From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Spacetime War" by Les Johnson
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:55:19 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:55 UTC

"The Spacetime War" by Les Johnson
https://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-War-Johnson/dp/1982192208/

A standalone military science fiction book. I read the well printed and
well bound MMPB published by Baen in 2022.

Several hundred years from now, people from Earth have colonized the
entire Solar System and several other star systems using the Hawking FTL
Translation Drive. The Hawking Drive must be five astronomical units
from the local star in order to work properly. But in some rare unknown
circumstances, the drive does not work properly and the space ships are
lost.

Somebody has built a number of militarized space warships and is
destroying colony planets in star systems outside the Solar System using
large nuclear weapons. At first these were thought to be pirates but
then their numbers increased as to be able to fight off the space
warships of Terra. Some tough decisions have to be made on how to fight
off the unknown warships.

Very nice universe building for the author who credits Sarah Hoyt for
helping him to design the universe. And the AIs on the space ships is
just what I envision for long term AI development, a helper, not a
master. A very good book from the NASA space scientist.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (28 ratings)

Lynn