Latin is a language, As dead as can be. First it killed the Romans, And now it's killing me.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

SubjectAuthor
* _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloRobert Woodward
+* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holopete...@gmail.com
|`* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloScott Lurndal
| +* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloLynn McGuire
| |`* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloDimensional Traveler
| | `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloJames Nicoll
| |  `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloDimensional Traveler
| |   `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloJames Nicoll
| |    `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloRobert Woodward
| |     `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloPaul S Person
| |      `* Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloLynn McGuire
| |       `- Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloPaul S Person
| `- Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloRobert Woodward
`- Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob HoloRobert Carnegie

1
_The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<robertaw-BE6551.21412821112023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93738&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93738

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:41:28 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:41 UTC

This, the 3rd book with Isaac Cho and Susan Cantrell, is by Jacob Holo
alone (possibly because there is no time travel in it). It takes place
about 2 weeks after the end of _The Janus file_ (and thus months before
_The Weltall File_).

In the prologue, we witness the suicide of Esteban Velasco, a senior
engineer for the Saturn based firm (Atlas Corporation) which had just
won the contract to dismantle Mercury and turn it in to a vast
solar-collecting array (the Dyson Project, mentioned in earlier books of
this series). Meanwhile, Susan and Isaac (plus Isaac�s sister Nina and a
colleague) are playing Solar Descent after work (see epilogue of _The
Janus File_).

One of the Saturn State Police troopers looking at the suicide has a
hunch that there was something off, but couldn�t figure out what. He
sends a request for Sys-Pol intervention. It reaches Isaac�s boss who
decides that this is a simple case for Isaac and Susan (unlike the one
in _The Janus File_) and assigns them to it (another, potentially
high-profile, case has popped up, which might warrant his personal
attention). They (including Isaac�s AI companion, Cephalie) pick up Nina
(who was bored, **spoiler** she will soon regret volunteering) for
forensics support and head to Atlas�s mobile headquarters (which, much
like the much larger Janus megastructure, floats in Saturn�s atmosphere)
- currently it is holding position behind Janus, where Atlas is working
on an expansion to it. They interview Velasco�s boss (the CEO of Atlas),
several co-workers, and, after traveling to Janus, Velasco�s widow.
While Velasco appeared to be under severe stress the days before his
suicide, the reason for that is obscure. Nina finds that his work data
files had been selectively scrubbed after his suicide, keyword Ghost
(his home files mention conversations with a �Ghost�, but no details).

They do have some leads. First, Velasco had long been friends with
Antoni Ruckman (it is not clear if he is an human who had abstracted,
i.e., downloaded, or an AI) who had been employed by SourceCode (a rival
of Atlas) but had been fired by them after their bid for the Dyson
Project contract suffered a spectacular demonstration failure. Also,
Velasco had received hostile messages from Mercury Preservation Society
which is vehemently opposed to the Dyson Project.

Following both leads results in Isaac failing to interview the head of
the local MPS chapter, Desmond Fike, because he avoided contact.
Meanwhile Susan goes to SourceCode to ask them about their failure where
she is told that they believe Ruckman�s security access was used to
sabotage their demonstration. Follow up reveals that Fike had hidden his
true home address (which was surprisingly plush), meanwhile he has
disappeared. Ruckman denies having anything to do with sabotaging
SourceCode�s demonstration. A check of Ruckman�s movement through the
Janus infostructure reveals an anomaly which led them to two criminals
in a container full of electronics, one wanting to make a fight of it.
Isaac�s boss calls him to find out when they will be finished with their
�simple� suicide. Isaac briefs him on the complexities they have found.
His boss tells him that he has been running interference in an adjacent
part of Janus on a weird kidnapping case (a malfunctioning toy, similar
to a Teddy Bear, had been self-replicating and the copies have been
snatching people).

The next day, Nina reports (after another all-nighter) that an illegal
copy of Ruckman�s mind had been made and was sent to the container and
was then relayed somewhere unknown. Isaac interviews the criminals (who
are members of a rather nasty gang) and one of them claims the Ruckman
copy was commissioned by a �Ghost� and he was told that �Ghost� was
actually Desmond Fike. Finding Fike becomes high-priority. One of Nina�s
task was a search of Atlas infosystem. After some legal wrangling, she
got a copy much of the internal message traffic and discovered that,
while there was extensive references to the current Solar Descent
season, there was no mention of the season�s villain, one Onyx Ghost.
Isaac gets another call from his boss, the kidnapping case is getting
worse; the call is terminated when a bunch of toys overrun his team�s
position (everybody escaped). After receiving lots of �leads� (i.e.,
mostly nonsense), they get a true hot lead and find Fike. Who had run
because he was using MPS funds for personal use and wasn�t a Ghost of
any type.

Nina reports that she had found traces of unregistered microbots in the
container and a check of a city wide database determined that these
microbots had been detected elsewhere with a high concentration in one
location. Isaac decides that location was a probable location for the
nasty gang�s current hangout. He decides that Susan will lead the raid
in her combat frame, with SSP followup. Susan mounts up, enters the
location, and overwhelms the gang members there, but noticed that there
wasn�t much equipment present. A search finds a grav tube leading
upwards into an abandoned part of Janus (the actual source of the
microbots - BTW, why wasn�t this failed construction project cleaned
up?). Isaac notices something that the SSP search of the area had
missed, but is captured by the gang for his trouble. Susan tracks him
down, rescues him, and then goes after the rest of the gang in their new
hideout. The gang leader hears the noise, realizes that the gang is
doomed, and heads for her secret escape route - another grav tube going
up into an adjacent section of Janus (the one infested by those toys),
where she is captured by said toys. Susan tracks her down, destroying
toys in the process, and finds her tied up in a chamber with 6 children
previously snatched . Susan unties all the captive children, then the
gang boss (who was immediately immobilized) and leads the children out.

Nina finds the badly damaged copy of Ruckman in the infostructure of the
gang�s new hangout. Isaac explains to the original Ruckman of what his
options are with the copy; Isaac also promises that he would recommend
whatever option that Ruckman decides. The interview of the copy reveals
that the �Ghost� had asked him many questions about the SourceCode set
up (and had acquired Ruckman�s security access). Nina reports that she
found a recording of a call the gang leader had received hours before
the raid. Upon listening to it, Isaac is certain that is the �Ghost�
again, only this time he was pretending to be a different red herring
(both Isaac and Susan thought that the casual use of a particular idiom
was too pat). Isaac realizes who was being too clever and arrests the
Ghost. Interrogation reveals that the Ghost had essentially blackmailed
Velasco (because of his unwitting involvement in the illegal copy of
Ruckman�s mind) to create the sabotage code (even more reason for the
suicide).

Susan gets some good publicity for rescuing 6 children (other Sys-Pol
personnel rescued the rest of the captives), Atlas�s contract is
cancelled (with the whole bid process restarted), Ruckman gets his job
back, and the toy infestation is put down. Afterwards, Isaac, Susan,
Nina, and colleague resume with the current Solar Descent scenario. This
particular scenario is a killer scenario that player characters can only
survive if the players cheated (i.e., use real world assets to equip
their characters to match the threat as revealed by people who already
played it) which Isaac did on a grand scale.

The next book in this series is _The Thermopylae Protocol_ by David
Weber and Jacob Holo, coming in June 2024. Since it is a �Protocol�
title, I expect the return of the main cast of _The Gordian Protocol_
and _The Valkyrie Protocol_. However, I have heard that Isaac and Susan
will also be in this book.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<9d1d2492-eb23-4537-aa6e-6f696d4ff213n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93739&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93739

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:04:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:04 UTC

On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 12:41:35 AM UTC-5, Robert Woodward wrote:
> [...]
> Nina, and colleague resume with the current Solar Descent scenario. This
> particular scenario is a killer scenario that player characters can only
> survive if the players cheated (i.e., use real world assets to equip
> their characters to match the threat as revealed by people who already
> played it) which Isaac did on a grand scale.
>
> The next book in this series is _The Thermopylae Protocol_ by David
> Weber and Jacob Holo, coming in June 2024. Since it is a łProtocol˛
> title, I expect the return of the main cast of _The Gordian Protocol_
> and _The Valkyrie Protocol_. However, I have heard that Isaac and Susan
> will also be in this book.
>
> --
> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.

I guess I no longer need to read the book..

pt

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<Wwp7N.37798$zh16.35021@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93742&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93742

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:56:38 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:56 UTC

"pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 12:41:35=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, Robert Woodwa=
>rd wrote:
<book elided>
>> The next book in this series is _The Thermopylae Protocol_ by David=20
>> Weber and Jacob Holo, coming in June 2024. Since it is a =C5=82Protocol=
>=CB=9B=20
>> title, I expect the return of the main cast of _The Gordian Protocol_=20
>> and _The Valkyrie Protocol_. However, I have heard that Isaac and Susan=
>=20
>> will also be in this book.=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."=20
>> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.=20
>> =E2=80=B9-----------------------------------------------------=20
>> Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com
>
>I guess I no longer need to read the book..

