Out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing can ever be made. -- Immanuel Kant

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

SubjectAuthor
* Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittDefault User
`* Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittLynn McGuire
 `* Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittAhasuerus
  +* Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittLynn McGuire
  |`- Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittDorothy J Heydt
  `- Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevittDefault User

1
Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<u3crqe$6orc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88122&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88122

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 07:13:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Tue, 9 May 2023 07:13 UTC

This is the latest in the Alex Benedict/Chase Kolpath adventures taking
place in America in Space. I was a bit surprised when this popped up in
the library's ebooks, as I wasn't sure there ever be any more.

Anyway, the "Visitation Project" has been scouting for alien
civilizations, because we're kind of lonely with just billions of
humans on a bunch of planets. Oh, and the Ashiyyur AKA The Mutes, that
we almost went to war with. But those guys are pretty weird, what with
the telepathy instead of talking and us not being able to lie to them
and all, so nobody likes them much.

Then huzzah, the VP has found a world with aliens! Well, a few. Like
one little town. But hey, green-skinned aliens hanging out on the
porches. They head on back home, in spite of several of the crew
wanting to immediately violate the no-contact mandate law and go try to
talk to them. Not to worry, they'd planned to bring weapons!

So a new bigger expedition is formed, along with a news guy, and they
head back for a better look. Except, there's no town! Hmmm. Well,
that's a bummer. They do find a satellite in orbit now, so they snag
that. They poke around a bit on the planet, but don't find anything but
a creepy feeling like someone's looking at them.

Meanwhile, the folks back on Rimway get a message. "Hey there, we're
some aliens, coming for a visit!" Huh. Do they have anything to do with
the other aliens? Nope, just a coinky-dink. In fact, these aliens kind
of look like spiders. But they're bringing some books, and they'd like
to get some in return.

So interest in the green alien expedition plummets and the project crew
mopes back, bringing the satellite.

After the new aliens arrive, swap books, get some tee-shirts at the
gift show, and high-five all around, they head back home. "We'll
probably be back!" Everybody decides that the first alien business is
of no interest, so let's all just drop that investigation. And in fact
nobody is allowed to go there or even know where the place is.

However, Alex decides they might find some artifacts that they can
sell, because that what he does. Eventually the pilot from the first
expedition, Robbie Jo, decides to show them where it is anyway, so off
they go to investigate. What will they find? Were there really aliens
there? If so, where did they go?

In general, I have enjoyed this series. It's always had some troubling
aspects, and this book seems to have doubled-down on some of them.

1. The setting has the problem that any of us could be scooped up and
dumped on Rimway 9000 years or whatever in the future, and need about a
30 minute orientation to feel right at home. I wasn't kidding about
America in Space. Like Chase finishes up her volleyball game and heads
over to her boyfriend's classic bookstore. Go to a restaurant and have
spaghetti and meatballs, or chicken strips with honey-mustard.

2. This book was almost ridiculously padded. There were so many
pointless scenes, especially in the early going. That includes, on the
way to investigate, Alex and crew deciding to stop off for a beach
vacation.

3. The pacing was not great. It took over half the book for Alex and
Chase to launch their journey. By the time the real events get going,
all that has to be packed into the last third or so, with some lucky
events to make it even plausible that they accomplished anything.

4. What was the point of the spider aliens? Other than eating up a
bunch of book space. I guess it was supposed to make the decision to
drop the other investigation plausible, but it didn't make sense to me.

I assume there's supposed to a follow-up book, otherwise we have quite
a few hanging chads here. Still, if you like the series, you'll
probably want to read it. If you aren't familiar with it, don't start
here.

Brian

Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<u3e6cl$bpu5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88149&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88149

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 14:19:47 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 9 May 2023 19:19 UTC

On 5/9/2023 2:13 AM, Default User wrote:
> [...]
> pointless scenes, especially in the early going. That includes, on the
> way to investigate, Alex and crew deciding to stop off for a beach
> vacation.
>
> 3. The pacing was not great. It took over half the book for Alex and
> Chase to launch their journey. By the time the real events get going,
> all that has to be packed into the last third or so, with some lucky
> events to make it even plausible that they accomplished anything.
>
> 4. What was the point of the spider aliens? Other than eating up a
> bunch of book space. I guess it was supposed to make the decision to
> drop the other investigation plausible, but it didn't make sense to me.
>
> I assume there's supposed to a follow-up book, otherwise we have quite
> a few hanging chads here. Still, if you like the series, you'll
> probably want to read it. If you aren't familiar with it, don't start

The Alex Benedict series has been slowing down for a while. But I still
like it.
https://www.amazon.com/Village-Sky-Alex-Benedict-Novel/dp/1668004291/

No announced MMPB yet. Bummer.

Lynn

Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<a5561c9e-579a-4048-9637-29e3d20365d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88155&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88155

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 14:48:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Tue, 9 May 2023 21:48 UTC

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:19:53 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
[snip-snip]
> The Alex Benedict series has been slowing down for a while. But I still
> like it.

Jack McDevitt turned 88 a few weeks ago. As John W. Campbell, Jr.
pointed out some 60 years ago, no one is getting any younger.

Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<u3eik3$d2vq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88159&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88159

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 17:48:35 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 9 May 2023 22:48 UTC

On 5/9/2023 4:48 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:19:53 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [snip-snip]
>> The Alex Benedict series has been slowing down for a while. But I still
>> like it.
>
> Jack McDevitt turned 88 a few weeks ago. As John W. Campbell, Jr.
> pointed out some 60 years ago, no one is getting any younger.

Good for him writing new books into his late 80s !

I am 62 and am tired.

Lynn

Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<u3f0qm$i797$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88164&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88164

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 02:51:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Wed, 10 May 2023 02:51 UTC

Ahasuerus wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:19:53 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>[snip-snip]

Thank you!

>> The Alex Benedict series has been slowing down for a while. But I
>>still like it.
>
>Jack McDevitt turned 88 a few weeks ago. As John W. Campbell, Jr.
>pointed out some 60 years ago, no one is getting any younger.

That's why I thought it had probably wrapped up with Octavia Gone. Now
I'd be kind of disappointed if there isn't another to handle some of
the loose ends.

Brian

Re: Recently read: Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt

<ruH4B1.Fwr@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88195&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 02:59:25 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 11 May 2023 02:59 UTC

In article <u3eik3$d2vq$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 5/9/2023 4:48 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:19:53 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> [snip-snip]
>>> The Alex Benedict series has been slowing down for a while. But I still
>>> like it.
>>
>> Jack McDevitt turned 88 a few weeks ago. As John W. Campbell, Jr.
>> pointed out some 60 years ago, no one is getting any younger.
>
>Good for him writing new books into his late 80s !
>
>I am 62 and am tired.

(Hal Heydt)
It probabvly has a lot to do with being driven to write (there's
the quote from Asimov, for instance). Dorothy wrote that last,
short, piece, while in the hospital, less than a week before she
died.