Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-21 (Sunday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 07:54:54 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:54 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What did YOU watch?
>
> Stargate SG-1, S5E08 'The Tomb' (DVD)
> "While exploring a pyramid-like structure known as a ziggurat on
> P2X-338, the SG-1 team find evidence that the Russians have previously
> visited the site. There is no entry in any of their logs to that effect
> and the Russians admit that some of their people may have used the gate
> without proper authorization. General Hammond has agreed that a Russian
> team led by Col. Zukhov will accompany SG-1 back to the planet to see if
> those people could be located. Daniel manages to find away into the
> ziggurat and they soon find the bodies of the Russians who went there 10
> months ago. They also find a Goa'uld sarcophagus. To the best they can
> determine, the first Russian team released a creature that consumed them
> but absorbed the Goa'uld's symbiont. When the entrance way collapses,
> they have to find a way out."
>
> Major Vallarin: Wait here.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Yes, you go down the dark hallway alone and I'll
> wait here in the dark room alone.
>
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: [Having just found Marduk dead in a sarcophagus]
> What about this writing? Any mention of a back door?
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: No. This portion of the text deals with the final
> fate of Marduk.
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: I think we know the final fate of Marduk.
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Well, apparently, he was such an evil tyrant that
> his own priests rebelled against him. They sealed him in the sarcophagus
> and placed some thing in there with him. There's no direct translation
> for the word, but I'm assuming it's a reference to the creature that ate
> him.
> Major Samantha Carter: Are you saying he was eaten alive?
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: The sarcophagus would have done its best to
> continually keep him alive, so... it probably would have taken a while.
> Lieutenant Tolinev: Bozhe moy!
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Okay, that's officially the worst way to go.
> (Not THAT'S an evil Gou'ald!)
>
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: One of your own men is dead. Where I come from,
> that tends to make a commander just a little upset!
> Colonel Zukhov: Where I come from, casualties are to be expected.
> (No comment about current events, no comment about current events, no
> comment about current events, no comment about current events,.... he
> screamed like the bartender in Mos Eisley.)
>
> Trivia: On the Russian soldier's uniform's shoulder, there appears to be
> a "3" next to a "B" over a "1." The 3 and the B are actually Cyrillic
> lettering for "Z" and "V." The transliteration for them would be ZV-1,
> or "Zvyozdnye Vorota Odeen," which translates to Star Gate 1 (SG-1.)
> When General Hammond is briefing SG-1 on the missing Russian team the
> photo on the next to last Russian officer dossier is Peter DeLuise, the
> director of this and many other SG episodes. (Waits for Anim to mutter
> about those damn commies being everywhere....)

“Godless Ruskies“

> Commentary by Peter DeLuise (director) and the two writers. It starts
> with DeLuise wondering why the MGM lion is always so pissed off.
>
> -----------------
>
> Stargate SG-1, S5E09 'Between Two Fires' (DVD)
> "The SG-1 is invited to the intimate funeral of the Tollan Omoc that
> died of heart attack. In the end of the ceremony, High Chancellor
> Travell invites Colonel Jack to return to discuss the trade of
> technology. However Narim secretly delivers a message to Samantha
> telling that Earth is in danger. They return and Travell proposes the
> trade of one Tollan cannon per the mineral Trinium that is exhausted in
> Tollana. Samantha concludes that it is necessary thirty-eight cannons to
> protect Earth from the Goa'uld. On the next day, the SG-1 returns to
> Tollana and Narim discloses that he suspects that Omac was murdered in a
> huge conspiracy from Travell and the Curia. The SG-1 together with Narim
> decide to investigate and they have a huge surprise."
>
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: So, push on blindly then.
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Blindly, yes. But we still have our slightly
> heightened sense of smell.
>
> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Mind if I ask what you need trinium for?
> High Chancellor Travell: Trinium is combined with a number of elements
> to create a compound that is used in various Tollan technologies.
> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Do you people practice being vague?
>

