Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Darth Vader as the terminus of the hero's journey
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 14:30 UTC

There is a comparison (I think written partly just for amusement) of the trajectory from Anakin Skywalker through to Darth Vader to the career of somebody joining the (British) army and receiving several promotions at https://www.reddit.com/r/britishmilitary/comments/14j8vog/army_career_be_the_best/.. I am amused to consider the possibility that abusive managers - in whatever occupation - may once have been juniors with good intentions, and that the story of Darth Vader is a literary treatment of something close to a universal truth.

(I occasionally visit the British Military reddit because I am British, and the US Navy reddit, because so much enjoyable SF has some sort of navy background. I expected and found on the British Military many people displaying their personal senses of humour. I was surprised to see how may people on the US Navy reddit were fed up with life there and alienated from its officers and higher command - something not usually reflected in MilSF. My guess is that the US Navy churns through a fair number of people who fill necessary roles that are neither very skilled nor very rewarding and that there seems to be little incentive for employer to treat employee well or vice versa)