Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 07:06:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Curtis - March 1st - on instrumental pop tunes
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:06 UTC

https://comicskingdom.com/curtis/2023-03-01

What caught my eye was a couple of comments:

Ignatz
1 day ago
"Instrumental hits appear to be a thing of the past. "Classical Gas," "Wipe-Out," "Walk Don't Run," "Green Onions," "Frankenstein," "Outa-space." Disco had a few, like TSOP and Love's Theme.

"I suspect that some corporate suit has decreed that there shall be no more.."

Romana Marlowe
1 day ago
"Another 70s instrumental I liked is "Space Race" by Billy Preston."

I always love it when I FINALLY learn the titles of familiar musical pieces! There were four that I only recognized once I listened to them - but I already knew the Ventures' instrumentals by name. ("Yakety Sax" also got mentioned - I didn't know that one had a name separate from Benny Hill!)

But I don't think I ever heard those two "Space" instrumentals. (I checked them out on YouTube.)

Interestingly, "Love's Theme," from 1973 (and I recognized it when I heard it), sounds remarkably like "Dance With Me" by Orleans - released the same year!

But who knows which came first.

Re: Curtis - March 1st - on instrumental pop tunes

<prGdnd_kNvGFv5z5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9207&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#9207

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:24:23 -0500
From: john.w.k...@gmail.com (John W Kennedy)
Subject: Re: Curtis - March 1st - on instrumental pop tunes
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
 by: John W Kennedy - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:24 UTC

On 3/2/23 10:06 AM, Lenona wrote:
> https://comicskingdom.com/curtis/2023-03-01
>
> What caught my eye was a couple of comments:
>
> Ignatz
> 1 day ago
> "Instrumental hits appear to be a thing of the past. "Classical Gas," "Wipe-Out," "Walk Don't Run," "Green Onions," "Frankenstein," "Outa-space." Disco had a few, like TSOP and Love's Theme.
>
> "I suspect that some corporate suit has decreed that there shall be no more."
>
> Romana Marlowe
> 1 day ago
> "Another 70s instrumental I liked is "Space Race" by Billy Preston."
>
> I always love it when I FINALLY learn the titles of familiar musical pieces! There were four that I only recognized once I listened to them - but I already knew the Ventures' instrumentals by name. ("Yakety Sax" also got mentioned - I didn't know that one had a name separate from Benny Hill!)

And one of the main themes in “Yakety Sax” is taken from “Entrance of
the Gladiators” by Julius Fučik, which, before that, was called “Grande
Marche Chromatique”. Whole lotta titles for one tune.

> But I don't think I ever heard those two "Space" instrumentals. (I checked them out on YouTube.)
>
> Interestingly, "Love's Theme," from 1973 (and I recognized it when I heard it), sounds remarkably like "Dance With Me" by Orleans - released the same year!
>
> But who knows which came first.

The earliest release of “Love’s Theme” was 1973; the earliest release of
“Dance With Me” was 1974. But I really don’t think there’s a connection;
the similarity is slight, and the musical thinking behind them is quite
different.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,