Promptness is its own reward, if one lives by the clock instead of the sword.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

SubjectAuthor
* "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flightLynn McGuire
+* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butpete...@gmail.com
|+- Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butJames Nicoll
|`- Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butMike Van Pelt
+- Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flightTorbjorn Lindgren
`* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butCharles Packer
 `* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butpete...@gmail.com
  `* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butJohn Halpenny
   `* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butLynn McGuire
    `* Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, butpete...@gmail.com
     `- Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in Paul S Person

1
"SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<u1s5dv$nn43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87559&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87559

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight
ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:56:45 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:56 UTC

"SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
in explosion | full video"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4

Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
Disassembly !

Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
subsequent failure to separate.

And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
had some fuel tank cavitation issues.

Lynn

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<82789209-b039-4e19-a42a-daa4bb8e55aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87563&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87563

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but
flight ends in explosion | full video"
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 21:23 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 3:56:52 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
> in explosion | full video"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4
>
> Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
> Disassembly !
>
> Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
> subsequent failure to separate.
>
> And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
> had some fuel tank cavitation issues.

On the SpaceX reddit, people are thinking the blast broke up the concrete
under the rocket - post launch photos show a crater under the
platform, and a camera truck got seriously smashed hundreds of yards away by
a chunk of concrete.

These debris caused enough damage that some of the engines exploded.
Fuel continued to pour into the damaged engines, uncontrollably.

There was enough thrust and vectoring to get off the pad, but only slowly,
perhaps leading to more debris damage.

When it came time for stage separation, that failed. Perhaps the damaged
engines still produced some thrust which could not be turned off, and that
prevented stage separation.

What no one expected was that the stack would remain intact while tumbling
a couple times before the Flight Termination System was activated. You'd
expect aerodynamic forces to rip it apart earlier. That ship and booster are
tougher than expected.

A failure at this early stage was almost expected. I'm just happy that it
didn't ruin the 'Stage 0' ground equipment.

pt

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<u1scs0$plq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87565&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87565

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
flight ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:03:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:03 UTC

In article <82789209-b039-4e19-a42a-daa4bb8e55aan@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

snip

>On the SpaceX reddit, people are thinking the blast broke up the concrete
>under the rocket - post launch photos show a crater under the
>platform, and a camera truck got seriously smashed hundreds of
>yards away by
>a chunk of concrete.

Shades of the incident during the early US space program where
the press were located too close to the launch and parts of the
ceiling came down on them.

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<u1sf91$p6cm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87569&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87569

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
flight ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:44:49 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: mike@Mike-Laptop.localdomain (Mike-Laptop)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:44 UTC

In article <82789209-b039-4e19-a42a-daa4bb8e55aan@googlegroups.com>,
pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>What no one expected was that the stack would remain intact while tumbling
>a couple times before the Flight Termination System was activated. You'd
>expect aerodynamic forces to rip it apart earlier. That ship and booster are
>tougher than expected.

I recall a story about one of the early Atlas (I think) tests,
where due to some failure, it was flying sideways. One of the
engineers said "It shouldn't be able to hang together while
flying sideways! That means we can shave off more weight!"

Though, with SpaceX going for reusability, more structural
robustness is probably in order than for something that's
strictly one-use.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<u1usd5$2t1qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87596&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87596

From: tl...@none.invalid (Torbjorn Lindgren)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:41:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Torbjorn Lindgren - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 20:41 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>"SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
>in explosion | full video"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4
>
>Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
>Disassembly !

The usual term is RUD for Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, though a few
has new jokingly suggested that it now also means Rapid Unplanned
Digging - there's now a massive crater in the launch mount!

>Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
>subsequent failure to separate.

There's a distinct possibility that the separation system had
hydraulic issues probably due to various lines being punctured by
concrete fragments (see below).

It DID make it through Max-Q first which is a monumental achievement -
far from all first launches do and they're going with a "test real
hardware" approach.

SpaceX already they have two more SH+SS stacks mostly ready, the limit
is going to be repair work AND some kind of deluge system. Both were
known already, most of the parts for a deluge system has already been
seen but not installed.

But it'll take a few months at least, but then it probably would take
that just from crunching all the data.

>And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
>had some fuel tank cavitation issues.

The first engine "map" shows up at 00:16 with 3 engines out, we don't
know how many lit up, the previous test ground control shut down one
and IIRC "engine management" shut down one or two more. I suspect they
would have delayed the launch rather than launch with ground-disabled
engines but some or all of the three might have be shut down by their
engine management. So probably not cavitation during start.

Later more engines stopped, at one point they were down 6 but if I
understood them correctly they apparently successfully restarted one
of them - very neat if true! Should give them even more good data, not
sure anyone has actually relit engines that way before!