There's a happy medium between this and "the book was well-bound".

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<9658cc75-bbcd-423d-a581-1ecfa835b1e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93750&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93750

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:27:05 -0800 (PST)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:27 UTC

Your punctuation came out poorly at Google Groups,
which has problems enough besides. Here:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.sf.written/c/KJzkhcHAoag/m/Zo4Pen1JAAAJ>

I think it's just quote marks / smart quotes probably,
but I spent most of the review wondering what an
IGhost_ is - a dead human transferred to software is
the obvious answer. Whether it /is/ that, I've forgotten.

We don't know who done it, but I suppose that
the company e-mail database with no mention of
famous game character Onyx Ghost is because
messages containing the word "Ghost" were purged?

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujlu08$1gi0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93755&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93755

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:05:59 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:05 UTC

On 11/22/2023 9:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 12:41:35=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, Robert Woodwa=
>> rd wrote:
> <book elided>
>>> The next book in this series is _The Thermopylae Protocol_ by David=20
>>> Weber and Jacob Holo, coming in June 2024. Since it is a =C5=82Protocol=
>> =CB=9B=20
>>> title, I expect the return of the main cast of _The Gordian Protocol_=20
>>> and _The Valkyrie Protocol_. However, I have heard that Isaac and Susan=
>> =20
>>> will also be in this book.=20
>>> =20
>>> --=20
>>> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."=20
>>> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.=20
>>> =E2=80=B9-----------------------------------------------------=20
>>> Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com
>>
>> I guess I no longer need to read the book..
>
> There's a happy medium between this and "the book was well-bound".

Was it well printed ?

Lynn

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujlvoh$1gs42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93757&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93757

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 14:36:04 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:36 UTC

On 11/22/2023 2:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 11/22/2023 9:56 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>>> On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 12:41:35=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, Robert
>>> Woodwa=
>>> rd wrote:
>>    <book elided>
>>> =CB=9B=20
>>> =20
>>>
>>> I guess I no longer need to read the book..
>>
>> There's a happy medium between this and "the book was well-bound".
>
> Was it well printed ?

Frankly I wish reviewers would only mention the printing or binding if
there is a real problem with it. 99% of the time there is no need to
mention either in a review IMO.

dirty old man.

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujm1u8$bkp$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93758&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93758

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 23:13:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 23:13 UTC

In article <ujlvoh$1gs42$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Frankly I wish reviewers would only mention the printing or binding if
>there is a real problem with it. 99% of the time there is no need to
>mention either in a review IMO.

(Has traumatic flashback to the Big Blue Book edition of Champions)

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujm47d$1hhk0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93759&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93759

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:52:15 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 23:52 UTC

On 11/22/2023 3:13 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <ujlvoh$1gs42$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>>
>> Frankly I wish reviewers would only mention the printing or binding if
>> there is a real problem with it. 99% of the time there is no need to
>> mention either in a review IMO.
>
> (Has traumatic flashback to the Big Blue Book edition of Champions)

That would be one of the 1%ers.

dirty old man.

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujm6e7$enl$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93760&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93760

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:29:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:29 UTC

In article <ujm47d$1hhk0$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 11/22/2023 3:13 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <ujlvoh$1gs42$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Frankly I wish reviewers would only mention the printing or binding if
>>> there is a real problem with it. 99% of the time there is no need to
>>> mention either in a review IMO.
>>
>> (Has traumatic flashback to the Big Blue Book edition of Champions)
>
>That would be one of the 1%ers.

There was also a special rush shipment of new GW rulebooks sent via
air, which is how it was discovered the glue in GW books cannot
withstand the conditions in plane cargo bays.

With Lancer book, of course, review should only note when the
binding isn't crap.

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<robertaw-5B657B.21441522112023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93775&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93775

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:44:15 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 05:44 UTC

In article <Wwp7N.37798$zh16.35021@fx48.iad>,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

> "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
> >On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 12:41:35=E2=80=AFAM UTC-5, Robert Woodwa=
> >rd wrote:
> <book elided>
> >> The next book in this series is _The Thermopylae Protocol_ by David=20
> >> Weber and Jacob Holo, coming in June 2024. Since it is a =C5=82Protocol=
> >=CB=9B=20
> >> title, I expect the return of the main cast of _The Gordian Protocol_=20
> >> and _The Valkyrie Protocol_. However, I have heard that Isaac and Susan=
> >=20
> >> will also be in this book.=20
> >>=20
> >> --=20
> >> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."=20
> >> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.=20
> >> =E2=80=B9-----------------------------------------------------=20
> >> Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com
> >
> >I guess I no longer need to read the book..
>
> There's a happy medium between this and "the book was well-bound".

