From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Upgrade: A Novel" by Blake Crouch
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:23:28 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:23 UTC

"Upgrade: A Novel" by Blake Crouch
https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Novel-Blake-Crouch/dp/0593157524/

A standalone science fiction novel, no sequel or prequel. I read the
well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Ballantine
Books in 2023 that I bought new from Amazon.

Logan Ramsay is a field agent for the GPA, the American Gene Protection
Agency. Son of the infamous Myriam Ramsay whose gene manipulations of
the rice crops in China killed 200 million people through starvation,
gene manipulations are now outlawed across the entire planet. Logan is
a geneticist and worked with his mother when she invented the easy to
use and build Scythe, the gene editing toolset. His mother committed
suicide several years back after the effects of The Great Starvation.

On a mission to shut down a dark gene lab, Logan is attacked with an ice
bomb. After the bomb goes off, he runs a fever for the next few days
and notices that he is changing. Logan has been upgraded.

Would you be willing to be upgraded if the failure rate of 15% would
turn you into a gibbering idiot ?

The author has a website at:
https://blakecrouch.com/

Steven Spielberg has bought the movie rights to this book and the author
is writing the screenplay.
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/blake-crouch-upgrade-interview

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars (10,526 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Upgrade: A Novel" by Blake Crouch

<ue04gv$2sto6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91599&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91599

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Upgrade: A Novel" by Blake Crouch
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:21:06 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 23:21 UTC

On 9/14/2023 3:23 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Upgrade: A Novel" by Blake Crouch
>    https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Novel-Blake-Crouch/dp/0593157524/
>
> A standalone science fiction novel, no sequel or prequel.  I read the
> well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Ballantine
> Books in 2023 that I bought new from Amazon.
>
> Logan Ramsay is a field agent for the GPA, the American Gene Protection
> Agency.  Son of the infamous Myriam Ramsay whose gene manipulations of
> the rice crops in China killed 200 million people through starvation,
> gene manipulations are now outlawed across the entire planet.  Logan is
> a geneticist and worked with his mother when she invented the easy to
> use and build Scythe, the gene editing toolset.  His mother committed
> suicide several years back after the effects of The Great Starvation.
>
> On a mission to shut down a dark gene lab, Logan is attacked with an ice
> bomb.  After the bomb goes off, he runs a fever for the next few days
> and notices that he is changing.  Logan has been upgraded.
>
> Would you be willing to be upgraded if the failure rate of 15% would
> turn you into a gibbering idiot ?

One could argue that is a lower failure rate than natural child birth....

dirty old man.