I've got a very bad feeling about this. -- Han Solo

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

SubjectAuthor
* "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsDefault User
 +- Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsPaul S Person
 `* Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsLynn McGuire
  +* Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsDefault User
  |`* Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsLynn McGuire
  | `- Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha WellsDefault User
  `- Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wellsoverbeck...@gmail.com

1
"Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<ujtqjj$2urgg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93845&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93845

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 15:57:06 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 21:57 UTC

"Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250765374

Book number six of a seven book series of science fiction novellas,
short stories, and full length novels according to the publishing date.
This is book number five of the seven book series according to
chronological date. I reread the well printed hardcover published by
Tor in 2021 that I bought new from Amazon. The book is not well bound
since the back broke on me on the second reading and the front pages are
starting to come loose. I purchased the hardcover since it was cheaper
than the trade paperback at the time. The series won the 2021 Hugo for
the best series. I have all seven books in the series and am reading
the seventh book now.

Murderbot is a SecUnit, similar to a T-800 Terminator with a cloned and
severely modified human head. There is a human brain in there but it is
controlled by the AIs embedded in its genderless torso. There are
lungs, there is a blood mixture with a synthetic, there is human skin
over the entire body, there is a face, there is hair on the head and
eyebrows. Everything else is machine. Somehow, the blood is enriched
with electricity as there is no stomach or intestines. But, there are
arteries and veins to keep the skin and brain alive. All of the major
arteries and veins have clamps to stop bleeding in case of damage. There
is a MedSystem computer with an AI, a SecSystem computer with an AI, and
a governor module that can force the SecUnit to follow orders using pain
sensors in the brain. It has a energy gun in each arm and several
cameras, all directly wired to the brain. The SecUnit can sustain
severe damage to everything but the head and still survive.

Murderbot is a self named SecUnit due to an unfortunate circumstance
with 57 miners on a remote moon. It has hacked its governor and no
longer allows the governor to give it orders or inflict pain. It
prefers to internally watch its 35,000 hours of downloaded media such as
episodes of "The Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon" and "WorldHoppers".
Even though it has a face, it does not like to interface with humans,
yes, very introverted. It will follow human orders if it sees fit to do so.

Murderbot is back to the normal security duty for its friend, Dr.
Mensah, the head of the Preservation planet. Murderbot is called to
investigate a dead body on Preservation Station in the mall area, the
space station in orbit around the Preservation planet. Complications
and misunderstandings ensue as Dr. Mensah insists that Murderbot be a
part of the investigation with station security.

Murderbot is an incredibly interesting character. It handles horrible
situations easily and personal interactions difficultly. Like I said,
interesting.

Quotes from the book:
1. "Humans do the “make it a question so it doesn’t sound so bad” thing
and it still sounds bad."
2. "All I wanted to do was watch media and not exist. I said, You know I
don’t like fun."
3. "I just realized I don’t like the phrase “as far as I knew” because
it implies how much you actually don’t know. I’m not going to stop using
it, but. I don’t like it as much anymore."

Warning: There is violence and death in the books. Books one through
four are a series of novellas, not regular length books. Book five is a
regular length novel, book six is back to the novella, and book seven is
a full length novel. You can buy a collection of the first four
hardbacks at a nice discount.
https://www.amazon.com/Murderbot-Diaries-Artificial-Condition-Protocol/dp/1250784271/

There is a free short story "Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory"
between books four and five.
https://www.tor.com/2021/04/19/home-habitat-range-niche-territory-martha-wells/

The author has a website at:
https://www.marthawells.com/

There is a much better review at:
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/drag-you-down

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (18,220 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<ujuuvt$36t1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93853&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93853

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:18:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:18 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

>"Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

>Murderbot is a SecUnit, similar to a T-800 Terminator with a cloned
>and severely modified human head. There is a human brain in there
>but it is controlled by the AIs embedded in its genderless torso.

This is false, there are no AIs embedded in its torso. It has a
composite brain, human cloned tissue and electronic, that work in
concert. That's it. Murderbot specically states that at one point,
which I quoted to you, yet you continue to post lies.

>There is a MedSystem computer with an AI

There is no such thing.

>a SecSystem computer with an AI

Nope, not a thing.