We see one engine doing the "green exhaust" aka "engine rich exhaust",
which indicates that it was running too hot and melting the engine
nozzle (IIRC the green is from the copper). I think that was one of
the 6 mentioned above.

If we look at the early footage footage we can see massive concrete
slabs going past the side of the rocket much faster than the rocket is
going at that time. Yes, some goes nearly straight up at fairly high
speeds.

So a number of people are wondering if there might have been some
engine and hydraulic pipe damage from concrete debris strikes, it's
definitely a possibility.

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<zNL0M.2266725$iS99.759976@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87615&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87615

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
flight ends in explosion | full video"
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:12:31 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 07:12 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:56:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
> in explosion | full video"
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4
>
> Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
> Disassembly !
>
> Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
> subsequent failure to separate.
>
> And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
> had some fuel tank cavitation issues.
>
> Lynn

Or maybe numerology issues?

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<d0da3a93-cab7-4394-acab-d55b06fd83een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87617&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87617

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:14:01 -0700 (PDT)
flight ends in explosion | full video"
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 18:14 UTC

On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 3:12:36 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:56:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
> > "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
> > in explosion | full video"
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4
> >
> > Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
> > Disassembly !
> >
> > Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
> > subsequent failure to separate.
> >
> > And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
> > had some fuel tank cavitation issues.
> >
> > Lynn
> Or maybe numerology issues?

The only numerology I've heard invoked is that Elon may have delayed
the second try until 4/20. He's fond of puerile jokes.

Pt

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<a4cc0ab3-07a5-498f-b5d3-03b1b38368een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87656&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87656

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:52:22 -0700 (PDT)
flight ends in explosion | full video"
From: j.halpe...@rogers.com (John Halpenny)
 by: John Halpenny - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:52 UTC

On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 2:14:04 PM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 3:12:36 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:56:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >
> > > "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends
> > > in explosion | full video"
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKyM1Raeu4
> > >
> > > Wow, that was beautiful even if it did end in a Unplanned Rapid
> > > Disassembly !
> > >
> > > Looks like they had a shutdown failure in the Booster rocket with
> > > subsequent failure to separate.
> > >
> > > And only 28 of the 33 rockets in the Booster lit up. I'll bet that they
> > > had some fuel tank cavitation issues.
> > >
> > > Lynn
> > Or maybe numerology issues?
> The only numerology I've heard invoked is that Elon may have delayed
> the second try until 4/20. He's fond of puerile jokes.

Didn't Elon claim that the flight would be considered successful if it got off and didn't destroy the launch pad? II guess it was half a success.

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<u26ksb$f9ep$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87669&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87669

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
flight ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:21:49 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 19:21 UTC

On 4/24/2023 10:52 AM, John Halpenny wrote:
> On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 2:14:04 PM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Or maybe numerology issues?
>> The only numerology I've heard invoked is that Elon may have delayed
>> the second try until 4/20. He's fond of puerile jokes.
>>
> Didn't Elon claim that the flight would be considered successful if it got off and didn't destroy the launch pad? II guess it was half a success.

Apparently a steel launchpad is in the works but did not make it in time
for this launch. Hopefully it will have trenches and water cooling.

Lynn

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<75357f43-5cc2-4f53-a0a1-c21c120f171en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87675&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87675

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 19:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
flight ends in explosion | full video"
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 02:02 UTC

On Monday, April 24, 2023 at 3:21:52 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/24/2023 10:52 AM, John Halpenny wrote:

> >> The only numerology I've heard invoked is that Elon may have delayed
> >> the second try until 4/20. He's fond of puerile jokes.
> >>
> > Didn't Elon claim that the flight would be considered successful if it got off and didn't destroy the launch pad? II guess it was half a success.
> Apparently a steel launchpad is in the works but did not make it in time
> for this launch. Hopefully it will have trenches and water cooling.

A water cooled steel launchpad is under construction, but wasnt ready in time. A trench
is difficult, since the water table is very close to the surface: the crater left behind immediately
started to flood.

Pt

Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"

<684g4il1dlcmqf3p1f8c3jofgttpqclhbl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87691&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87691

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "SpaceX launches Starship, world's most powerful rocket, but flight ends in explosion | full video"
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 10:42:46 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 17:42 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 19:02:14 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 24, 2023 at 3:21:52?PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>> > Didn't Elon claim that the flight would be considered successful if it got off and didn't destroy the launch pad? II guess it was half a success.
>> Apparently a steel launchpad is in the works but did not make it in time
>> for this launch. Hopefully it will have trenches and water cooling.
>
>A water cooled steel launchpad is under construction, but wasnt ready in time. A trench
>is difficult, since the water table is very close to the surface: the crater left behind immediately
>started to flood.

So, what they had turned out to be water-cooled after all ...
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian