Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: a citation = Global Population Crash Isn't Sci-Fi Anymore
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:17:34 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:17 UTC

from
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-03-10/global-population-collapse-isn-t-sci-fi-anymore-niall-ferguson

Global Population Crash Isn't Sci-Fi Anymore
We used to worry about the planet getting too crowded, but there are
plenty of downsides to a shrinking humanity as well.

March 9, 2024 at 9:00 PM PST
By Niall Ferguson
Niall Ferguson is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. He is the Milbank
Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University
and the author, most recently, of “Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe.”

It’s getting lonely out there. Photographer: Greg Baker/AFP/Getty Images

We used to imagine humanity populating the universe. In Isaac Asimov's
Foundation (1952), mankind has established a vast multi-planetary empire
by the year 47000. “There were nearly twenty-five million inhabited
planets in the Galaxy,” Asimov wrote. “The population of Trantor [the
imperial capital] … was well in excess of forty billions.”

In Liu Cixin’s Three-Body Problem (2006), by contrast, we’re a cosmic
rounding error, bracing ourselves for the terrifying Trisolaran
invasion. As the trailer for the new Netflix series puts it: “They are
coming, and there is nothing you can do to stop them.”

IMHO, a worthwhile read with plenty of Sci-fi references.
Read the rest at the citation.

Re: a citation = Global Population Crash Isn't Sci-Fi Anymore

<ustbr7$16qhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94188&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94188

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:11:35 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:11 UTC

On 3/10/2024 6:17 PM, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-03-10/global-population-collapse-isn-t-sci-fi-anymore-niall-ferguson
>
> Global Population Crash Isn't Sci-Fi Anymore
> We used to worry about the planet getting too crowded, but there are
> plenty of downsides to a shrinking humanity as well.
>
> March 9, 2024 at 9:00 PM PST
> By Niall Ferguson
> Niall Ferguson is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. He is the Milbank
> Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University
> and the author, most recently, of “Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe.”
>
> It’s getting lonely out there. Photographer: Greg Baker/AFP/Getty Images
>
> We used to imagine humanity populating the universe. In Isaac Asimov's
> Foundation (1952), mankind has established a vast multi-planetary empire
> by the year 47000. “There were nearly twenty-five million inhabited
> planets in the Galaxy,” Asimov wrote. “The population of Trantor [the
> imperial capital] … was well in excess of forty billions.”
>
> In Liu Cixin’s Three-Body Problem (2006), by contrast, we’re a cosmic
> rounding error, bracing ourselves for the terrifying Trisolaran
> invasion. As the trailer for the new Netflix series puts it: “They are
> coming, and there is nothing you can do to stop them.”
>
> IMHO, a worthwhile read with plenty of Sci-fi references.
> Read the rest at the citation.

"The Children of Time" book is set in the far distant future when
humanity has crashed twice on Earth. A very large spaceship with
500,000 sleepers escaped Earth and is now looking for a new home. Really
good so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031645253X/

Lynn