I use technology in order to hate it more properly. -- Nam June Paik

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

SubjectAuthor
* (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenJames Nicoll
+* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenJohnny1A
|`* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenPaul S Person
| `- Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenJohnny1A
+* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenJohnny1A
|`* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Nivenbanjo
| `* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenDimensional Traveler
|  `* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenScott Lurndal
|   `* Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenDimensional Traveler
|    `- Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenScott Lurndal
`- Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry NivenLynn McGuire

1
(Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<u38atl$rul$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88053&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88053

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 14:00:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 7 May 2023 14:00 UTC

A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
his dreams are not her dreams.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cant-you-see

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<ba383a18-e6b3-4ce9-82b9-f9b89601336fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88073&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88073

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
From: johnny1a...@gmail.com (Johnny1A)
 by: Johnny1A - Mon, 8 May 2023 01:58 UTC

On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>
> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
> his dreams are not her dreams.

To be fair, I think Niven _intended_ Matt to come across mostly as he did. He's young, inexperienced, frustrated (let's be honest, being cursed with a psi talent that causes women who would otherwise find you interesting to _automatically_ lose interest _because you find them attractive_ would make most young inexperienced males think and act at least a little like Matt. I also suspect his actual behavior, once he learns to control his power, won't be as creepy as the ending seems to imply. Matt isn't so much evil or sadistic as he is frustrated, shallow and inexperienced. I suspect the Matt of five years later would be far more mature and balanced.)

The problems with Plateau as a world, yeah, there's no way around that. Unless there's some weirdness holding that mountain up in the sky, it should sink down. And there almost has to be life down in that soup somewhere to replenish the oxygen. But a lot of Niven's KS worlds have that sort of issue. Jinx, for ex, the egg-shaped world, I don't believe in it for a moment.. A planet could be pulled into an egg shape, of course, by the appropriate gravitational conditions, but it would sink back into a sphere as soon as they were removed.

Regarding the governments...how _could_ the UN government influence their founding? They're many light-years from Sol, and at that point in the time line there's no access to FTL travel. I could just about imagine the crew of the sleeper ship doing what they did. Years on end of work and effort, under pressure and with no margin for error, while your passengers slept blissfully away...yeah, I could picture the crew deciding to rig the game in their favor on arrival, given how easy it would be to do. Even if the UN government found out about it (which would takes years for the messages to reach Sol), they can't really _do_ anything about it.

As Bugs Bunny once said to Mission Control, "You are hardly in a position to enforce your wishes."

The outcome, the society we see in the story, I don't find that as convincing. But I don't find most of Niven's politics and societies convincing. Pournelle is better at that stuff, that's part of why their collaborations used to work so well.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<f8758b27-6851-4574-95d8-aa1170ed7d00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88074&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88074

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 19:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnny1a...@gmail.com (Johnny1A)
 by: Johnny1A - Mon, 8 May 2023 02:02 UTC

On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>
> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
> his dreams are not her dreams.
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cant-you-see

As for the birth control, well, Niven (like Asimov) was one those SF writers who thought the population bomb was a real thing. It was a common trope of the era, and it shows up all over Niven's fiction from that time. In a non-fiction commentary Niven wrote (way back then) about the Gil Hamilton stories, he actually said that he didn't see how the future could avoid the rigid, oppressive population control regimes such as the ones in his KS stories, bar a major nuclear war or something like that.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<hg5i5i5ub9ejlaujhekpr8hvppi1ito6u6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88095&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88095

