Reality is nothing but a collective hunch. -- Lily Tomlin

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?

SubjectAuthor
* "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?Lenona
`* Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?Don
 `* Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?Don
  `- Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?pete...@gmail.com

1
"Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?

<0f3bac9d-3602-4958-bfdb-dd12c8d669aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92481&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92481

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:42 UTC

Just found it.

Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?

<20231018a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92487&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92487

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 04:32:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 04:32 UTC

Lenona wrote:
> Just found it.

Thank you for sharing. But it's not been read by me - yet.
Nonetheless, "Alice in Quantumland" promises to provide a pertinent
path from _Atlas Shrugged (my current book) to Schantz's _Hidden Truth_
trilogy. (Till _Truth_ tetralogically transmogrifies with the addition
of a fourth novel in the near future.)
FWIW, my current place in _Shrugged_'s sometime shortly after July
in the year 40, when the first public demonstration of Project X takes
place. <https://www.atlassociety.org/post/atlas-shrugged-timeline>

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?

<20231028a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92772&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92772

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:51:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:51 UTC

Don wrote:
> Lenona wrote:
>> Just found it.
>
> Thank you for sharing. But it's not been read by me - yet.
> Nonetheless, "Alice in Quantumland" promises to provide a pertinent
> path from _Atlas Shrugged (my current book) to Schantz's _Hidden Truth_
> trilogy. (Till _Truth_ tetralogically transmogrifies with the addition
> of a fourth novel in the near future.)

<snip>

This is a perfect physics particle prelude to the Schantz. Is Alice an
allegory for Alix - the first word in
_QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter_ (Feynman)?

Introduction

Alix Mautner was very curious about physics and often asked me
to explain things to her. I would do all right, just as I do
with a group of students at Caltech that come to me for an
hour on Thursdays, but eventually I'd fail at what is to me
the most interesting part: We would always get hung up on the
crazy ideas of quantum mechanics. I told her I couldn't
explain these ideas in an hour or an evening-it would take a
long time-but I promised her that someday I'd prepare a set of
lectures on the subject.

The _Hidden Truth_ commences with a touch of alt-history to set the
stage:

My father remembered as a boy in elementary school hearing
that President Kennedy was assassinated. For my generation, I
suppose the equivalent moment was that terrible day, September
11, 2001, sitting in class and watching the images of the jet
plane crashing into the Capitol building, with the pillar of
smoke from the still burning White House in the background.
Everyone wondered what it all meant. Then a few days later,
everyone was watching as newly sworn in President Lieberman
vowed "never again," pledged to wipe out the terrorists'
Afghan training camps, and promised to bring their Saudi
backers to justice.

All of the above is merely plausible deniability in the manner of
Serling. Heaven forbid Schantz implicate anyone in real life.
Maxwell's _A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism_ sits at the
Hidden Truth's heart. Maxwell acknowledges both inductive and deductive
reasoning, then chooses the latter to expound upon. He suggests
"Galvanismus und Elektromagnetismus" (Wiedemann) to students interested
in an inductive interpretation:

<https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_hwkreP-553UC/mode/2up>

Schantz describes the triology's conspiracy in the afterword of its
first novel:

The scientific conspiracy depicted in The Hidden Truth draws
on the real-life drama of the discovery of electromagnetics.
Paul J. Nahin's Oliver Heaviside: Sage in Solitude: The Life,
Work, and Times of an Electrical Genius of the Victorian Age
and his later Oliver Heaviside: The Life, Work, and Times of
an Electrical Genius of the Victorian Age (same story, but
revised and extended a bit) go into Heaviside's life and work
in excellent detail. Did Heaviside really discover the concept
of electromagnetic waves bouncing from each other? It's a
natural extension of the work he described in his 1912
Electromagnetic Theory, volume 3.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: "Alice in Quantumland" - has anyone read it?

<05437362-5c3a-4dd8-b6b9-1131601b11f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92799&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92799

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 05:31:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:31 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 12:51:33 PM UTC-4, Don wrote:
> [...]
> "Galvanismus und Elektromagnetismus" (Wiedemann) to students interested
> in an inductive interpretation:
>
> <https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_hwkreP-553UC/mode/2up>
>
> Schantz describes the triology's conspiracy in the afterword of its
> first novel:
>
> The scientific conspiracy depicted in The Hidden Truth draws
> on the real-life drama of the discovery of electromagnetics.
> Paul J. Nahin's Oliver Heaviside: Sage in Solitude: The Life,
> Work, and Times of an Electrical Genius of the Victorian Age
> and his later Oliver Heaviside: The Life, Work, and Times of
> an Electrical Genius of the Victorian Age (same story, but
> revised and extended a bit) go into Heaviside's life and work
> in excellent detail. Did Heaviside really discover the concept
> of electromagnetic waves bouncing from each other? It's a
> natural extension of the work he described in his 1912

Oliver Heaviside is a largely unsung genius. Its worth reading his
Wikipedia article, the man touched much that makes modern
communications and physics.

Example: He simplified Maxwell's equations down from 30-odd
to the 4 we are taught today.

I'd certainly known the name most of my life, in reference to the
upper atmospheric layer that enables long distance shortwave
communications, but I suspect for most people, the only time
they've heard it is in a opaque lyric in 'Cats'.

pt