From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:05:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:05 UTC

Bedlam Planet by John Brunner

Humanity's first colony on an alien planet faces a dilemma: go mad
or die of scurvy?

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/our-separate-ways

Re: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner

<slrnuh5v8n.1jh3.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91967&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91967

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

On 2023-09-26, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Bedlam Planet by John Brunner
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/our-separate-ways

| Another comparison that comes to mind is Brian Stableford’s
| Daedalus Mission series, which ran from 1976 to 1979. Like the
| Daedalus Mission books, the evidence strongly suggests that this
| was a premature colonization effort.

Something of a popular theme at the time? Niven did this, too.
The rambot probes find a habitable world, colonists arrive on
a one-way trip and discover that there are caveats to the "habitable"
part: Plateau, where only a mountain top has a climate that can support
humans; We Made It, where enormously strong winds render the surface
uninhabitable for part of the year, IIRC.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner

<uev5qt$9id$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91968&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91968

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:53:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:53 UTC

In article <slrnuh5v8n.1jh3.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2023-09-26, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Bedlam Planet by John Brunner
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/our-separate-ways
>
>| Another comparison that comes to mind is Brian Stableford’s
>| Daedalus Mission series, which ran from 1976 to 1979. Like the
>| Daedalus Mission books, the evidence strongly suggests that this
>| was a premature colonization effort.
>
>Something of a popular theme at the time? Niven did this, too.
>The rambot probes find a habitable world, colonists arrive on
>a one-way trip and discover that there are caveats to the "habitable"
>part: Plateau, where only a mountain top has a climate that can support
>humans; We Made It, where enormously strong winds render the surface
>uninhabitable for part of the year, IIRC.

In this case, a four person crew lived on the planet for six months.
No surprises like the ones waiting at Jinx and so on. Just subtle
surprises that six months isn't long enough to reveal.

Re: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner

<m28r8s4l7y.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91981&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91981

From: spcol...@omcl.org (Steve Coltrin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:34:57 -0600
 by: Steve Coltrin - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:34 UTC

begin fnord
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> writes:

> Something of a popular theme at the time? Niven did this, too.
> The rambot probes find a habitable world, colonists arrive on
> a one-way trip and discover that there are caveats to the "habitable"
> part: Plateau, where only a mountain top has a climate that can support
> humans; We Made It, where enormously strong winds render the surface
> uninhabitable for part of the year, IIRC.

Yep, similarly Jinx was vacuum at the poles, sub-Venus with sapient
monsters at the equator. Home was doomed for plot reasons but the probe
couldn't detect that. Wunderland appears to have been just right.

--
Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Re: Bedlam Planet by John Brunner

<39226b06-97b3-493d-805c-dd3cb935daa4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=91997&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91997

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 07:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 14:24 UTC

On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 6:35:10 PM UTC-4, Steve Coltrin wrote:
> begin fnord
> Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> writes:
>
> > Something of a popular theme at the time? Niven did this, too.
> > The rambot probes find a habitable world, colonists arrive on
> > a one-way trip and discover that there are caveats to the "habitable"
> > part: Plateau, where only a mountain top has a climate that can support
> > humans; We Made It, where enormously strong winds render the surface
> > uninhabitable for part of the year, IIRC.
> Yep, similarly Jinx was vacuum at the poles, sub-Venus with sapient
> monsters at the equator. Home was doomed for plot reasons but the probe
> couldn't detect that. Wunderland appears to have been just right.

Niven stipulated unmanned probes that were sent to look for 'habitable'
planets. But they could only send one single bit of information back: 'habitable'
or 'uninhabitable'.

pt