving manuscripts that had been
professionally printed.

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<b06a1a1e-4696-4154-b6fb-4fe68c70d122n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87201&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87201

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 03:06 UTC

On Sunday, April 9, 2023 at 4:42:32 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <omo53i14rk9kg48u7...@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
> >On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
> >wrote:

> >>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
> >>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
> >>I'm talking about...)
> >
> >Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
> >with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
> (Hal Heydt)
> And he's probably best known for his collaborations with another
> author whose day job was "living on inherited wealth".
>
> Side note... Not a jurnalist, but there was an SF writer whose
> day job was Linotype operator. When he retired from that, he
> bought his own Linotype machine, composed his works on it, would
> then print a proof copy from leads and send that off to be
> professionally retyped on a typewriter because editors were
> rather suspicious of recieving manuscripts that had been
> professionally printed.

I can't imagine composing on a Linotype. Aside from the noise and
heat, the uneditablity would be a real problem .

Back in 1984, I'd recently started on my first software job on Wall Street.
Walking down Broadway one day, I found a pile of shattered
machinery on the sidewalk. Apparently, the adjacent investors
newsletter office had just converted to then-new desktop publishing,
and decided the best way to remove their Linotype was to break it
up with a sledgehammer.

I could have cried.

Pt

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<rsvqsF.rEv@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87203&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87203

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 03:24:15 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 03:24 UTC

In article <b06a1a1e-4696-4154-b6fb-4fe68c70d122n@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, April 9, 2023 at 4:42:32 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> Side note... Not a jurnalist, but there was an SF writer whose
>> day job was Linotype operator. When he retired from that, he
>> bought his own Linotype machine, composed his works on it, would
>> then print a proof copy from leads and send that off to be
>> professionally retyped on a typewriter because editors were
>> rather suspicious of recieving manuscripts that had been
>> professionally printed.
>
>I can't imagine composing on a Linotype. Aside from the noise and
>heat, the uneditablity would be a real problem .

(Hal Heydt)
It was the keyboard layout he was familiar with.

One of my uncles went through the transistion from Linotype to
doing input for a phototypesetter. He had the learn to type all
over again.

>Back in 1984, I'd recently started on my first software job on Wall Street.
>Walking down Broadway one day, I found a pile of shattered
>machinery on the sidewalk. Apparently, the adjacent investors
>newsletter office had just converted to then-new desktop publishing,
>and decided the best way to remove their Linotype was to break it
>up with a sledgehammer.
>
>I could have cried.

You have my sympathies. I, too, would have been rather upset.

As some people here may be aware, Dorothy was involved in UC
Berkeley's transistion from the CAT-4 phototypesetter to the
APS-u5 that replaced it. This also required changing from troff
(which was written exceedingly cleverly to work closely with the
CAT-4) to ditroff. The author of troff was dead by then and no
one could see a way to disentangle the CAT-4 specific code from
the rest of the functionality, so they rewrote the whole thing,
separating out the device dependent code.

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<robertaw-995D1A.21474209042023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87204&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87204

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 21:47:42 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 04:47 UTC

In article <rsv7y2.xJ6@kithrup.com>,
djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:

> In article <omo53i14rk9kg48u7rq9eamig9nrs73e87@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
> >On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
> >wrote:

> >>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
> >>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
> >>I'm talking about...)
> >
> >Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
> >with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
>
> (Hal Heydt)
> And he's probably best known for his collaborations with another
> author whose day job was "living on inherited wealth".
>
> Side note... Not a jurnalist, but there was an SF writer whose
> day job was Linotype operator. When he retired from that, he
> bought his own Linotype machine, composed his works on it, would
> then print a proof copy from leads and send that off to be
> professionally retyped on a typewriter because editors were
> rather suspicious of recieving manuscripts that had been
> professionally printed.