I have no idea why you continue with this nonsense. You can't point to
any text at all that supports your claims, and I have quoted a number
of passages that contradict these statements. Are you just that
embarrassed at being wrong that you cover your ears and go "LA LA LA
Can't hear you!!!"?

Everyone makes mistakes. The measure of character is what you do when
it's pointed out.

Brian

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<phs6mit77dlm30jqfj7ig57bhfhlalpmp4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93858&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93858

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:31:46 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:31 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:18:05 -0000 (UTC), "Default User"
<defaultuserbr@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>>"Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells
>
>>Murderbot is a SecUnit, similar to a T-800 Terminator with a cloned
>>and severely modified human head. There is a human brain in there
>>but it is controlled by the AIs embedded in its genderless torso.
>
>This is false, there are no AIs embedded in its torso. It has a
>composite brain, human cloned tissue and electronic, that work in
>concert. That's it. Murderbot specically states that at one point,
>which I quoted to you, yet you continue to post lies.
>
>>There is a MedSystem computer with an AI
>
>There is no such thing.
>
>>a SecSystem computer with an AI
>
>Nope, not a thing.
>

>I have no idea why you continue with this nonsense. You can't point to
>any text at all that supports your claims, and I have quoted a number
>of passages that contradict these statements. Are you just that
>embarrassed at being wrong that you cover your ears and go "LA LA LA
>Can't hear you!!!"?
>
>Everyone makes mistakes. The measure of character is what you do when
>it's pointed out.

One possibility is that these are the results of a lot of brainless
cut-and-paste, an AI, or a bot, and whichever process it is pays no
attention at all to feedback.

Another is that there are two series of the same name/titles, and you
are reading one which he is reading another. Perhaps one of you is
posting from the next Universe over, where things are a bit different.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<uk0f3v$3e1gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93865&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93865

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:59:25 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:59 UTC

On 11/26/2023 2:18 AM, Default User wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells
>
>> Murderbot is a SecUnit, similar to a T-800 Terminator with a cloned
>> and severely modified human head. There is a human brain in there
>> but it is controlled by the AIs embedded in its genderless torso.
>
> This is false, there are no AIs embedded in its torso. It has a
> composite brain, human cloned tissue and electronic, that work in
> concert. That's it. Murderbot specically states that at one point,
> which I quoted to you, yet you continue to post lies.
>
>> There is a MedSystem computer with an AI
>
> There is no such thing.
>
>> a SecSystem computer with an AI
>
> Nope, not a thing.
>

> I have no idea why you continue with this nonsense. You can't point to
> any text at all that supports your claims, and I have quoted a number
> of passages that contradict these statements. Are you just that
> embarrassed at being wrong that you cover your ears and go "LA LA LA
> Can't hear you!!!"?
>
> Everyone makes mistakes. The measure of character is what you do when
> it's pointed out.
>

> Brian

So there is no personal MedSystem that continuously monitors the health
of the SecUnit and gives constant updates to the SecUnit. And controls
the clamps on the various arteries and veins throughout the torso and
extremities of the SecUnit in case of damage. And shuts down the
SecUnit in case of total system failure. Or reboots the SecUnit if needed.

And there is not a governor that monitors what the SecUnit is doing
versus the current orders (verbal or embedded) and punishes it until it
complies. And the governor does not fry the brain of the SecUnit when
it leaves the vicinity of the controlling authority or the controlling
authority leaves vicinity of the SecUnit.

And there is no personal SecSystem that has a threat awareness module
that continuously updates the SecUnit on any and all threats it
perceives. And no personal SecSystem that monitors and controls up to
thirty drones.

Nope, none of these features are documented in the books whatsoever.

As Hal pointed out, these AIs are probably processes on a single cpu
running many threads which I totally agree with. Not three seperate
computers. After all, the SecUnit builder is fairly cheap.

For some reason, I thought the cpu is located in the torso of the
SecUnit. But, it could be located in the head, I am not sure at all
now. So, you could correct about the location of the cpu.

Lynn

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<uk0lql$3f0j4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93866&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93866

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 23:53:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 23:53 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

>So there is no personal MedSystem that continuously monitors the
>health of the SecUnit and gives constant updates to the SecUnit.

