From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: A question about the big three
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:06:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:06 UTC

When I read SF magazines, F&SF was single column while Asimov's
and Analog were double column. Additionally, some of them broke
stories up within the magazine, presenting the first part of
the stories early in the magazine and later parts towards
the back. Is that still the case?

(I am thinking of reviewing some magazines and am chosing between
epub or paper)

Re: A question about the big three

<robertaw-D7D7B5.22010423072023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90299&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90299

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: A question about the big three
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 22:01:05 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 05:01 UTC

In article <u9jq7m$idl$1@reader2.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> When I read SF magazines, F&SF was single column while Asimov's
> and Analog were double column. Additionally, some of them broke
> stories up within the magazine, presenting the first part of
> the stories early in the magazine and later parts towards
> the back. Is that still the case?
>
> (I am thinking of reviewing some magazines and am chosing between
> epub or paper)

Analog is double column throughout. Asimov's and F&SF are single column
for fiction and double column for features (i.e., book reviews,
editorial, science column, etc.). I don't remember much continuation to
later pages recently. The electronic copies of those magazines that I
have are pretty much replicas of the paper editions (some exceptions,
especially for interior artwork).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: A question about the big three

<u9mfkg$ajl$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90310&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90310

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:24:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:24 UTC

In article <robertaw-D7D7B5.22010423072023@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <u9jq7m$idl$1@reader2.panix.com>,
> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> When I read SF magazines, F&SF was single column while Asimov's
>> and Analog were double column. Additionally, some of them broke
>> stories up within the magazine, presenting the first part of
>> the stories early in the magazine and later parts towards
>> the back. Is that still the case?
>>
>> (I am thinking of reviewing some magazines and am chosing between
>> epub or paper)
>
>Analog is double column throughout. Asimov's and F&SF are single column
>for fiction and double column for features (i.e., book reviews,
>editorial, science column, etc.). I don't remember much continuation to
>later pages recently. The electronic copies of those magazines that I
>have are pretty much replicas of the paper editions (some exceptions,
>especially for interior artwork).

Thank you!