Was that Fredric Brown? (I have a vague recollection of reading a John
Campbell comment that Brown had operated Linotypes).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<k9hk70FfgitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87205&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87205

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 10 Apr 2023 05:13:04 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 05:13 UTC

In article <robertaw-995D1A.21474209042023@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <rsv7y2.xJ6@kithrup.com>,
> djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
>
>> In article <omo53i14rk9kg48u7rq9eamig9nrs73e87@4ax.com>,
>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>> >Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
>> >with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> And he's probably best known for his collaborations with another
>> author whose day job was "living on inherited wealth".
>>
>> Side note... Not a jurnalist, but there was an SF writer whose
>> day job was Linotype operator. When he retired from that, he
>> bought his own Linotype machine, composed his works on it, would
>> then print a proof copy from leads and send that off to be
>> professionally retyped on a typewriter because editors were
>> rather suspicious of recieving manuscripts that had been
>> professionally printed.
>
>Was that Fredric Brown? (I have a vague recollection of reading a John
>Campbell comment that Brown had operated Linotypes).

They feature in his stories. "Etaoin Shrdlu" in particular as I recall,
and possibly the "The Angelic Angleworm", though that may have
been some other type of newspaper device on the fritz.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<v7jf3ihe1nifmc2dsfrlfv3l32n2ed0rj8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87314&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87314

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:36:27 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:36 UTC

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:53:33 -0700, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Which fiction writers started as journalists?
>Is a move to book writing like leaping from the frying pan to the fire?
>The list of journalists-turned-author is legion, including Charles
>Dickens, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Joan Didion, Carl Hiaasen, Susan
>Sontag, and Michael Connelly.Dec 6, 2011

Mustn't forget Eric Blair aka George Orwell.

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<6ajf3ilq2dn1j9pptohfnf3kcfn30j63kf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87315&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87315

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:39:22 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:39 UTC

On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 09:08:51 -0700, Paul S Person
<psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
>>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
>>I'm talking about...)
>
>Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
>with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.

The world changed and passed them by and my children have never heard
of them alas.

I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<e5c3032b-6f95-40c8-bc31-587fde2f15b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87318&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87318

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 05:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:58 UTC

On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 5:36:32 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:53:33 -0700, a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Which fiction writers started as journalists?
> >Is a move to book writing like leaping from the frying pan to the fire?
> >The list of journalists-turned-author is legion, including Charles
> >Dickens, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Joan Didion, Carl Hiaasen, Susan
> >Sontag, and Michael Connelly.Dec 6, 2011
> Mustn't forget Eric Blair aka George Orwell.

Terry Pratchett.

pt

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<b4c795ca-e125-4bf3-8dbd-96d9ba96ffd2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87319&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87319

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 06:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:04 UTC

On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 5:39:27 AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 09:08:51 -0700, Paul S Person
> <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>On Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT, Charles Packer <mai...@cpacker.org>
> >>wrote:
> >>
> >>What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
> >>magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
> >>I'm talking about...)
> >
> >Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
> >with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
> The world changed and passed them by and my children have never heard
> of them alas.
>
> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....

Pournelles first published SF was 'Peace with Honor', in Analog(Astounding?) in 1971.
His BYTE column started in 1981.

pt

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<hdbg3i50u9g92p1l26c5ogvdtsdnivmn25@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87337&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87337

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:28:52 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 16:28 UTC

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 06:04:06 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 5:39:27?AM UTC-4, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 09:08:51 -0700, Paul S Person
>> <pspe...@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>> >Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
>> >with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
>> The world changed and passed them by and my children have never heard
>> of them alas.
>>
>> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
>> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....
>
>Pournelles first published SF was 'Peace with Honor', in Analog(Astounding?) in 1971.
>His BYTE column started in 1981.

