For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

SubjectAuthor
* PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Don
+* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Lynn McGuire
|  `* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Don
|   `- Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Lynn McGuire
`* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Charles Packer
 +* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2pete...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2pete...@gmail.com
 `* Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Don
  `- Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2Robert Carnegie

1
PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<20230731b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90507&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90507

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 02:10:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 02:10 UTC

This Zyklus aggravated Anglo analogs in my mind. The Masters of the
Island (MoI) are almost as brutally greedy as Rhodes Scholars lusting to
spread UK-USA Globalism to the planets. [1] MoI ruthlessly exploit other
people as "cannon-fodder:"

[Pucky] tapped into loudspeakers and revealed to the listening
Duplos that they are nothing more than cannon-fodder to the
Tefroders and Masters.

PR295 "The Lost Planet"

Another allegory apropos to our Zeitgeist:

[Atlan said] "If I am informed correctly, the large interstellar
companies are controlled mainly by the administrators of the
autonomous settlement worlds, therefore by people who have to
decide in the great council on policy and on the Grand
Administrator..."
[Rhodan said] "I have recognized how much democracy is
abused by us and the means by which it happens. And you know
me. You know that I'm familiar with all the shady tricks of
politics at least as well as those people who work for decades
only for their personal benefit."

A detailed synopsis is available at:
<https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Die_Meister_der_Insel_(Zyklus)>
My "out of order" impressions include ideas posited by the story. Both
are randomly recorded below in an attempt to minimize spoilers.

* For a brief moment, the Master of the Island felt something
like melancholy as he called to mind that he, [Miras-Etrin],
no longer possessed any personality in the true sense, but
was simply the embodiment of power, of brutal, monstrous
power.

"Occasionally it gets boring," Miras-Etrin's voice answered.
"One must do something to keep up one's spirit. Fun is one
of the seven life-elixirs. I have rarely had so much pleasure
as I have in the last 50 hours."

* Altan imbibes alcohol before lunch after he figuratively falls off
the wagon when he first falls for Mirona Thetin, "a woman who knows
how to twist the minds of men."

* Pucky's wife Iltu has a baby boy.

* Perry's wife Mory Abro gives birth to twins, a girl and a boy.

* Dualism of spirituality and empiricism: Rhodan's spirituality
complements Atlan's empiricism.

* Dualism of time and space: one can not exist without the other. Motion
in time implies motion in space, and vice versa.

* Dualism of matter and energy.

* A multiplicity of unique, unrelated universes, a supra-cosmos, an
orthogonal multi-verse, where light travels faster than the speed
of light in Einstein space. It's an Electric Universe
<http://www.the-electric-universe.info/welcome.html>
ratcheted up by one dimension.

* Constant motion is a precondition for life itself. Our Sagittarius Arm
rotational speed is 225 Km/s
<https://physicsopenlab.org/2020/09/08/measurement-of-the-milky-way-rotation/>

* All humanoids in both the Milky Way and Andromeda originate with
Lumuria: <http://www.lemuria.net/>

Note.

1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
rectitude, and tact."
- Cecil Rhodes

"I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."
- Cecil Rhodes

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<uaa0q3$3io7u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90509&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90509

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 04:13 UTC

On 7/31/2023 9:10 PM, Don wrote:
> [...]
>
> * Dualism of matter and energy.
>
> * A multiplicity of unique, unrelated universes, a supra-cosmos, an
> orthogonal multi-verse, where light travels faster than the speed
> of light in Einstein space. It's an Electric Universe
> <http://www.the-electric-universe.info/welcome.html>
> ratcheted up by one dimension.
>
> * Constant motion is a precondition for life itself. Our Sagittarius Arm
> rotational speed is 225 Km/s
> <https://physicsopenlab.org/2020/09/08/measurement-of-the-milky-way-rotation/>
>
> * All humanoids in both the Milky Way and Andromeda originate with
> Lumuria: <http://www.lemuria.net/>
>
> Note.
>
> 1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
> rectitude, and tact."
> - Cecil Rhodes
>
> "I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."

Wait, Pucky has a wife ? Human or mouse-beaver ?

I have PRs 69 to 80 sitting on my nightstand with 40+ other books. The
SBR overfloweth.

I am still trying to figure out how to read the epubs and PDFs. Maybe I
will break down and buy a Kindle. My son's paper white Kindle is really
nice. I am assuming that I can copy any old epub onto it. This may not
be a good assumption.
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-adjustable-Ad-Supported/dp/B08KTZ8249

Lynn

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<kirgb5Fd2o0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90511&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90511

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 1 Aug 2023 04:34:45 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 04:34 UTC

In article <uaa0q3$3io7u$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>Wait, Pucky has a wife ? Human or mouse-beaver ?

News to me too, and I read all the way through the Ackermans, including
the floppies.

