There is nothing stranger in a strange land than the stranger who comes to visit.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "stopping time" books and stories?Person Man
+- Re: "stopping time" books and stories?Don
`* Re: "stopping time" books and stories?Gary R. Schmidt
 +- Re: "stopping time" books and stories?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 `- Re: "stopping time" books and stories?Mike Spencer

1
Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

<c57bb6a9-721a-4d03-b3fd-b69ab4b199f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88396&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88396

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 15:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "stopping time" books and stories?
From: marshado...@gmail.com (Person Man)
 by: Person Man - Thu, 18 May 2023 22:08 UTC

Probably different from most other suggestions here, but the anime "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" features this power as the ability of the main antagonist in part 3, "Stardust Crusaders". Since each part of Jojo is its own story, you can start on part 3 without watching the first 2. In part 5, the main antagonist has the ability to skip time, which is different, but I still find the concept very interesting. He can basically view everything happening in his own little void for up to 10 seconds, and the user of the power himself is the only one that can move of his own free will, all others only move along the path of what they are destined to do, and the user cannot interact with anything that is happening while time is being skipped, and when it ends, everyone but the user has no memory of what happened during those 10 seconds.

Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

<20230518a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88397&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88397

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 00:41:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 19 May 2023 00:41 UTC

Person Man wrote:
> Probably different from most other suggestions here, but the anime
> "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" features this power as the ability of the
> main antagonist in part 3, "Stardust Crusaders". Since each part of
> Jojo is its own story, you can start on part 3 without watching the
> first 2. In part 5, the main antagonist has the ability to skip time,
> which is different, but I still find the concept very interesting. He
> can basically view everything happening in his own little void for
> up to 10 seconds, and the user of the power himself is the only one
> that can move of his own free will, all others only move along the path
> of what they are destined to do, and the user cannot interact with anything
> that is happening while time is being skipped, and when it ends, everyone
> but the user has no memory of what happened during those 10 seconds.

Eddington's "arrow of time" was popularized in science fiction back in
the day. "Prisoner of Time" (Cross, 1942) uses an operating table sized
entropy stasis hemisphere to stop time.

My primary motivation to read Perry Rhodan is for its expository
temporal conjectures. A whole ton of MilSF can be tolerated for a tad of
time theorization.
PR0076 "Under the Stars of Druffon," discloses a Zeiterstarrer
(time-paralyzer). It functions as a Krümmungsfeld-Generator (curvature
field generator) to open a portal to Ouspensky's fifth dimension: Space-
Time Curvature.
PR divides deep space into normal, or Einstein space, versus
"hyperspace," or Ouspensky's fifth dimension. Time initially passes
72,000 times slower along the front, the zone of contact, in the
continuum between planet Druufon's galaxy and the Milky Way.
It's time to transition to temporal thought experiments in Einstein
space. A hot plate's thermal gradient, with consequent expansion and
contraction, can cause curves in the nominally linear, shortest distance
between a couple of points on the hot plate, as perceived by a 2-D
traveler. The traveler's path describes an arc of a great circle.

Now we want to relate what we have just been talking about
to the idea of curved space-time. We have already pointed out
that if the time goes at different rates in different places,
it is analogous to the curved space of the hot plate. But
it is more than an analogy; it means space-time /is/ curved.

_The Feynman Lectures on Physics_

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

<ocjjjj-987.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88402&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88402

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 17:00:08 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 19 May 2023 07:00 UTC

On 19/05/2023 08:08, Person Man wrote:
> Probably different from most other suggestions here, but the anime "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" features this power as the ability of the main antagonist in part 3, "Stardust Crusaders". Since each part of Jojo is its own story, you can start on part 3 without watching the first 2. In part 5, the main antagonist has the ability to skip time, which is different, but I still find the concept very interesting. He can basically view everything happening in his own little void for up to 10 seconds, and the user of the power himself is the only one that can move of his own free will, all others only move along the path of what they are destined to do, and the user cannot interact with anything that is happening while time is being skipped, and when it ends, everyone but the user has no memory of what happened during those 10 seconds.

"The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything", by John D. MacDonald.
Published in 1962.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

<kcp7kiFoo6bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88408&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88408

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 19 May 2023 12:16:18 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 12:16 UTC

In article <ocjjjj-987.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>,
Gary R. Schmidt <grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:
>On 19/05/2023 08:08, Person Man wrote:
>> Probably different from most other suggestions here, but the anime
>"JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" features this power as the ability of the
>main antagonist in part 3, "Stardust Crusaders". Since each part of Jojo
>is its own story, you can start on part 3 without watching the first 2.
>In part 5, the main antagonist has the ability to skip time, which is
>different, but I still find the concept very interesting. He can
>basically view everything happening in his own little void for up to 10
>seconds, and the user of the power himself is the only one that can move
>of his own free will, all others only move along the path of what they
>are destined to do, and the user cannot interact with anything that is
>happening while time is being skipped, and when it ends, everyone but
>the user has no memory of what happened during those 10 seconds.
>
>"The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything", by John D. MacDonald.
>Published in 1962.

J.A. Sutherland did an homage at:

"Twisting Time"
by J.A. Sutherland
https://dl.bookfunnel.com/ggi6c2zeae (free download)

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "stopping time" books and stories?

<87mt1y8t6c.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=88447&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88447

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 20 May 2023 20:44:11 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Sat, 20 May 2023 23:44 UTC

"Gary R. Schmidt" <grschmidt@acm.org> writes:

> "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything", by John D. MacDonald.
> Published in 1962.

Beat me to it. One of my favorites!

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada