From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Lightning" by Dean Koontz
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:57:10 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 23:57 UTC

"Lightning" by Dean Koontz
https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Dean-Koontz/dp/0425192032/

A standalone science fiction book, no sequel or prequel. I reread the
well printed and well bound MMPB that was published by Berkley in 1988,
I bought new copy from Amazon. I've read this book several times and
enjoy it very much. I have read many other excellent novels by Dean
Koontz such as "Watchers", the "Odd Thomas" series, and several others.
Dean Koontz has published 105 novels over the years and sold over 450
million copies of his works. An interesting fact, his publisher refused
to publish this book, he had to talk them into it for four months, they
wanted to wait seven years. And then they slow rolled the book out with
zero promotion even though it went onto the best seller lists immediately.

Laura Shane was born with a guardian angel, Stefan. Her mother went
into labor but her doctor was drunk. Stefan prevented her doctor from
operating on her mother and crippling her for life. At the age of
eight, Stefan prevented a thief from killing her and her father in his
small grocery store. But at the age of twelve, Stefan could not prevent
her father from passing away due to a heart attack but he attended the
funeral. Laura was subsequently placed in an orphanage where she was
preyed upon by the janitor. Stefan beat the man up and told him to stay
away from Laura but the man attacked Laura when she was placed in a
foster home where she killed him.

Every time Laura saw Stefan, he was preceded by lightning and thunder,
even if the weather was clear. And he never aged during the thirty
years where he saved Laura from several situations. Stefan's origin is
shocking and pushes the book into awesome territory.

Dean Koontz has a website at:
https://www.deankoontz.com/

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (7,775 reviews)

Lynn