Well, it took a while for the hobby to develop.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<u1c4j3$1ksbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87373&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87373

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:04:17 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 18:04 UTC

On 4/13/2023 4:39 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2023 09:08:51 -0700, Paul S Person
> <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:13:29 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 06 Apr 2023 07:50:06 GMT, Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What's the definition of 'journalist'? Would a regular column in Byte
>>> magazine qualify? (Oldtimers will remember which well known SF writer
>>> I'm talking about...)
>>
>> Well, he was certainly a "columnist". And BYTE certainly provided /me/
>> with a lot of news about small computers, back in the day.
>
> The world changed and passed them by and my children have never heard
> of them alas.
>
> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....

Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four
windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and
the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and
ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.

Lynn

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<bkev3idjj92og89441cvan4fubtp34kohi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87502&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87502

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:56:55 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:56 UTC

On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:04:17 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
>> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....
>
>Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four
>windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and
>the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and
>ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.

The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
something.

As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
detected on your system.

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<8m204i58dd25eeamf2v5rnkq605750cml8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87511&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87511

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:39:37 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:39 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:56:55 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:04:17 -0500, Lynn McGuire
><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
>>> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....
>>
>>Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four
>>windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and
>>the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and
>>ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.
>
>The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
>something.
>
>As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
>floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
>umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
>detected on your system.

A long tradition.

Some of those drivers -- or, rather, their 32-bit or 64-bit versions
-- are probably part of Win10 to this day. And more can be downloaded
at the touch of a button.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<2mV%L.1289773$t5W7.782498@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87513&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87513

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:16:46 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:16 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
>On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:56:55 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:

>>>Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four=20
>>>windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and=
>=20
>>>the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and=20
>>>ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.
>>
>>The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
>>something.
>>
>>As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
>>floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
>>umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
>>detected on your system.

Each 5 1/4" floppy had capacity per side of 160kb at the most portable
density (double that when both sides were used). There weren't
'umpteen' devices back in the 3.11 days.

The installation package from Microsoft
included 6 3.5" HD floppies (1440kb).

You can find the diskette images here:

https://archive.org/details/002961-MicrosoftWindows311

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<u1pedj$5fil$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87525&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87525

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:11:45 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:11 UTC

On 4/19/2023 4:56 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:04:17 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I recently got rid of nearly all my floppies including that pirated
>>> copy of Windows 1 which I never installed (truth!)....
>>
>> Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four
>> windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and
>> the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and
>> ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.
>
> The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
> something.
>
> As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
> floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
> umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
> detected on your system.

I am not even sure that a floppy with Windows 1.0 came with the Compaq
luggable. Even though the luggable only had a 11 or 12 inch green
screen and weighed 30+ lbs, we loved it and bought it with our office
supplies money. I was working for TXU (Dallas electric utility) at the
time and IT ignored all of the PCs being bought all over the place.

Windows 3.11 was a sophisticated piece of software compared to version
1.0. The two were radically different. Just like the difference
between Windows 3.11 and Windows 95.

Lynn

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<u1pehp$5fil$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87526&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87526

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:00 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:14 UTC

On 4/19/2023 12:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:56:55 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>> wrote:

>> =20
>>>
>>> The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
>>> something.
>>>
>>> As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
>>> floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
>>> umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
>>> detected on your system.
>
> Each 5 1/4" floppy had capacity per side of 160kb at the most portable
> density (double that when both sides were used). There weren't
> 'umpteen' devices back in the 3.11 days.
>
> The installation package from Microsoft
> included 6 3.5" HD floppies (1440kb).
>
> You can find the diskette images here:
>
> https://archive.org/details/002961-MicrosoftWindows311

I've got a couple of copies of Windows 3.11 over in my file cabinet.
And Windows 2.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, various versions of the
Microsoft C compiler, Compaq Fortran, etc, etc, etc.

Lynn

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<jgn24ipsc5a4o7b18dg0cgb160aiu5hsf1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87552&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87552

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:46:40 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:46 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:16:46 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
>>On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:56:55 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
>>>something.
>>>
>>>As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
>>>floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
>>>umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
>>>detected on your system.
>
>Each 5 1/4" floppy had capacity per side of 160kb at the most portable
>density (double that when both sides were used). There weren't
>'umpteen' devices back in the 3.11 days.
>
>The installation package from Microsoft
>included 6 3.5" HD floppies (1440kb).
>
>You can find the diskette images here:
>
>https://archive.org/details/002961-MicrosoftWindows311

I can find them on my own hard drive; I created them when I finally
popped for a 3.5" floppy drive and then installed Win 3.11 from the
images under DOSBox.