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 08:34:04 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 8 May 2023 15:34 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT), Johnny1A
<johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26?AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
>> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>>
>> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
>> his dreams are not her dreams.
>
>To be fair, I think Niven _intended_ Matt to come across mostly as he did. He's young, inexperienced, frustrated (let's be honest, being cursed with a psi talent that causes women who would otherwise find you interesting to _automatically_ lose interest _because you find them attractive_ would make most young inexperienced males think and act at least a little like Matt. I also suspect his actual behavior, once he learns to control his power, won't be as creepy as the ending seems to imply. Matt isn't so much evil or sadistic as he is frustrated, shallow and inexperienced. I suspect the Matt of five years later would be far more mature and balanced.)
>
>The problems with Plateau as a world, yeah, there's no way around that. Unless there's some weirdness holding that mountain up in the sky, it should sink down. And there almost has to be life down in that soup somewhere to replenish the oxygen. But a lot of Niven's KS worlds have that sort of issue. Jinx, for ex, the egg-shaped world, I don't believe in it for a moment. A planet could be pulled into an egg shape, of course, by the appropriate gravitational conditions, but it would sink back into a sphere as soon as they were removed.
>
>Regarding the governments...how _could_ the UN government influence their founding? They're many light-years from Sol, and at that point in the time line there's no access to FTL travel. I could just about imagine the crew of the sleeper ship doing what they did. Years on end of work and effort, under pressure and with no margin for error, while your passengers slept blissfully away...yeah, I could picture the crew deciding to rig the game in their favor on arrival, given how easy it would be to do. Even if the UN government found out about it (which would takes years for the messages to reach Sol), they can't really _do_ anything about it.
>
>As Bugs Bunny once said to Mission Control, "You are hardly in a position to enforce your wishes."

Isn't that the one where they lure him into doing what the went by
dangling a carrot in front of him?

Which turns out, when he finally gets his hands on it, to be ...
metal?

--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<u3bjns$3vbir$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88105&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88105

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 14:49:18 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 8 May 2023 19:49 UTC

On 5/7/2023 9:00 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>
> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
> his dreams are not her dreams.
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cant-you-see

I actually have this book in my SBR. Someday I will read it (again).

Lynn

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<v6ti5ilohqdaspl9kbqv73pm97jfepun5e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88112&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88112

From: ban...@dontspam.silent.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 23:19:25 +0100
 by: ban...@dontspam.silent.com - Mon, 8 May 2023 22:19 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 19:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Johnny1A
<johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26?AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
>> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>>
>> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
>> his dreams are not her dreams.
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cant-you-see
>
>As for the birth control, well, Niven (like Asimov) was one those SF writers who thought the population bomb was a real thing. It was a common trope of the era, and it shows up all over Niven's fiction from that time. In a non-fiction commentary Niven wrote (way back then) about the Gil Hamilton stories, he actually said that he didn't see how the future could avoid the rigid, oppressive population control regimes such as the ones in his KS stories, bar a major nuclear war or something like that.

When Niven was writing A Gift From Earth the population was about 3.5
billion. Now it is 8 billion, so more than doubled in a little of 50
years. He might end up being correct about population controls.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<u3bvde$dhh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88113&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88113

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 16:08:33 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 8 May 2023 23:08 UTC

On 5/8/2023 3:19 PM, banjo@dontspam.silent.com wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 19:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Johnny1A
> <johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26?AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
>>>
>>> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
>>> his dreams are not her dreams.
>>>
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/cant-you-see
>>
>> As for the birth control, well, Niven (like Asimov) was one those SF writers who thought the population bomb was a real thing. It was a common trope of the era, and it shows up all over Niven's fiction from that time. In a non-fiction commentary Niven wrote (way back then) about the Gil Hamilton stories, he actually said that he didn't see how the future could avoid the rigid, oppressive population control regimes such as the ones in his KS stories, bar a major nuclear war or something like that.
>
> When Niven was writing A Gift From Earth the population was about 3.5
> billion. Now it is 8 billion, so more than doubled in a little of 50
> years. He might end up being correct about population controls.

Only if you ignore the fact that birth rates are currently declining to
below the level required to sustain the current population numbers.

dirty old man.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<fbe75ff9-941a-454c-92b7-76b174a2c4a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88120&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88120

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 21:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnny1a...@gmail.com (Johnny1A)
 by: Johnny1A - Tue, 9 May 2023 04:35 UTC

