From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Crankshaft: Asking Permission
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 16:34:27 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 21:34 UTC

Crankshaft: Asking Permission
https://www.gocomics.com/crankshaft/2023/07/13

I used to ride my bike down to the Pik-n-Pak back when I was 10 years
old (1970) to buy a carton of cigarettes for my grandfather for $1.90.
He would give me $2.00, I would scrounge up another 15 cents and buy a
Spiderman or a Iron Man comic book.

Lynn

Re: Crankshaft: Asking Permission

<u8qeso$3u51u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=9839&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#9839

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: Crankshaft: Asking Permission
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:19:51 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:19 UTC

On 7/13/2023 9:14 PM, Kevrob wrote:

> I made the trip on my 20" red, used bicycle I was given by Santa one year.
> I could have walked it, but I loved to ride the bike. Maybe a mile, round trip,
> without any detours. I could have walked it, but one can't let news get stale.
> Sometimes I was funded to pick up the Daily News, also, if my Dad hadn't been
> anywhere to pick up a morning paper. Newday published in the afternoon in
> those days, while the News published several editions, rom a "bulldog" to a
> morning final that had the previous night's sports results in it. On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 5:34:33 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Crankshaft: Asking Permission
>> https://www.gocomics.com/crankshaft/2023/07/13
>>
>> I used to ride my bike down to the Pik-n-Pak back when I was 10 years
>> old (1970) to buy a carton of cigarettes for my grandfather for $1.90.
>> He would give me $2.00, I would scrounge up another 15 cents and buy a
>> Spiderman or a Iron Man comic book.
>>

> SAG-AFTRA/WAG striking means this year's SDCC will have to depend on
> actual Comics programming!
>
> Good way to figure out who is affected by the strikes wpould be reading
> Mark Evanier's blog.
>
> https://www.newsfromme.com/
>
> When I were a lad, my Dad would send me to the local candy store to pick up
> the Saturday Newsday (The Long Island Newspaper.)* In the 1960s the paper
> did not publish on Sunday, so the Saturday edition had the extra sections -
> magazine supplement, 4-color comics - that The New York Daily News or the
> Long Island Press released on Sunday. I earned a whopping nickel for that.
> It was always a great decision whether that became a candy bar, a pack of
> baseball cards or 5/12ths of the price of a comic book. If it were the last, I
> also had the problem of how to smuggle the comic onto our property, and
> then into our house. My parents had been brainwashed by the Legion of Decency,
> Senator Kefauver and/or that quack Fred Wertham into declaring comics contraband.
> I always had to hide them.
>
> * https://www.newsday.com/
>
> When I hit 12 I got a News paper route. It was hard to sell customers on it
> because they did not provide us with an edition late enough to have the sports
> scores in it. People preferred to pick a later edition up on their commute to work.
> If that was by the Long Island Rail Road the stations' kiosks got the latest editions
> sent out by train, rather than having to wait for the local distributor to make his
> rounds.
>
> Younger folks will not remember having to wait even mere hours for breaking news
> below the level of importance that would cause radio and TV to "interrupt this
> broadcast."

I was thinking that comic books were 25 cents in 1970, I was wrong.
According to this website, Marvels were 15 cents in 1970 and 1971.
https://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistics/mediancoverprices.html

Lynn