Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"Benjamin Decker
`- Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"Jack Bohn

1
Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"

<d4b47725-e72f-4710-80e6-23d527e79661n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92645&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92645

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"
From: benjamin...@gmail.com (Benjamin Decker)
 by: Benjamin Decker - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:14 UTC

> Later in the series, I started noticing the patterns of South American and
> prehistoric animals, Greek government and military organization, etc. and
> started writing down words that fit the pattern even if I knew them,
> looking toward a potential bestiary or some such. I also wrote down words
> that were too cool to not include, even if I knew them.

Wow now, 24 years later, it took me only 50 pages to realize the Greek/Byzantine military/government structure and south american prehistoric fauna. That is because I read it on an iPad and could look up all the words while reading with the build in lexicon. Man, post modern reference is kinda boring when you can look up almost everything. The books loose a lot of mystique through this.
Gurps had role playing books for Book of the new Sun in the 80's. Bet there is some bestiary in there:)

Re: Gene Wolfe's "Book Of The New Sun"

<16fd7793-6b3f-425c-8fb8-8cae3ec50bdcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92659&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92659

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

Benjamin Decker wrote:
> > Later in the series, I started noticing the patterns of South American and
> > prehistoric animals, Greek government and military organization, etc. and
> > started writing down words that fit the pattern even if I knew them,
> > looking toward a potential bestiary or some such. I also wrote down words
> > that were too cool to not include, even if I knew them.
>
> Wow now, 24 years later, it took me only 50 pages to realize the Greek/Byzantine military/government structure and south american prehistoric fauna. That is because I read it on an iPad and could look up all the words while reading with the build in lexicon. Man, post modern reference is kinda boring when you can look up almost everything. The books loose a lot of mystique through this.
> Gurps had role playing books for Book of the new Sun in the 80's. Bet there is some bestiary in there:)

Not quite a total change in society, I remember reading with my brother's big Oxford English Dictionary beside me balanced on the arm of the couch. I also remember reading with a slip of paper on which I would write the words to look up, I suppose my brother's status as a dictionary owner changed while the books were coming out. I am slow, though. It wasn't until references to going north to the warmer climate piled up that I noticed.

Does each book still come with an author's afterward? In one he mentioned touring buildings that will survive futurity.

--
-Jack