The horror... the horror!

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure

SubjectAuthor
* Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventureted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventurePaul S Person
|`- Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventureDimensional Traveler
`- Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventureDavid Brown

1
Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure

<kb3rtjFaflpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87827&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87827

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure
Date: 29 Apr 2023 06:31:15 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 06:31 UTC

I know they kind of shot themselves in the foot with some bad
publicity from the screenwriters at the get-go and the movie sank
without a trace, but it's actually pretty good. It's a light-hearted
comedy adventure in the Xena/Hercules mode with some genuine emotion
as well (but not enough to slow things down). Chris Pine basically
plays George Clooney's Ulysses character from "Brother Where Art
Thou", and makes it work while Michelle Rodriguez shines as a stoic
"tank" character, and Hugh Grant smarms it up as the oily (secondary,
though he doesn't know it) villain.

Along the way there is a dungeon, several dragons, an owl-bear,
gelatinous cube, portals & peril. While I would have preferred R. J. Stewart
on the script, this one works well enough and brings things to a
satisfying conclusion while leaving room for sequels (which now will
presumably not happen).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure

<65eq4i1b38gbfo12q7oqe6q1d2shhrvq7u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87833&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87833

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:40:02 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 15:40 UTC

On 29 Apr 2023 06:31:15 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>I know they kind of shot themselves in the foot with some bad
>publicity from the screenwriters at the get-go and the movie sank
>without a trace, but it's actually pretty good. It's a light-hearted
>comedy adventure in the Xena/Hercules mode with some genuine emotion
>as well (but not enough to slow things down). Chris Pine basically
>plays George Clooney's Ulysses character from "Brother Where Art
>Thou", and makes it work while Michelle Rodriguez shines as a stoic
>"tank" character, and Hugh Grant smarms it up as the oily (secondary,
>though he doesn't know it) villain.
>
>Along the way there is a dungeon, several dragons, an owl-bear,
>gelatinous cube, portals & peril. While I would have preferred R. J. Stewart
>on the script, this one works well enough and brings things to a
>satisfying conclusion while leaving room for sequels (which now will
>presumably not happen).

If this is the latest one (as it appears to be from its cast list vs
your comments above), IMDb has it at 7.6 and it's still in theaters.

If I wanted to see it in a theater, I would have at least 15 theaters
within 10 miles of here to choose from. And one of those I could walk
to. I'll be waiting for it to become streamable at a reasonable price.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure

<u2jj21$317vu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87835&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87835

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:10:27 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:10 UTC

On 4/29/2023 8:40 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2023 06:31:15 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>> I know they kind of shot themselves in the foot with some bad
>> publicity from the screenwriters at the get-go and the movie sank
>> without a trace, but it's actually pretty good. It's a light-hearted
>> comedy adventure in the Xena/Hercules mode with some genuine emotion
>> as well (but not enough to slow things down). Chris Pine basically
>> plays George Clooney's Ulysses character from "Brother Where Art
>> Thou", and makes it work while Michelle Rodriguez shines as a stoic
>> "tank" character, and Hugh Grant smarms it up as the oily (secondary,
>> though he doesn't know it) villain.
>>
>> Along the way there is a dungeon, several dragons, an owl-bear,
>> gelatinous cube, portals & peril. While I would have preferred R. J. Stewart
>> on the script, this one works well enough and brings things to a
>> satisfying conclusion while leaving room for sequels (which now will
>> presumably not happen).
>
> If this is the latest one (as it appears to be from its cast list vs
> your comments above), IMDb has it at 7.6 and it's still in theaters.
>
> If I wanted to see it in a theater, I would have at least 15 theaters
> within 10 miles of here to choose from. And one of those I could walk
> to. I'll be waiting for it to become streamable at a reasonable price.

I saw it in theatre and enjoyed it. It was a good comedy caper flick
set in the 'Forgotten Realms' setting. It was aimed at the mainstream
audience, not pushing game mechanics in the audience's faces. Its worth
seeing IMO.

dirty old man.

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Entertaining light-hearted adventure

<33292ef4-7f7c-4878-9d75-62fec6166639n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=87843&group=rec.arts.sf.written#87843

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 19:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: davidnbr...@gmail.com (David Brown)
 by: David Brown - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 02:22 UTC

On Friday, April 28, 2023 at 11:31:21 PM UTC-7, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I know they kind of shot themselves in the foot with some bad
> publicity from the screenwriters at the get-go and the movie sank
> without a trace, but it's actually pretty good. It's a light-hearted
> comedy adventure in the Xena/Hercules mode with some genuine emotion
> as well (but not enough to slow things down). Chris Pine basically
> plays George Clooney's Ulysses character from "Brother Where Art
> Thou", and makes it work while Michelle Rodriguez shines as a stoic
> "tank" character, and Hugh Grant smarms it up as the oily (secondary,
> though he doesn't know it) villain.
>
> Along the way there is a dungeon, several dragons, an owl-bear,
> gelatinous cube, portals & peril. While I would have preferred R. J. Stewart
> on the script, this one works well enough and brings things to a
> satisfying conclusion while leaving room for sequels (which now will
> presumably not happen).
> --
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

I haven't seen the movie, but Youtube reviews seem fair to good. I had previously thought on and off about the 2000 movie. I watched that within a few years after it came out. From all my recollections, it was just overwhelmingly dull, with some really bad CGI. The worst part was that I watched it because of the participation of Daman Wayans, whom I have never been a fan of but respect. In fact, he literally made me think of Steppin Fetchit. I came out wishing someone had been creative enough to let Mr. Wayans write the script. It might not have been good, but it would have been interesting.