And it works!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<cjn24ihk5q7a4ncn80i373ukl4oh8i5j1k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87553&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87553

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:49:30 -0700
References: <BkiXL.1126496$t5W7.10273@fx13.iad> <OQuXL.1397872$Tcw8.860164@fx10.iad> <i6t33i9guggkj2tce9ams3gtnd5qi17o40@4ax.com> <omo53i14rk9kg48u7rq9eamig9nrs73e87@4ax.com> <6ajf3ilq2dn1j9pptohfnf3kcfn30j63kf@4ax.com> <u1c4j3$1ksbh$1@dont-email.me> <bkev3idjj92og89441cvan4fubtp34kohi@4ax.com> <8m204i58dd25eeamf2v5rnkq605750cml8@4ax.com> <2mV%L.1289773$t5W7.782498@fx13.iad> <u1pehp$5fil$4@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:49 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:00 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/19/2023 12:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:

>> Each 5 1/4" floppy had capacity per side of 160kb at the most portable
>> density (double that when both sides were used). There weren't
>> 'umpteen' devices back in the 3.11 days.
>>
>> The installation package from Microsoft
>> included 6 3.5" HD floppies (1440kb).
>>
>> You can find the diskette images here:
>>
>> https://archive.org/details/002961-MicrosoftWindows311
>
>I've got a couple of copies of Windows 3.11 over in my file cabinet.
>And Windows 2.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, various versions of the
>Microsoft C compiler, Compaq Fortran, etc, etc, etc.

I thinned a lot of that stuff out a few years back.

Of course, by "thinned it out" I mean that I gathered all the bits and
pieces together, put them in a manila envelope which I first labled
with what was going in (doing it first minimizes the chance of the
ball-point pen punching holes in the envelope), and stuffed them into
a 1.5 cu ft box ("book box"). Which is sitting on the floor of another
room while I type this.

But at least they are out of the closet (well, linen storage area in
my case)!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian
influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
of family right."

Re: OT - Frank Herbert quote "Life just happens to them."

<hpn24ip7i48fhp8mngam949ekplltvu9nn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87554&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87554

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:52:03 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:52 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:11:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/19/2023 4:56 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:

>>> Windows 1 was a disaster on a Compaq luggable 8086 ? in 1985. Four
>>> windows in a tiled view (overlapping windows was not available yet) and
>>> the response time was about a minute. We stripped the Windows off and
>>> ran plain old DOS to run our engineering calcs on.
>>
>> The fact that it was on a single 5.25" floppy should tell you
>> something.
>>
>> As opposed to my legit copy of Windows 3.11 which came on 9 5.25"
>> floppies. I >believe< thereason for so many floppies was drivers for
>> umpteen devices and Windows only installed the drivers for devices it
>> detected on your system.
>
>I am not even sure that a floppy with Windows 1.0 came with the Compaq
>luggable. Even though the luggable only had a 11 or 12 inch green
>screen and weighed 30+ lbs, we loved it and bought it with our office
>supplies money. I was working for TXU (Dallas electric utility) at the
>time and IT ignored all of the PCs being bought all over the place.

IBM's salesmen didn't. That's [1] what inspired IBM to go into the PC
business.

[1] Seeing /their customers/ using /non-IBM/ computers. The nerve!

>Windows 3.11 was a sophisticated piece of software compared to version
>1.0. The two were radically different. Just like the difference
>between Windows 3.11 and Windows 95.

Sadly, I never experience Windows 1. I am happier about avoiding
Windows 95, which I associate with the phrase "DLL hell".