Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:04:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Who is Steve Lane?
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 19:04 UTC

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 2:52:37 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 12:49:43 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> > > What "spin" is stupid, George?
> > >
> > > Ash tried to get a woman to listen to the Donkey's video, and she couldn't make it through to the end.
> > >
> > > I don't see what sort of "spin" that is.
> > >
> > > Did you get confused and think that Ash was talking about ME?
> > >
> > > FYI: Most people can't stand the Donkey's music.
> > >
> > > I, otoh, can tolerate most of it as ambient sound -- especially if it were playing in a bar at 3am, and I was sufficiently deep enough into my cups.
> > Sorry, but take it from someone who savors horrendous music-- no drunken stupor, no matter how deep, would numb me to be able to suffer through that dirge!
> Ignore the lyrics. The recording has a relaxing, soft country sound. Will's voice is also soft and fairly smooth. He has a vocal range of two or three notes, and falters a bit when he tries to reach beyond it, but... it's country. Missing the "high" notes only lends to the "everyman" quality of his voice. The flute playing adds a nice, unexpected touch, and adds to the relaxed, laid-back feel of the entire piece. There's not much of a melody, and what there is certainly isn't memorable, but then this isn't a record to sing along with. It's background music for a low end dive at 3am. Think of it as elevator muzak for after midnight drunks.
>
> I can't stand reading Will's poetry (I honestly believe that he's the worst poet who's ever lived), but I find his music much less annoying than rap, hip-hop, or most metal (sorry). I have always believed that if Will dropped his pretense of being a poet, and stopped trying to pass himself off as anything more than a local singer-songwriter, he wouldn't be an object of universal (or Usenetversal) scorn.

No need for apology, I'm secure in my musical taste, unlike my musical taste bigot foe that we all know. The sound of his songs is probably due to his friends and why it's tolerable. Your review is not bad. Your last sentence, only if it would be heeded...

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Who is Steve Lane?

By: Spam-I-Am on Sat, 29 Oct 2022

345Spam-I-Am