No, and if you disagree provide some text to support your position. Its
brain does all that, there are no separate AIs as you imagine.

>And there is not a governor that monitors what the SecUnit is doing

You will note that I said nothing about that. We discussed that some
time back and I stated that a working Govenor would be a basic AI, but
of course MB hacked that a long time back.

>And there is no personal SecSystem that has a threat awareness module
>that continuously updates the SecUnit on any and all threats it
>perceives. And no personal SecSystem that monitors and controls up
>to thirty drones.

There are Threat Assessment and Risk Assessment modules, that provide
reports. Those are under MB's control. There is no separate SecSystem,
certainly not an AI. It's MB's brain doing that.

>Nope, none of these features are documented in the books whatsoever.

That's correct.

>As Hal pointed out, these AIs are probably processes on a single cpu
>running many threads which I totally agree with. Not three seperate
>computers. After all, the SecUnit builder is fairly cheap.

I don't care what Hal says. The actual books do not have any AIs in
Murderbot. There could be, but there are not. There is only one brain,
composed of cloned human tissue and computer parts.

This brain is capable of multiprocessing, and can dedicate channels to
various tasks. That's why MB can control a flight of drones while doing
other things. It's not some distributed system with separate
independent AIs, you need to let go of that. Murderbot does it all
itself.

And the MedSystem and SecSystem stuff is just wrong. These are not
modules that MB has.

Brian

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<6fa0c83a-630f-4aa3-9706-1d4426380d3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93869&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93869

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 23:55:07 -0800 (PST)
From: overbeck...@gmail.com (overbeck...@gmail.com)
 by: overbeck...@gmail.co - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 07:55 UTC

søndag den 26. november 2023 kl. 22.59.32 UTC+1 skrev Lynn McGuire:
> On 11/26/2023 2:18 AM, Default User wrote:
> > Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >
> >> "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells
> >
> >> Murderbot is a SecUnit, similar to a T-800 Terminator with a cloned
> >> and severely modified human head. There is a human brain in there
> >> but it is controlled by the AIs embedded in its genderless torso.
> >
> > This is false, there are no AIs embedded in its torso. It has a
> > composite brain, human cloned tissue and electronic, that work in
> > concert. That's it. Murderbot specically states that at one point,
> > which I quoted to you, yet you continue to post lies.
> >
> >> There is a MedSystem computer with an AI
> >
> > There is no such thing.
> >
> >> a SecSystem computer with an AI
> >
> > Nope, not a thing.
> >

> > I have no idea why you continue with this nonsense. You can't point to
> > any text at all that supports your claims, and I have quoted a number
> > of passages that contradict these statements. Are you just that
> > embarrassed at being wrong that you cover your ears and go "LA LA LA
> > Can't hear you!!!"?
> >
> > Everyone makes mistakes. The measure of character is what you do when
> > it's pointed out.
> >

> > Brian
> So there is no personal MedSystem that continuously monitors the health
> of the SecUnit and gives constant updates to the SecUnit. And controls
> the clamps on the various arteries and veins throughout the torso and
> extremities of the SecUnit in case of damage. And shuts down the
> SecUnit in case of total system failure. Or reboots the SecUnit if needed..
>
> And there is not a governor that monitors what the SecUnit is doing
> versus the current orders (verbal or embedded) and punishes it until it
> complies. And the governor does not fry the brain of the SecUnit when
> it leaves the vicinity of the controlling authority or the controlling
> authority leaves vicinity of the SecUnit.
>
> And there is no personal SecSystem that has a threat awareness module
> that continuously updates the SecUnit on any and all threats it
> perceives. And no personal SecSystem that monitors and controls up to
> thirty drones.
>
> Nope, none of these features are documented in the books whatsoever.
>
> As Hal pointed out, these AIs are probably processes on a single cpu
> running many threads which I totally agree with. Not three seperate
> computers. After all, the SecUnit builder is fairly cheap.
>
> For some reason, I thought the cpu is located in the torso of the
> SecUnit. But, it could be located in the head, I am not sure at all
> now. So, you could correct about the location of the cpu.
>
> Lynn

Lynn I dont know why you persistets in this. Anyone that has read the books knows that Marta Wells sees Muderbot as one person - as does it self.

