From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: XKCD: Washing Machine Settings
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 22:31:52 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 03:31 UTC

https://xkcd.com/2724/

The paper manual that came with my machine doesn't even suggest that
the questions Cueball is asking might concievably exist, let alone
have answers.

After much searching, found that the maker of the machine *has* posted
a table that purports to answer those questions.

Every single line of the table reads:

name of button | use for name of button

discussed at

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2724:_Washing_Machine_Settings

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: XKCD: Washing Machine Settings

<tqaknp$19q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8948&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#8948

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: XKCD: Washing Machine Settings
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:33:46 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 05:33 UTC

On 2023-01-19 03:31:52 +0000, Joy Beeson said:

> https://xkcd.com/2724/
>
> The paper manual that came with my machine doesn't even suggest that
> the questions Cueball is asking might concievably exist, let alone
> have answers.
>
> After much searching, found that the maker of the machine *has* posted
> a table that purports to answer those questions.
>
> Every single line of the table reads:
>
> name of button | use for name of button
>
> discussed at
>

> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2724:_Washing_Machine_Settings

That must be a very old comic strip. These days you don't get an actual
user manual at all. You're lucky if you even get a single-sided printed
sheet telling you how to turn the device on!

Re: XKCD: Washing Machine Settings

<2oOdnb87LvevT1T-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=8951&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#8951

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:28:50 -0500
From: john.w.k...@gmail.com (John W Kennedy)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
 by: John W Kennedy - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 23:28 UTC

On 1/19/23 12:33 AM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-01-19 03:31:52 +0000, Joy Beeson said:
>>
>> https://xkcd.com/2724/
>>
>> The paper manual that came with my machine doesn't even suggest that
>> the questions Cueball is asking might concievably exist, let alone
>> have answers.
>>
>> After much searching, found that the maker of the machine *has* posted
>> a table that purports to answer those questions.
>>
>> Every single line of the table reads:
>>
>> name of button | use for name of button
>>
>> discussed at
>>

>> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2724:_Washing_Machine_Settings
>
> That must be a very old comic strip. These days you don't get an actual
> user manual at all. You're lucky if you even get a single-sided printed
> sheet telling you how to turn the device on!

Our washer is relatively recent, and has a manual, and so do our major
kitchen appliances (we recently tore it down to the studs and replaced
everything) do, too.

Now, computers are something else. I used to have five bookshelves full
of 3-ring binders about MVS/XA, while macOS (or iOS or iPadOS or watchOS
or tvOS) is far more complex than MVS, and has no paper docuemntation at
all, unless you count the e-book “The Swift Programming Language”.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,