You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

arts / rec.arts.comics.strips / Re: Parodies of Peanuts?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Parodies of Peanuts?MaskedMarvyl
`* Re: Parodies of Peanuts?Andrew Kieswetter
 `- Re: Parodies of Peanuts?Brian Henke

1
Re: Parodies of Peanuts?

<89ec6d4f-30a1-4294-af1b-3f2f6352ec54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8928&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#8928

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 03:55:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Parodies of Peanuts?
From: jondav...@gmail.com (MaskedMarvyl)
 by: MaskedMarvyl - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 11:55 UTC

On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 4:56:24 AM UTC-7, heine...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > There was an Arlo and Janis arc (October 1997) in which Jimmy Johnson
> > > depicted Arlo visiting a piano showroom; the salesman was clearly a
> > > grown-up Schroeder.
> > >

> > I remember also a (brief) parody by Al Capp in '68 (I think). Brief because he
> > abandoned it after a few strips when Schulz said he didn't like it.

> Topps has done Wacky Packages takes on Peanuts characters:
> * Lucy's Psychastric Monthly magazine - Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary series 2017
> * Scoopy's Sno-Crush Machine (spoof of Hasbro Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine) - Wacky Packages Old School 6 series 2017
> * Plastered Peanuts (spoof of Planters Peanuts with Peanuts characters) - Wacky Packages Go To The Movies series 2018

There was a very nasty parody of Peanuts in National Lampoon that could never be done today, called Popcorn, with black children as characters. Charlie Brown was parodied with a character called "Bad, bad Leroy Brown", a seemingly innocent kid who did some very nasty things. He had a pet rat instead of a pet Beagle, and Lucy was an overdeveloped black girl who Leroy Brown lusted after (and is heavily implied that he raped off-panel in one cartoon). It was extremely racist, portrayed black kids as universally shiftless and malicious, and I'm surprised it was allowed by National Lampoon, even in the 1960s. The cartoonist was, in my opinion, a racist asshole. And that's putting it mildly.

Re: Parodies of Peanuts?

<6fcd5a4c-80e6-4ff3-9fbd-a7b9663508e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8931&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#8931

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 01:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From: damiaj...@gmail.com (Andrew Kieswetter)
 by: Andrew Kieswetter - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 09:50 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 10:25:55 PM UTC+10:30, MaskedMarvyl wrote:

> > > I remember also a (brief) parody by Al Capp in '68 (I think). Brief because he
> > > abandoned it after a few strips when Schulz said he didn't like it.

> > Topps has done Wacky Packages takes on Peanuts characters:
> > * Lucy's Psychastric Monthly magazine - Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary series 2017
> > * Scoopy's Sno-Crush Machine (spoof of Hasbro Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine) - Wacky Packages Old School 6 series 2017
> > * Plastered Peanuts (spoof of Planters Peanuts with Peanuts characters) - Wacky Packages Go To The Movies series 2018
> There was a very nasty parody of Peanuts in National Lampoon that could never be done today, called Popcorn, with black children as characters. Charlie Brown was parodied with a character called "Bad, bad Leroy Brown", a seemingly innocent kid who did some very nasty things. He had a pet rat instead of a pet Beagle, and Lucy was an overdeveloped black girl who Leroy Brown lusted after (and is heavily implied that he raped off-panel in one cartoon). It was extremely racist, portrayed black kids as universally shiftless and malicious, and I'm surprised it was allowed by National Lampoon, even in the 1960s. The cartoonist was, in my opinion, a racist asshole. And that's putting it mildly.

It was called 'Goobers featuring Bad,Bad Leroy Brown'.

There was also a Peanuts parody in Lil' Abner called 'Peewee' by Good Ol' Bedly Damp.

Andrew Kieswetter
ap.kies@hotmail.com

Re: Parodies of Peanuts?

<5a911768-b01e-4606-8d61-b1f160255193n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8934&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#8934

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 15:28:33 -0800 (PST)
From: cincy43...@yahoo.com (Brian Henke)
 by: Brian Henke - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 23:28 UTC

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 4:50:05 AM UTC-5, dami...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 10:25:55 PM UTC+10:30, MaskedMarvyl wrote:

> > > Topps has done Wacky Packages takes on Peanuts characters:
> > > * Lucy's Psychastric Monthly magazine - Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary series 2017
> > > * Scoopy's Sno-Crush Machine (spoof of Hasbro Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine) - Wacky Packages Old School 6 series 2017
> > > * Plastered Peanuts (spoof of Planters Peanuts with Peanuts characters) - Wacky Packages Go To The Movies series 2018
> > There was a very nasty parody of Peanuts in National Lampoon that could never be done today, called Popcorn, with black children as characters. Charlie Brown was parodied with a character called "Bad, bad Leroy Brown", a seemingly innocent kid who did some very nasty things. He had a pet rat instead of a pet Beagle, and Lucy was an overdeveloped black girl who Leroy Brown lusted after (and is heavily implied that he raped off-panel in one cartoon). It was extremely racist, portrayed black kids as universally shiftless and malicious, and I'm surprised it was allowed by National Lampoon, even in the 1960s. The cartoonist was, in my opinion, a racist asshole. And that's putting it mildly.
> It was called 'Goobers featuring Bad,Bad Leroy Brown'.
>
> There was also a Peanuts parody in Lil' Abner called 'Peewee' by Good Ol' Bedly Damp.
>
> Andrew Kieswetter
> ap....@hotmail.com

Plus, there was a Mad magazine parody in issue #393 called "The last Peanuts episodes you never saw!"

Cincy43235@yahoo.com

----

Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read

,- Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio