If wishes were horses, then beggars would be thieves.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

SubjectAuthor
* "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelThomas Koenig
 +- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelScott Dorsey
 +* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDimensional Traveler
 |`* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
 | `- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDimensional Traveler
 `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDefault User
  `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
   `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelChristian Weisgerber
    +* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
    |`* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelScott Lurndal
    | `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
    |  `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelPaul S Person
    |   `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDorothy J Heydt
    |    `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelPaul S Person
    |     +- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandelted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
    |     +* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelScott Dorsey
    |     |`- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelLynn McGuire
    |     `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDorothy J Heydt
    |      `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelPaul S Person
    |       +* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDorothy J Heydt
    |       |`* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandelpete...@gmail.com
    |       | `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelJay E. Morris
    |       |  `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandelted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
    |       |   +- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandelted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
    |       |   `- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelDorothy J Heydt
    |       `* Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelRobert Carnegie
    |        `- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelPaul S Person
    `- Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John MandelChristian Weisgerber

Pages:12
Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

<kmsga8Fae8pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91705&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91705

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel
Date: 19 Sep 2023 02:45:29 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 02:45 UTC

In article <kmsg7gFae8pU1@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <ueb04g$25k2t$1@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
>Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:

>>> The 'Foxfire' series may be helpful. Basically, they contain information
>>> for homesteading at a mid-19th century tech level.
>>>
>>> pt
>>
>>Lots of survival books out there, like "How to Stay Alive in the Woods:
>>A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere".
>>
>>I wouldn't suggest the kindle version though.
>
>"Chapter 5: How to strike a spark from flint with your e-reader."
>--
>columbiaclosings.com
>What's not in Columbia anymore..

Dang it! Missed the obvious "kindle" joke!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

<s17srA.1BsA@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91707&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91707

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 04:06:46 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 04:06 UTC

In article <kmsg7gFae8pU1@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <ueb04g$25k2t$1@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
>Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:

>>> The 'Foxfire' series may be helpful. Basically, they contain information
>>> for homesteading at a mid-19th century tech level.
>>>
>>> pt
>>
>>Lots of survival books out there, like "How to Stay Alive in the Woods:
>>A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere".
>>
>>I wouldn't suggest the kindle version though.
>
>"Chapter 5: How to strike a spark from flint with your e-reader."

[Hal Heydt]
Against the time it will take to find a decent flint supply,
stock up on mag blocks ahead of time.

Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

<86b42f7d-7c98-4112-b0f6-f8921d6fff9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91795&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91795

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:36 UTC

On Monday, 18 September 2023 at 17:05:04 UTC+1, Paul S Person wrote:
> I've always felt that an organized group of survivors would be
> well-advised to raid libraries and book stores for books on ancient
> tech: animal tracking/killing/cooking, log cabin (or other pre-modern
> forms of buildings) construction, forging tools, making pottery, using
> plows, animal husbandry, veggie/herb gardens, wind/water mills with
> the energy converted from circular to linear motion -- stuff like
> that.

/Raiding/ libraries? I guess for you, when civilization
falls over, it's /over/. :-(

And, yeah, the membership records were on computer.
But, even so!

Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

<u9brgih38l58a67smotqpju7qj1ivvtlpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91821&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91821

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:15:49 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:15 UTC

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:36:31 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 18 September 2023 at 17:05:04 UTC+1, Paul S Person wrote:
>> I've always felt that an organized group of survivors would be
>> well-advised to raid libraries and book stores for books on ancient
>> tech: animal tracking/killing/cooking, log cabin (or other pre-modern
>> forms of buildings) construction, forging tools, making pottery, using
>> plows, animal husbandry, veggie/herb gardens, wind/water mills with
>> the energy converted from circular to linear motion -- stuff like
>> that.
>
>/Raiding/ libraries? I guess for you, when civilization
>falls over, it's /over/. :-(
>
>And, yeah, the membership records were on computer.
>But, even so!

Yes, raiding libraries/book stores for useful books. Before the mice
and insects eat them all. Books don't last forever, even when
protected. And these won't be protected at all.

I suppose a group here or there might be large enough and situated
well enough to incorporate a library into the area they control. And
find some cats to chase off the mice, at least.

And, as others have pointed out, other skills (shearing carding,
dyeing, spinning, weaving, cutting to make homespun clothes) could
also be added. Provided there were sheep, goats, silk worms, flax, or
other fibrous plants available, of course.

The question is, how much work and knowledge would it take for a
community to reach a reasonable standard of living -- say, that of
Rome in the 1st century AD. As opposed to dwelling in caves wrapped in
ill-cured animal skins with keeping the fire going your number one
concern.

Curing/cutting/sewing/otherwise preparing animal skins would, of
course, be another field of interest.

So /many/ things to relearn. So little time before the snow falls. Or
the raiders appear to take everything you have.

What, you think that, after the great disaster, you'll just go to the
mall and stock up? Maybe once, before it's completely looted.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel