From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (Shockwave Reader) The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:22:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:22 UTC

The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner

Can the United States of America save the world from the United States
of America?

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/bomb

Re: (Shockwave Reader) The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner

<E6haN.142032$BbXa.54589@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93992&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93992

From: mail...@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 08:49:40 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:49 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:22:24 +0000, James Nicoll wrote:

> The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner
>
> Can the United States of America save the world from the United States
> of America?
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/bomb

This sounds like a long way from the 1890s to about 1912. In 1902
the talk of the intelligencia was a book by journalist W.T. Stead titled
"The Americanization of the World." Stead and his pals Cecil Rhodes
and Andrew Carnegie had a vision of a revived empire consisting
of all the English-speaking nations. Rhodes even conceded that the
republican form of government was the future and that if the
monarchy must go, then so be it. Stead went down with the Titanic
and maybe that vision went with him.

Re: (Shockwave Reader) The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner

<ukdnkv$21qrn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94010&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94010

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:44:46 -0600
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:44 UTC

On 28/11/2023 08.22, James Nicoll wrote:
> The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner
>
> Can the United States of America save the world from the United States
> of America?
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/bomb

The idea of the US hiding behind "what it firmly believes to be
impenetrable defenses" reminds me of a portion of a story that
I read, in a magazine, at about the time that this was published;
coincidentally, in a magazine.

Does it include a scene in which a couple is at an amusement park
or something similar, and discuss some of the drawbacks of being
behind impenetrable defenses?

If so, it might be the story that I vaguely remember reading
fifty-odd years back. (I remember absolutely nothing else about
it, including whether or not I liked in.)

--
Michael F. Stemper
Isaiah 58:6-7

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (Shockwave Reader) The Wrong End of Time by John Brunner