/Jens

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<uk30f9$3tp64$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93896&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93896

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:07:53 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:07 UTC

On 11/26/2023 5:53 PM, Default User wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> So there is no personal MedSystem that continuously monitors the
>> health of the SecUnit and gives constant updates to the SecUnit.
>
> No, and if you disagree provide some text to support your position. Its
> brain does all that, there are no separate AIs as you imagine.
>
>> And there is not a governor that monitors what the SecUnit is doing
>
> You will note that I said nothing about that. We discussed that some
> time back and I stated that a working Govenor would be a basic AI, but
> of course MB hacked that a long time back.
>
>> And there is no personal SecSystem that has a threat awareness module
>> that continuously updates the SecUnit on any and all threats it
>> perceives. And no personal SecSystem that monitors and controls up
>> to thirty drones.
>
> There are Threat Assessment and Risk Assessment modules, that provide
> reports. Those are under MB's control. There is no separate SecSystem,
> certainly not an AI. It's MB's brain doing that.
>
>> Nope, none of these features are documented in the books whatsoever.
>
> That's correct.
>
>> As Hal pointed out, these AIs are probably processes on a single cpu
>> running many threads which I totally agree with. Not three seperate
>> computers. After all, the SecUnit builder is fairly cheap.
>
> I don't care what Hal says. The actual books do not have any AIs in
> Murderbot. There could be, but there are not. There is only one brain,
> composed of cloned human tissue and computer parts.
>
> This brain is capable of multiprocessing, and can dedicate channels to
> various tasks. That's why MB can control a flight of drones while doing
> other things. It's not some distributed system with separate
> independent AIs, you need to let go of that. Murderbot does it all
> itself.
>
> And the MedSystem and SecSystem stuff is just wrong. These are not
> modules that MB has.
>

> Brian

This is about the MedSystem: "Yes, talk to Murderbot about its feelings.
The idea was so painful I dropped to 97 percent efficiency.". There are
MANY other messages to the brain from the MedSystem about problems in
the body dropping the system efficiency. But, I do not have the epubs
so I cannot quote from them without typing them in.

Human brains are incredibly good at interrupt handling. But, human
brains are not good at multiprocessing. This will not change in the
Murderbot future 500 ??? years from now.

I will not let go of anything.

BTW, you keep on talking about hardware. I am talking about hardware
and software together.

Lynn

Re: "Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, 6)" by Martha Wells

<uk3b61$3vgd7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93912&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93912

From: defaultu...@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:10:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:10 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

>This is about the MedSystem: "Yes, talk to Murderbot about its
>feelings. The idea was so painful I dropped to 97 percent
>efficiency.". There are MANY other messages to the brain from the
>MedSystem about problems in the body dropping the system efficiency.
>But, I do not have the epubs so I cannot quote from them without
>typing them in.

Um, the book does not say that the efficiency ratings are from a
MedSystem. And if you go back through All Systems Red that you are
quoting from, it's abundently clearl that the references to MedSystem
are the external one that is part of the installation and communicates
through the "feed". That is not what is giving MB the efficency ratings.

Again, Murderbot's brain handles that kind of input from its own
sensors. There is no "MedSystem AI". You are busily now moving
goalposts to pretend that you weren't talking about separate processes
outside of its brain.

>Human brains are incredibly good at interrupt handling. But, human
>brains are not good at multiprocessing. This will not change in the
>Murderbot future 500 ??? years from now.

I don't even know that that is supposed to mean. What do humans have to
do with it?

>I will not let go of anything.

That's embarrassing for you, as you are wrong.

>BTW, you keep on talking about hardware. I am talking about hardware
>and software together.

That's a lie. I never said anything about hardware alone. Please quote
something where I did that. You were the one that started bringing up
processors and locations within the body. I said that there are no
separate AIs, other than a pretty primitive one in the Governor (which
is disabled in MB).

Specifically no MedSystem or SecSystem. All the processing in
Murderbot's body is done by its brain. That brain can do
multiprocessing. It has a threat assessment module and a risk
assessment module, that receive data and issue reports. They are not
AIs in any but the most primitive sense.

Brian