>I have PRs 69 to 80 sitting on my nightstand with 40+ other books. The
>SBR overfloweth.
>
>I am still trying to figure out how to read the epubs and PDFs. Maybe I
>will break down and buy a Kindle. My son's paper white Kindle is really
>nice. I am assuming that I can copy any old epub onto it. This may not
>be a good assumption.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-adjustable-Ad-Supported/dp/B08KTZ8249

It's a pretty good assumption. Looks like sending an epub attachment to
a kindle email address is now supported, and of course there's always
Calibre=>usb.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<uaa7qn$3jaao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90513&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90513

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 01:13:42 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 06:13 UTC

On 7/31/2023 11:34 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <uaa0q3$3io7u$2@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wait, Pucky has a wife ? Human or mouse-beaver ?
>>

> News to me too, and I read all the way through the Ackermans, including
> the floppies.

Don just read Perry Rhodan #250 to PR #299. Way past the Ackermans
which went through #149 if I understand the skipped books numbering
which I probably don't. Wendy translated PR German to English book #1
through #149 but they skipped about 10 books that Forry did not like.

Perry Rhodan has stories embedded in the main stream of the 6,000 ???
books to date, their numbers are not linear but were published
semirandomly . Don needs to tell us if he read books #250 through #299
or if he skipped around in there.
https://www-perrypedia-de.translate.goog/wiki/Die_6._Epoche?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_hist=true

Lynn

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<_m2yM.162211$xMqa.39462@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90514&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90514

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 07:20:26 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 07:20 UTC

On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 02:10:20 +0000, Don wrote:

> Note.
>
> 1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
> rectitude, and tact."
> - Cecil Rhodes
>
> "I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."
> - Cecil Rhodes

I'm sorry to say that I don't know if this is a joke or not.
Did he really say that?

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<37533c29-ba4e-4b75-b2f4-c644f79eff22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90518&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90518

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 05:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:42 UTC

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 3:20:32 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 02:10:20 +0000, Don wrote:
>
> > Note.
> >
> > 1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
> > rectitude, and tact."
> > - Cecil Rhodes
> >
> > "I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."
> > - Cecil Rhodes
> >
> I'm sorry to say that I don't know if this is a joke or not.
> Did he really say that?

Apparently so. It's completely in character, too. Check out his
other bonnes mots.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/12265-Cecil_Rhodes

"To think of these stars that you see overhead at night,
these vast worlds which we can never reach. I would annex
the planets if I could; I often think of that. It makes me sad
to see them so clear and yet so far."

source cited as: Cecil Rhodes (1902). “The last will and testament
of Cecil John Rhodes: with elucidatory notes to which are added
some chapters describing the political and religious ideas of
the testator”

I confirmed the source and quote on Google advanced book search.

pt

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<d909c415-d43e-4ea7-b9bc-377f71fe3dban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90520&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90520

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 05:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:51 UTC

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 8:42:19 AM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> I confirmed the source and quote on Google advanced book search.
>
> pt

Let me add this map: https://i.redd.it/ytox5qafibfb1.jpg

be sure to read the color key at the bottom.

pt

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<20230801a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90524&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90524

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 13:26:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 13:26 UTC

Charles Packer wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
>> Note.
>>
>> 1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
>> rectitude, and tact."
>> - Cecil Rhodes
>>
>> "I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."
>> - Cecil Rhodes
>>

> I'm sorry to say that I don't know if this is a joke or not.
> Did he really say that?

AFAIK, yes, Rhodes really said it. Isn't it wild?

Rhodes' discusses scholar qualifications with his biographer Stead on
page 38 of _Cecil Rhodes "The Last Will and Testament"_

<https://archive.org/details/lastwilltestamen00rhodiala/page/38/mode/2up>

And Rhodes' enthuses about annexing planets on page 190.

<https://archive.org/details/lastwilltestamen00rhodiala/page/190/mode/2up>

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<20230801b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90533&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90533

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:31:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:31 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Ted Nolan wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>
>>> Wait, Pucky has a wife ? Human or mouse-beaver ?
>>>

>> News to me too, and I read all the way through the Ackermans, including
>> the floppies.
>
> Don just read Perry Rhodan #250 to PR #299. Way past the Ackermans
> which went through #149 if I understand the skipped books numbering
> which I probably don't. Wendy translated PR German to English book #1
> through #149 but they skipped about 10 books that Forry did not like.
>
> Perry Rhodan has stories embedded in the main stream of the 6,000 ???
> books to date, their numbers are not linear but were published
> semirandomly . Don needs to tell us if he read books #250 through #299
> or if he skipped around in there.

Here's everything you need to know about Pucky's mousebeaver wife Iltu:
<https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Iltu> Mousebeaver pups' proclivity to
pop up anywhere due to hyperspace factors can create problems.

My review skips around in an attempt to minimize spoilers with a non-
linear presentation. All novellas from PR250 - PR299 were listened to as
audio books.
These days Moewig numbers are always used by me. The numbers used by
Ackerman's Aces are too confusing. They're yet another example of a
egnimatic encumbrance PR neophytes must overcome as they embark on their
PR journey.
This is the first Zyklus where the overarching story actually begins
with PR200 and ends on PR299 by design.