I know, but I found myself writing a synopsis and I couldn't write
anything else. This has happened to me before (stand alone novels are
usually immune). The original was worse; I was able to compress about 3
paragraphs into one paragraph and deleted several sentences elsewhere
entirely.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<robertaw-A5BC19.21463422112023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93776&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93776

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:46:34 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 05:46 UTC

In article <ujm6e7$enl$1@reader2.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <ujm47d$1hhk0$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> >On 11/22/2023 3:13 PM, James Nicoll wrote:

> >> (Has traumatic flashback to the Big Blue Book edition of Champions)
> >
> >That would be one of the 1%ers.
> >
> There was also a special rush shipment of new GW rulebooks sent via
> air, which is how it was discovered the glue in GW books cannot
> withstand the conditions in plane cargo bays.
>
> With Lancer book, of course, review should only note when the
> binding isn't crap.

I think I have a few Lancer titles (bought used!) that don't have loose
pages or covers. At least they were that way when I put them in a box
over 20 years ago (where they stayed untouched).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<iq0vlih8ok0n0f7f5q1388u26fvns0utf2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93786&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93786

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 08:54:12 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:46:34 -0800, Robert Woodward
<robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>In article <ujm6e7$enl$1@reader2.panix.com>,
> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> In article <ujm47d$1hhk0$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>> >That would be one of the 1%ers.
>> >
>> There was also a special rush shipment of new GW rulebooks sent via
>> air, which is how it was discovered the glue in GW books cannot
>> withstand the conditions in plane cargo bays.
>>
>> With Lancer book, of course, review should only note when the
>> binding isn't crap.
>
>I think I have a few Lancer titles (bought used!) that don't have loose
>pages or covers. At least they were that way when I put them in a box
>over 20 years ago (where they stayed untouched).

I've run into a few books that, after I read them once, were basically
a set of unbound pages.

So to evaluate the binding it is necessary to read the book, IMHO.

I should note, in fairness, that I am known to be rough on things in
general, including books. I don't actually through them around, but I
do stress them simply by opening them and reading them.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<ujops2$21bn0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93792&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93792

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:13:51 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 00:13 UTC

On 11/23/2023 10:54 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:46:34 -0800, Robert Woodward
> <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <ujm6e7$enl$1@reader2.panix.com>,
>> jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>>> There was also a special rush shipment of new GW rulebooks sent via
>>> air, which is how it was discovered the glue in GW books cannot
>>> withstand the conditions in plane cargo bays.
>>>
>>> With Lancer book, of course, review should only note when the
>>> binding isn't crap.
>>
>> I think I have a few Lancer titles (bought used!) that don't have loose
>> pages or covers. At least they were that way when I put them in a box
>> over 20 years ago (where they stayed untouched).
>
> I've run into a few books that, after I read them once, were basically
> a set of unbound pages.
>
> So to evaluate the binding it is necessary to read the book, IMHO.
>
> I should note, in fairness, that I am known to be rough on things in
> general, including books. I don't actually through them around, but I
> do stress them simply by opening them and reading them.

There is another problem too. Some of the POD (print on demand) authors
manage to get their books printed in 6 point type. It is so small to be
illegible by most people. I think that Amazon POD has stopped this but
I am not sure. So when I say well printed, I mean that the chosen type
is legible and easy on the eyes (especially my eyes which are in very
bad shape). Of course, this only applies to dead tree books. I have no
idea about the tortured electron books.

Lynn

Re: _The Dyson File_ by Jacob Holo

<jfi1mi5gpjms6p8ispsptq1qkb2qi387cj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93804&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93804

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:11:41 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:11 UTC

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:13:51 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

<snippo -- physical book descriptions in reviews>
>There is another problem too. Some of the POD (print on demand) authors
>manage to get their books printed in 6 point type. It is so small to be
>illegible by most people. I think that Amazon POD has stopped this but
>I am not sure. So when I say well printed, I mean that the chosen type
>is legible and easy on the eyes (especially my eyes which are in very
>bad shape). Of course, this only applies to dead tree books. I have no
>idea about the tortured electron books.

Unless they are actually scanned images of pages (I have at least one
-- and it's not a graphic novel), most Kindle books allow you to
select the size of the type and the line-spacing. And perhaps the font
as well. The line spacing was very helpful when reading a book in a
series about a wacky detective family which had lots of footnotes: I
was using my touch-screen Kindle and separating the lines was very
helpful in ensuring that, when I touched the footnote number, that was
what activated as opposed to a word in the line above or below..