The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

arts / rec.arts.comics.strips / Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!David Haldane
+* Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!M N
|`* Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!John W Kennedy
| `* Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!Pluted Pup
|  `- Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!John W Kennedy
`- Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!Lynn McGuire

1
Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<75584e44-b7d9-4be8-8f9c-542a8799eb9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9167&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#9167

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 14:43:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!
From: d.d.hald...@gmail.com (David Haldane)
 by: David Haldane - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 22:43 UTC

On Thursday, August 10, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Colin Campbell wrote:
> San Jose Mercury News, August 9:
> CREATOR OF SATIRICAL 'DILBERT' DISCONNECTED BY PAC BELL
> Irreverent comic strip chronicles misadventures in workplace
> BERKELEY (AP) Scott Adams, creator of the irreverent workplace comic
> strip "Dilbert," has lost his day job.
> Adams said Tuesday he and Pacific Bell parted company June 30.
> "They asked me to leave, and I did," he said simply.
> Pacific Bell officials did not return a call seeking comment.
> The cartoonist said he was told that he was being let go because of
> budget constraints. He does not know whether his strip satirizing
> management idiosyncrasies--and idiocies--played a role.
> "I can't read minds, so your guess is as good as mine--why would I doubt
> them?" he said in a phone interview from his home in Dublin.
> Still, he said his role as management gadfly can't be discounted as a
> factor.
> Adams' daily comic strip chronicles long-suffering Dilbert's
> misadventures at the hands of witless supervisors, experiences that have
> struck a chord with many a cubicle-dweller.
> Adams, who communicates with readers via electronic mail, says he
> receives hundreds of missives from disgruntled workers, many of which
> provide fodder for the strip.
> In December, Adams did an e-mail survey of "The Top Tenn Most Irritating
> Business Trends of 1994." Working with and for dummies were the top two.
> An applications engineer, Adams had worked for Pacific Bell for nine
> years. "Dilbert" premiered in 1989.
> Adams had worked for a boss who thought Dilbert was funny, but he
> recently got a new supervisor, one who came in at a time when money was
> tight.
> Adams said losing the job won't close his window on the workplace.
> "I really hadn't used Pacific Bell as a source for a couple of years," he
> said. "I get almost all of my inspiration from the Internet."
> But, even though he said Dilbert now appears in about 500
> newspapers,there was some separation anxiety for a man who had earned a
> regular paycheck "probably since I was 16."
> So will Dilbert suffer the same corporate karma as his creator?
> "I can't rule that out," Adams said.
> Despite the awkwardness of being given the push, Adams said the parting
> was civil.
> "The only issue was that my boss pleaded with me not to introduce a
> character with a beard," he said.
> Fat chance.
> "I'm working on it," Adams said.

Per his tweet today, he was fired for being racist. https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<2ae736ac-ce5b-421b-bf37-d64fb0ca8be5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10013&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10013

Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaeln...@gmail.com (M N)
 by: M N - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:07 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 5:43:59 PM UTC-5, David Haldane wrote:
> On Thursday, August 10, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Colin Campbell wrote:
> > San Jose Mercury News, August 9:
> > CREATOR OF SATIRICAL 'DILBERT' DISCONNECTED BY PAC BELL
> > Irreverent comic strip chronicles misadventures in workplace
> > BERKELEY (AP) Scott Adams, creator of the irreverent workplace comic
> > strip "Dilbert," has lost his day job.
> > Adams said Tuesday he and Pacific Bell parted company June 30.
> > "They asked me to leave, and I did," he said simply.
> > Pacific Bell officials did not return a call seeking comment.
> > The cartoonist said he was told that he was being let go because of
> > budget constraints. He does not know whether his strip satirizing
> > management idiosyncrasies--and idiocies--played a role.
> > "I can't read minds, so your guess is as good as mine--why would I doubt
> > them?" he said in a phone interview from his home in Dublin.
> > Still, he said his role as management gadfly can't be discounted as a
> > factor.
> > Adams' daily comic strip chronicles long-suffering Dilbert's
> > misadventures at the hands of witless supervisors, experiences that have
> > struck a chord with many a cubicle-dweller.
> > Adams, who communicates with readers via electronic mail, says he
> > receives hundreds of missives from disgruntled workers, many of which
> > provide fodder for the strip.
> > In December, Adams did an e-mail survey of "The Top Tenn Most Irritating
> > Business Trends of 1994." Working with and for dummies were the top two..
> > An applications engineer, Adams had worked for Pacific Bell for nine
> > years. "Dilbert" premiered in 1989.
> > Adams had worked for a boss who thought Dilbert was funny, but he
> > recently got a new supervisor, one who came in at a time when money was
> > tight.
> > Adams said losing the job won't close his window on the workplace.
> > "I really hadn't used Pacific Bell as a source for a couple of years," he
> > said. "I get almost all of my inspiration from the Internet."
> > But, even though he said Dilbert now appears in about 500
> > newspapers,there was some separation anxiety for a man who had earned a
> > regular paycheck "probably since I was 16."
> > So will Dilbert suffer the same corporate karma as his creator?
> > "I can't rule that out," Adams said.
> > Despite the awkwardness of being given the push, Adams said the parting
> > was civil.
> > "The only issue was that my boss pleaded with me not to introduce a
> > character with a beard," he said.
> > Fat chance.
> > "I'm working on it," Adams said.
>

> Per his tweet today, he was fired for being racist. https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

Browsing the archive I'm shocked to see someone reviving the conversation 30 years later. Heh ok I'll play too.

I don't think Scott is saying he was fired for being racist, I think he's meaning he was fired by a white person for being white. It's some veiled dig at affirmative action or something like that Scott is often dodgy and vague in his communications. Also lol at Scott Adams identifying as black, yeah I can just see this middle manager wanabee pale as a sheet and raised in an almost all white town in the northeast identifying with black culture.

I think Scott was just part of a downsizing operation, particularly if he was part of pacbell's ISDN group, by 1995 analog modems were pretty fast and DSL was on the horizon. There were murmurs of cable internet. Shrinking that group would have made a lot of sense. Make no mistake I have no doubt that Scott Adams is capable of making racist statements of the sort that get people fired as demonstrated by the mass cancellation of his strip.

Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<GxednSU3P7HxCHv5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10018&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10018

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:25:32 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
From: john.w.k...@gmail.com (John W Kennedy)
 by: John W Kennedy - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:25 UTC

On 8/23/23 12:07 PM, M N wrote:
> [...]
>
> I think Scott was just part of a downsizing operation, particularly if he was part of pacbell's ISDN group, by 1995 analog modems were pretty fast and DSL was on the horizon. There were murmurs of cable internet. Shrinking that group would have made a lot of sense. Make no mistake I have no doubt that Scott Adams is capable of making racist statements of the sort that get people fired as demonstrated by the mass cancellation of his strip.

I seem to recall him touting ISDN as the Wave of the Future back then.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<0001HW.2AB2675400225CA030EA0F38F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10090&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10090

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:55:32 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
 by: Pluted Pup - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:55 UTC

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:25:32 -0700, John W Kennedy wrote:

> On 8/23/23 12:07 PM, M N wrote:
> > >

> > > Per his tweet today, he was fired for being racist. https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

So quote the twitter! You can't depend on third parties
to keep their posts available for others to see, so
to quote the tweet: (do you think he's serious and do
you read enough Dilbert?):

> > > https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

I've lost three careers to direct racism so far. Crocker Bank, Pacific Bell, and cartooning.

All three were perpetrated by White people for their own gain.

No Black person has ever discriminated against me. That's partly why I identified as Black for several years.

> > Browsing the archive I'm shocked to see someone reviving the conversation 30 years later. Heh ok I'll play too.
> >
> > I don't think Scott is saying he was fired for being racist, I think he's meaning he was fired by a white person for being white. It's some veiled dig at affirmative action or something like that Scott is often dodgy and vague in his communications. Also lol at Scott Adams identifying as black, yeah I can just see this middle manager wanabee pale as a sheet and raised in an almost all white town in the northeast identifying with black culture.
> >
> > I think Scott was just part of a downsizing operation, particularly if he was part of pacbell's ISDN group, by 1995 analog modems were pretty fast and DSL was on the horizon. There were murmurs of cable internet. Shrinking that group would have made a lot of sense. Make no mistake I have no doubt that Scott Adams is capable of making racist statements of the sort that get people fired as demonstrated by the mass cancellation of his strip.
>
> I seem to recall him touting ISDN as the Wave of the Future back then.

I just read his ISDN installation strips from 1997, where
Dilbert is thrilled to have 128 kps internet, from
the now banned book Journey to Cubeville.

Which do you think is better: 28 kbs or 128 kbs?

Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<6JmdnXbwfalH1p_4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10091&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10091

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:55:06 -0400
From: john.w.k...@gmail.com (John W Kennedy)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
 by: John W Kennedy - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 23:55 UTC

On 9/13/23 5:55 PM, Pluted Pup wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:25:32 -0700, John W Kennedy wrote:

> So quote the twitter! You can't depend on third parties
> to keep their posts available for others to see, so
> to quote the tweet: (do you think he's serious and do
> you read enough Dilbert?):

> I've lost three careers to direct racism so far. Crocker Bank, Pacific Bell, and cartooning.
>
> All three were perpetrated by White people for their own gain.
>
> No Black person has ever discriminated against me. That's partly why I identified as Black for several years.
>

>>> Browsing the archive I'm shocked to see someone reviving the conversation 30 years later. Heh ok I'll play too.
>>>
>>> I don't think Scott is saying he was fired for being racist, I think he's meaning he was fired by a white person for being white. It's some veiled dig at affirmative action or something like that Scott is often dodgy and vague in his communications. Also lol at Scott Adams identifying as black, yeah I can just see this middle manager wanabee pale as a sheet and raised in an almost all white town in the northeast identifying with black culture.
>>>
>>> I think Scott was just part of a downsizing operation, particularly if he was part of pacbell's ISDN group, by 1995 analog modems were pretty fast and DSL was on the horizon. There were murmurs of cable internet. Shrinking that group would have made a lot of sense. Make no mistake I have no doubt that Scott Adams is capable of making racist statements of the sort that get people fired as demonstrated by the mass cancellation of his strip.
>>
>> I seem to recall him touting ISDN as the Wave of the Future back then.
>
> I just read his ISDN installation strips from 1997, where
> Dilbert is thrilled to have 128 kps internet, from
> the now banned book Journey to Cubeville.
>
> Which do you think is better: 28 kbs or 128 kbs?

I meant outside the strip—in a newsletter, or the front matter of a
book. He was arguing that telcos were more experienced at multipoint
half-duplex than cable companies, who knew only how to do simplex, and
that, therefore, ISDN would get the job done better. In the event, of
course, ISDN pretty much laid an egg; even telcos were soon switching to
DSL. (I personally went with my cable company because my block—only my
block—was, for no stated reason, excluded from Verizon DSL service, so
when Optimum drove a truck down the street handing out do-it-yourself
broadband Internet to all their existing cable customers, I jumped at it.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,
King Pellinore, Captain Bailey, Merlin -- A Kingdom for a Stage!

Re: Scott Adams fired from Pacific Bell!!!!!

<ue2ju1$3e0r8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=10098&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#10098

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:56:17 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:56 UTC

On 2/27/2023 4:43 PM, David Haldane wrote:
> On Thursday, August 10, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Colin Campbell wrote:
>> San Jose Mercury News, August 9:
>> CREATOR OF SATIRICAL 'DILBERT' DISCONNECTED BY PAC BELL
>> Irreverent comic strip chronicles misadventures in workplace
>> BERKELEY (AP) Scott Adams, creator of the irreverent workplace comic
>> strip "Dilbert," has lost his day job.
>> Adams said Tuesday he and Pacific Bell parted company June 30.
>> "They asked me to leave, and I did," he said simply.
>> Pacific Bell officials did not return a call seeking comment.
>> The cartoonist said he was told that he was being let go because of
>> budget constraints. He does not know whether his strip satirizing
>> management idiosyncrasies--and idiocies--played a role.
>> "I can't read minds, so your guess is as good as mine--why would I doubt
>> them?" he said in a phone interview from his home in Dublin.
>> Still, he said his role as management gadfly can't be discounted as a
>> factor.
>> Adams' daily comic strip chronicles long-suffering Dilbert's
>> misadventures at the hands of witless supervisors, experiences that have
>> struck a chord with many a cubicle-dweller.
>> Adams, who communicates with readers via electronic mail, says he
>> receives hundreds of missives from disgruntled workers, many of which
>> provide fodder for the strip.
>> In December, Adams did an e-mail survey of "The Top Tenn Most Irritating
>> Business Trends of 1994." Working with and for dummies were the top two.
>> An applications engineer, Adams had worked for Pacific Bell for nine
>> years. "Dilbert" premiered in 1989.
>> Adams had worked for a boss who thought Dilbert was funny, but he
>> recently got a new supervisor, one who came in at a time when money was
>> tight.
>> Adams said losing the job won't close his window on the workplace.
>> "I really hadn't used Pacific Bell as a source for a couple of years," he
>> said. "I get almost all of my inspiration from the Internet."
>> But, even though he said Dilbert now appears in about 500
>> newspapers,there was some separation anxiety for a man who had earned a
>> regular paycheck "probably since I was 16."
>> So will Dilbert suffer the same corporate karma as his creator?
>> "I can't rule that out," Adams said.
>> Despite the awkwardness of being given the push, Adams said the parting
>> was civil.
>> "The only issue was that my boss pleaded with me not to introduce a
>> character with a beard," he said.
>> Fat chance.
>> "I'm working on it," Adams said.
>

> Per his tweet today, he was fired for being racist. https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1630186244327227393

Not the most necro reply that I have seen but, definitely up in the top ten.

Lynn