Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 20:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Blue bird in Peanuts?!
From: tchow12...@yahoo.com (Tim Chow)
 by: Tim Chow - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 03:59 UTC

About ten years ago, I remarked that the colors of Sunday strips in Peanuts
reprint books sometimes contradicted each other (see below for a snipped
of one of my old posts). So I was intrigued to read a remark by Schulz in
his interview with Laurie Colwin, apparently published for the first time in
the book, "What Cartooning Really Is," about the colors in "Peanuts Jubilee.."
The colors in this book have always struck me as being particularly bad,
and it's interesting to see that Schulz agrees:

"And they ruined all the color in it. The syndicate had thrown away all the
color proofs, and I didn't have time to go back and color all those things
myself. So, they said, "Well, we've got somebody here who can do it, and
they'll do a good job." And they miscolored the whole book. I was so
aggravated. They used nice colors, but they put them in the wrong places."
(page 187)

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 2:24:32 PM UTC-4, I wrote:
> However, let me also back up my statement that the colors can't all be
> original because they sometimes contradict each other. For anyone who
> believes that the current rerun colors are original, I've already
> shown that the 1966-05-22 strip exhibited a yellow bird in the Ravette
> reprint books, whereas the current rerun uses blue. I went through
> another example in detail back in 2000 in alt.comics.peanuts:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comics.peanuts/browse_thread/thread/f439ba94fdbe73d9/15f29fc59ecc341
>
> A couple more examples of discrepant colors that I noted in passing
> while doing the research for this post:
>
> 1968-02-18: In Ravette, Snoopy's cap is red and white. In Peanuts
> Classics, it's green and pink. Some of the skies are pink in Peanuts
> Classics, while all the skies are blue in Ravette.
>
> 1967-05-07: The tussle in the penultimate panel is colored differently
> in Ravette vs. Snoopy: My Greatest Adventures.
>
> 1958-12-21: In "Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz," Charlie
> Brown's shirt is red and Patty's dress is green. In Peanuts Jubilee,
> Charlie Brown's shirt is yellow and Patty's dress is purple. This
> strip has nothing to do with bird colors per se, but I noticed it
> while searching "Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz," which I
> thought for sure would have some examples (and that would be really
> nice since they're photographs of original tear sheets).
> Unfortunately, the closest thing I found in the book was an undated TV
> Guide cover. By now you should not be surprised that the bird
> (Woodstock, perhaps, by this time) was yellow.
>
> Examples of contradictory colors could be multiplied endlessly. This
> is just a random selection that didn't take me any extra effort to
> assemble.

---
Tim Chow