> Commentary by William Gereghty (director), Jim Menard (DP) and James
> Tichenor. William Gereghty was also the director of the episode that
> introduced the Tolan. Not one of the better commentaries IMO, a lot of
> technical shop talk and silences while they admire their work.
>
> -----------------
>
> History's Greatest Mysteries, S1E01 'The final Hunt for D.B. Cooper'
> "With over 7,500 house investigating the mystery; top D.B. Cooper expert
> Eric Ulis believes that he's found the true location where Cooper landed
> during his daring dive."
>

> What Did You Watch?

Hey! Thanks for asking!

NCIS Los Angeles
The Big Finale.
The Reunion Tribute Special.
Lightly discussed elsewhere.

All things considered. This was the worst presentation they could’ve put
on. The first half hour of it is just wrapping up the stolen gun mystery
from last week. It turns out the stolen guns were being stolen from
Argentina and not a San Diego naval base, so NCIS shouldn’t have been
involved in the first place. And a rogue, DOD guy murdered the head crook,
so NCIS didn’t even solve it! Much of that was also taken up with this
horrid character who’s been in the show a handful of times before some
grotesque, fat woman who’s got connections everywhere that they keep going
to for Intel. Apparently it’s supposed to be funny that this disgusting
thing is constantly making unwanted sexual advances to anybody But this
week especially to Sam.

Then Callen and squeeze, decide to just get married that afternoon and blow
off all the big wedding plans. So they do. And get a letter from Hetty with
some tickets asking them to come to Mongolia or somewhere. It turns out
Hetty’s been captured, and this all came from Nell. There’s no Possible Way
Nell could have done it given that she is in Mongolia and she only had two
hours notice. Plus the messenger that leaves them a note turns the corner
and vanishes when Sam is about a foot behind him, apparently taking lessons
from CSI Horatio. So Callen puts off his honeymoon to go rescue Hetty. The
end.

Oh, yeah, Deeks and Deeks are pregnant to nobody’s surprise.

And the city of Los Angeles buckled under, and gave Roundtree a fortune for
arresting him when he had a gun and fake ID and attacked some cops. And
they interviewed the asshole actor and a couple other people about how it
was so important that Black people fight cops.

Then we had an incredibly lame tribute special put on by entertainment
tonight. Just a bunch of interviews, most of them quite old. They did say
that the finale was a set up to get more stuff made, movies and new teams
and new adventures.

DEATH IN PARADISE S12E01
My lousy PBS station actually finally showed a new episode! Unfortunately,
they didn’t show the Christmas special that came before it so I missed them
introducing Ralph Little‘s new girlfriend.

This was possibly the stupidest episode of the series. Somehow an
astronomer, 40 years ago, had figured out that there would be a
“conjunction eclipse” right about now where a whole bunch of unnamed
heavenly bodies look like they’re in the same place in the sky and somehow
the eclipse light is additive so the fucking thing looks like Mars went
nova. If anything ever looked like that in the system, we’d all be dead.
Luckily, this apparently will only happen the once. Amazingly it didn’t
light up the night sky, even though it was as big and way brighter than the
sun. When it was over the astronomer was dead. How and why didn’t make much
sense. Meanwhile, Little‘s new girlfriend returns and the civilian cop
helper takes the test and becomes the most junior trainee you could be and
turns into a total bitch and keeps demanding to do stuff her way instead of
doing what Marlon tells her. She really needs to be shown the door.

IN PLAIN SIGHT season one
Finished it up. The earlier episodes are a lot of fun. But as we get more
and more Lesley Anne Warren drunk stuff, it actually becomes unwatchable by
the end of the first season. There is a happy ending where the court sends
Warren to rehab but it’s only for 28 days. I doubt I’ll watch any more.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Did You Watch? 2023-05-21 (Sunday)

By: shawn on Mon, 22 May 2023

11shawn