My intention to tone down my review and avoid an anti-Anglo attitude
didn't happen. It proved too hard for me not to think of the City of
London Corporation whenever "Master(s) of the Island" was mentioned.
Then there's the EIIR analog: Factor I, the Masters' master. For in
the end, even Masters must maintain a pecking order.

You may recall how Walter Ernsting AKA Clark Darlton publicly thanked
Ackerman for a positive testimony in regards to German SF after WWII.
Perhaps UK-USA authorities wanted to nip anti-Anglo archetypes in the
bud. LOL.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<64be5046-ebaa-4131-92c4-2c6c6fe9b7ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90549&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90549

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:17 UTC

On Tuesday, 1 August 2023 at 14:26:41 UTC+1, Don wrote:
> Charles Packer wrote:
> > Don wrote:
> >
> >> Note.
> >>
> >> 1. Character traits desired in a scholar: "smugness, brutality, unctuous
> >> rectitude, and tact."
> >> - Cecil Rhodes
> >>
> >> "I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that."
> >> - Cecil Rhodes
> >>

> > I'm sorry to say that I don't know if this is a joke or not.
> > Did he really say that?
> AFAIK, yes, Rhodes really said it. Isn't it wild?
>
> Rhodes' discusses scholar qualifications with his biographer Stead on
> page 38 of _Cecil Rhodes "The Last Will and Testament"_
>
> <https://archive.org/details/lastwilltestamen00rhodiala/page/38/mode/2up>
>
> And Rhodes' enthuses about annexing planets on page 190.
>
> <https://archive.org/details/lastwilltestamen00rhodiala/page/190/mode/2up>

Without reading that... it reminds me, it may have come
up in this group, of the famous and confusing emotional
response of Alexander the Great to having "no worlds left
to conquer".

<https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2020/03/19/and-alexander-wept/>
if I'm following it, looks in the right places and concludes
that a version where Alexander is unhappy because he's
won and the game is over is at best a misunderstanding
and dating from the 1700s C.E.

The Roman-era Greek historian Plutarch tells instead
that Alexander was upset to be told about an "infinite"
number of worlds - I suppose planets and other
celestial bodies - apparently because it seemed
doubtful that he would manage to conquer all of them.
Conceivably just because he couldn't even reach them.
The thing to keep in mind is that some of Plutarch's
stories also may have not actually happened.

Nevertheless, it sounds like Rhodes wanted to be
an Alexander the Great. What he was is British
Imperialism in human form. That is delusion enough
for one person.

Re: PR250 - PR299 Masters of the Island part 2

<uac2be$3pjsq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=90568&group=rec.arts.sf.written#90568

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:52:29 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:52 UTC

On 8/1/2023 9:31 AM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Ted Nolan wrote:

>>> News to me too, and I read all the way through the Ackermans, including
>>> the floppies.
>>
>> Don just read Perry Rhodan #250 to PR #299. Way past the Ackermans
>> which went through #149 if I understand the skipped books numbering
>> which I probably don't. Wendy translated PR German to English book #1
>> through #149 but they skipped about 10 books that Forry did not like.
>>
>> Perry Rhodan has stories embedded in the main stream of the 6,000 ???
>> books to date, their numbers are not linear but were published
>> semirandomly . Don needs to tell us if he read books #250 through #299
>> or if he skipped around in there.
>
> Here's everything you need to know about Pucky's mousebeaver wife Iltu:
> <https://www.perrypedia.de/wiki/Iltu> Mousebeaver pups' proclivity to
> pop up anywhere due to hyperspace factors can create problems.
>
> My review skips around in an attempt to minimize spoilers with a non-
> linear presentation. All novellas from PR250 - PR299 were listened to as
> audio books.
> These days Moewig numbers are always used by me. The numbers used by
> Ackerman's Aces are too confusing. They're yet another example of a
> egnimatic encumbrance PR neophytes must overcome as they embark on their
> PR journey.
> This is the first Zyklus where the overarching story actually begins
> with PR200 and ends on PR299 by design.
>
> My intention to tone down my review and avoid an anti-Anglo attitude
> didn't happen. It proved too hard for me not to think of the City of
> London Corporation whenever "Master(s) of the Island" was mentioned.
> Then there's the EIIR analog: Factor I, the Masters' master. For in
> the end, even Masters must maintain a pecking order.
>
> You may recall how Walter Ernsting AKA Clark Darlton publicly thanked
> Ackerman for a positive testimony in regards to German SF after WWII.
> Perhaps UK-USA authorities wanted to nip anti-Anglo archetypes in the
> bud. LOL.
>
> Danke,

I look forward to reading the Perry Rhodan 2xx series books in the future.

Bitteschön,
Lynn