You can't cheat the phone company.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

SubjectAuthor
* "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerLynn McGuire
+* Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerDon
|+- Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerLynn McGuire
|`- Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerRobert Carnegie
+- Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerLynn McGuire
`- Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard KunstlerLynn McGuire

1
"World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<u6vhco$2vv9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89433&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89433

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:00:38 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 19:00 UTC

"World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/

Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series. I read the
well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
2009 that I bought new on Amazon. I have ordered the second book in the
series.

In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
world started running out of crude oil in 2008. Then somebody popped
off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
in Washington DC. And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
the 1800s over the next several decades. We were back to times that the
flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population.
This book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040. The book is a page turner
with short three to five page chapters.

The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going. No electricity
and the farms are worked by hand now. The population is maybe 20% of
what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
empty all over town. All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.

The author has an active website at
https://kunstler.com/
Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars (1,098 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<20230621b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89435&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89435

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:17:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:17 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
> https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/
>
> Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series. I read the
> well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
> 2009 that I bought new on Amazon. I have ordered the second book in the
> series.
>
> In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
> world started running out of crude oil in 2008. Then somebody popped
> off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
> in Washington DC. And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
> the 1800s over the next several decades. We were back to times that the
> flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population.
> This book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040. The book is a page turner
> with short three to five page chapters.
>
> The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
> No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going. No electricity
> and the farms are worked by hand now. The population is maybe 20% of
> what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
> empty all over town. All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
> antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.
>
> The author has an active website at
> https://kunstler.com/
> Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.

"Clusterfork Nation" works better for me. Kunstler's always good for a
laugh. This time he delivers with "Eyesore of the Month:"

<https://kunstler.com/eyesore-of-the-month/june-2023/>

... Wow! Who would have believed that this thing would present
even more incoherently on its side and back? The organizational
incoherence appears to be a steel and glass analog for mental
illness. Well then, it is very much a thing Of Our Time. It may
even represent the essence of Woke-ness ...

ROTFL.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<u6vqim$313ki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89436&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89436

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:37:26 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:37 UTC

On 6/21/2023 4:17 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
>> https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/
>>
>> Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series. I read the
>> well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
>> 2009 that I bought new on Amazon. I have ordered the second book in the
>> series.
>>
>> In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
>> world started running out of crude oil in 2008. Then somebody popped
>> off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
>> in Washington DC. And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
>> the 1800s over the next several decades. We were back to times that the
>> flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population.
>> This book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040. The book is a page turner
>> with short three to five page chapters.
>>
>> The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
>> No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going. No electricity
>> and the farms are worked by hand now. The population is maybe 20% of
>> what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
>> empty all over town. All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
>> antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.
>>
>> The author has an active website at
>> https://kunstler.com/
>> Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.
>
> "Clusterfork Nation" works better for me. Kunstler's always good for a
> laugh. This time he delivers with "Eyesore of the Month:"
>
> <https://kunstler.com/eyesore-of-the-month/june-2023/>
>
> ... Wow! Who would have believed that this thing would present
> even more incoherently on its side and back? The organizational
> incoherence appears to be a steel and glass analog for mental
> illness. Well then, it is very much a thing Of Our Time. It may
> even represent the essence of Woke-ness ...
>
> ROTFL.
>
> Danke,

That is an incredible amount of wasted steel for sure. The base
building would look much better to me.

Lynn

Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<f2e0eb17-516b-4293-85dd-dbe489486eccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89438&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89438

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:55:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:55 UTC

On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 22:17:32 UTC+1, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
> > https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/
> >
> > Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series. I read the
> > well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
> > 2009 that I bought new on Amazon. I have ordered the second book in the
> > series.
> >
> > In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
> > world started running out of crude oil in 2008. Then somebody popped
> > off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
> > in Washington DC. And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
> > the 1800s over the next several decades. We were back to times that the
> > flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population.
> > This book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040. The book is a page turner
> > with short three to five page chapters.
> >
> > The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
> > No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going. No electricity
> > and the farms are worked by hand now. The population is maybe 20% of
> > what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
> > empty all over town. All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
> > antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.
> >
> > The author has an active website at
> > https://kunstler.com/
> > Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.
> "Clusterfork Nation" works better for me. Kunstler's always good for a
> laugh. This time he delivers with "Eyesore of the Month:"
>
> <https://kunstler.com/eyesore-of-the-month/june-2023/>
>
> ... Wow! Who would have believed that this thing would present
> even more incoherently on its side and back? The organizational
> incoherence appears to be a steel and glass analog for mental
> illness. Well then, it is very much a thing Of Our Time. It may
> even represent the essence of Woke-ness ...
>
> ROTFL.

It is a very rude word in Gallifreyan script.
If you wire your "Chameleon Circuit" backwards
then it makes you as conspicuous as possible.

It's smaller on the inside.

Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<u6vs7q$31c4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89439&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89439

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:05:46 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 22:05 UTC

On 6/21/2023 2:00 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
>    https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/
>
> Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series.  I read the
> well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
> 2009 that I bought new on Amazon.  I have ordered the second book in the
> series.
>
> In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
> world started running out of crude oil in 2008.  Then somebody popped
> off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
> in Washington DC.  And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
> the 1800s over the next several decades.  We were back to times that the
> flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population. This
> book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040.  The book is a page turner with
> short three to five page chapters.
>
> The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
> No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going.  No electricity
> and the farms are worked by hand now.  The population is maybe 20% of
> what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
> empty all over town.  All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
> antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.
>
> The author has an active website at
>    https://kunstler.com/
> Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.
>
> My rating:  4.4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.3 out of 5 stars (1,098 reviews)
>
> Lynn

BTW, somebody recommended this book to me recently, I forgot who though
so I do not know who to thank.

Lynn

Re: "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler

<u703m0$31uta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=89440&group=rec.arts.sf.written#89440

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 19:12:48 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 00:12 UTC

On 6/21/2023 2:00 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler
>    https://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/
>
> Book number one of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series.  I read the
> well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
> 2009 that I bought new on Amazon.  I have ordered the second book in the
> series.
>
> In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
> world started running out of crude oil in 2008.  Then somebody popped
> off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a nuclear bomb
> in Washington DC.  And the world slowed down and the USA moved back to
> the 1800s over the next several decades.  We were back to times that the
> flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the population. This
> book is set roughly in 2030 or 2040.  The book is a page turner with
> short three to five page chapters.
>
> The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
> No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going.  No electricity
> and the farms are worked by hand now.  The population is maybe 20% of
> what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
> empty all over town.  All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
> antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.
>
> The author has an active website at
>    https://kunstler.com/
> Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.
>
> My rating:  4.4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.3 out of 5 stars (1,098 reviews)
>
> Lynn

From
https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/comments/14fg8fm/comment/jp0zsvq/

If you want a similar tone and themes, read Ken Liu's Staying Behind.
https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/liu_10_11/

“Save her for what?” Carol is suddenly furious. She does not move.
“This is a play, a joke, a re-enactment of something that never was. Did
you go to your prom on a bicycle? Did you play only songs that your
parents listened to when they were kids? Did you grow up thinking that
scavenging would be the only profession? Our way of life is long gone,
dead, finished!

“What will you have her do when this house falls apart in thirty
years? What will she do when the last bottle of aspirin is gone, the
last steel pot rusted through? Will you condemn her and her children to
a life of picking through our garbage heaps, sliding down the technology
ladder year after year until they’ve lost all the progress made by the
human race in the last five thousand years?”

Lynn