On Monday, May 8, 2023 at 10:35:50 AM UTC-5, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT), Johnny1A
> <johnny1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 9:00:26?AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven
> >>
> >> An invisible man pursues the girl of his dreams. Problem is,
> >> his dreams are not her dreams.
> >
> >To be fair, I think Niven _intended_ Matt to come across mostly as he did. He's young, inexperienced, frustrated (let's be honest, being cursed with a psi talent that causes women who would otherwise find you interesting to _automatically_ lose interest _because you find them attractive_ would make most young inexperienced males think and act at least a little like Matt.. I also suspect his actual behavior, once he learns to control his power, won't be as creepy as the ending seems to imply. Matt isn't so much evil or sadistic as he is frustrated, shallow and inexperienced. I suspect the Matt of five years later would be far more mature and balanced.)
> >
> >The problems with Plateau as a world, yeah, there's no way around that. Unless there's some weirdness holding that mountain up in the sky, it should sink down. And there almost has to be life down in that soup somewhere to replenish the oxygen. But a lot of Niven's KS worlds have that sort of issue. Jinx, for ex, the egg-shaped world, I don't believe in it for a moment. A planet could be pulled into an egg shape, of course, by the appropriate gravitational conditions, but it would sink back into a sphere as soon as they were removed.
> >
> >Regarding the governments...how _could_ the UN government influence their founding? They're many light-years from Sol, and at that point in the time line there's no access to FTL travel. I could just about imagine the crew of the sleeper ship doing what they did. Years on end of work and effort, under pressure and with no margin for error, while your passengers slept blissfully away...yeah, I could picture the crew deciding to rig the game in their favor on arrival, given how easy it would be to do. Even if the UN government found out about it (which would takes years for the messages to reach Sol), they can't really _do_ anything about it.
> >
> >As Bugs Bunny once said to Mission Control, "You are hardly in a position to enforce your wishes."
> Isn't that the one where they lure him into doing what the went by
> dangling a carrot in front of him?
>
> Which turns out, when he finally gets his hands on it, to be ...
> metal?

Yep, that's the one. But the crew already had the carrots on Plateau.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<iis6M.517720$mmyc.507456@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88131&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88131

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 13:56:30 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 9 May 2023 13:56 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:
>On 5/8/2023 3:19 PM, banjo@dontspam.silent.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 May 2023 19:02:43 -0700 (PDT), Johnny1A
>> <johnny1a.again@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As for the birth control, well, Niven (like Asimov) was one those SF writers who thought the population bomb was a real thing. It was a common trope of the era, and it shows up all over Niven's fiction from that time. In a non-fiction commentary Niven wrote (way back then) about the Gil Hamilton stories, he actually said that he didn't see how the future could avoid the rigid, oppressive population control regimes such as the ones in his KS stories, bar a major nuclear war or something like that.
>>
>> When Niven was writing A Gift From Earth the population was about 3.5
>> billion. Now it is 8 billion, so more than doubled in a little of 50
>> years. He might end up being correct about population controls.
>
>Only if you ignore the fact that birth rates are currently declining to
>below the level required to sustain the current population numbers.

Which is true in parts of the world, and not true in other parts.

Regardless, the carrying capacity of the planet has been exceeded
for quite some time now.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<u3do6l$9vih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88135&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88135

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 08:17:42 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 9 May 2023 15:17 UTC

On 5/9/2023 6:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:
>> On 5/8/2023 3:19 PM, banjo@dontspam.silent.com wrote:

>>> When Niven was writing A Gift From Earth the population was about 3.5
>>> billion. Now it is 8 billion, so more than doubled in a little of 50
>>> years. He might end up being correct about population controls.
>>
>> Only if you ignore the fact that birth rates are currently declining to
>> below the level required to sustain the current population numbers.
>
> Which is true in parts of the world, and not true in other parts.
>
> Regardless, the carrying capacity of the planet has been exceeded
> for quite some time now.

That is based on what? Localized food shortages caused by political and
ethnic conflicts? Pollution caused by organizations that can easily
afford to reduce or eliminate it but would rather have the extra profits?

dirty old man.

Re: (Tears) A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven

<7Bt6M.1712465$t5W7.176780@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88137&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88137

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 15:24:51 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 9 May 2023 15:24 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:
>On 5/9/2023 6:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:

>>> Only if you ignore the fact that birth rates are currently declining to
>>> below the level required to sustain the current population numbers.
>>
>> Which is true in parts of the world, and not true in other parts.
>>
>> Regardless, the carrying capacity of the planet has been exceeded
>> for quite some time now.
>
>That is based on what? Localized food shortages caused by political and
>ethnic conflicts? Pollution caused by organizations that can easily
>afford to reduce or eliminate it but would rather have the extra profits?

Energy use and growth, primarily.

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/9js5291m