Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 15:25:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 May 2023 22:25 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Chicago Tribune has had an amusing long-running series in which movie,
>>> tv, and theater actors are interviewed, and encouraged to tell
>>> embarassing stories about themselves.
>
>>> William Fichtner is absolutely hysterical talking about having to do a
>>> very difficult horse-riding stunt in the Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer horror
>
>> "Arnie hammer horror" - I love it
>
> Heh. Hadn't occurred to me, I swear.
>
>>> The Lone Ranger (2013), in which he must leap from a moving train onto a
>>> saddled horse.
>
>>> Fichtner was not a stuntman and hadn't ridden a horse at all in 37
>>> years. But the director demanded "realism".
>
>>> I love movie stunts, and it doesn't bother me in the least that a
>>> professional stuntman and not the actor is performing the stunt. I can
>>> suspend disbelief. The cutaways have never interfered with my enjoyment
>>> of the movie. I just want to see the stunt and hope no one was hurt, but
>>> that's not going to be the case when they make the actor perform it.
>
>>> It's worth reading; turn off javascript.
>
>>> https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/what-to-watch/ct-ent-my-worst-william-fichtner-20230530-ie6qbj6prrb3nj5du6hq373l5i-story.html
>
>> Can't be done.
>
> Sigh

Thank you. All I got was a page saying I had to pay to read this article
because it’s special content for subscribers only.

> [...]
> you.'
>
> "So we're practicing and I'm in the high 90 percentile making it into
> the saddle. But on the day, it's not just the jump. I have a whole
> speech I have to do and these busted up teeth in my mouth (that are part
> of the costume). And the idea is that I never look back over my
> shoulder. They want me to just turn and almost blindly jump straight
> out. I will literally see the saddle when I'm in the air.
>
> "The reason Gore wanted to do it that way was because, when you cut
> away, everybody knows that's the magic of movies. But he didn't want to
> cut away. He wanted the camera behind Tonto and the Lone Ranger, so it
> was watching me jump. The whole time the camera would see the horse out
> there galloping with the empty saddle, and then I turn and jump and it's
> like, 'Wait a minute, did he just do that?'
>
> "So it was time to go. And I remember the first AD shouted out, 'All
> right, the train's going 20 miles an hour,' and I thought, 'You always
> told me 18!'
>
> "I do the first take, I deliver my monologue, I turn around, jumped out
> and landed in the saddle.
>
> "On film sets, they say 'check the gate' which means check to make sure
> the last image is clean, there's nothing in there ruining the image,
> especially because we're shooting in dust and debris. And this was the
> only time I remember on the entire shoot where they were like, 'Gate's
> no good.' Something got in the lens.
>
> "And I'm like, oh my god, you gotta be kidding me. So I do it again, and
> this time the horse ever-so-slightly slowed down and I missed the front
> of the saddle. So I landed just in front of it on the horse's neck, and
> that guy I told you about reached out and grabbed my jacket right
> between the shoulder blades with those big hands and he said, 'You're
> not going anywhere.' But that meant we had to do it again.
>
> "I was always hoping this was a one-take wonder and here we are, take
> three. By the way, it isn't easy to reset for a scene like this. To slow
> the train down all the way probably takes a mile. And then you have to
> back it all the way up. There's a lot involved.
>
> "So here we go. Take three. And I'm thinking, oh please land in that
> saddle because this monologue is feeling pretty good. And I turn, I jump
> and I hit the saddle! Boom, cut, check the gate. The gate's good! And
> away I went.
>
> "And (let's out a sigh) I was so happy that it worked.
>
> "After that movie, everyone was like, man, you're a horse rider now --
> but I've never ridden one since (laughs). That's the moral of that
> story."
>
> The takeaway ...
>
> "I was happy for me, but I was really happy for Gore. This was a shot
> that he had imagined long before they even started shooting the film.
> He's such a visual guy and he had a storyboard and he explained to me,
> 'This is how I want it to look, this is how I want the shot to be.' And

This sort of sounds like it ended up being a best moment.

Also like gore belongs in prison right next to Baldwin.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o William Fichtner "My Worst Moment"

By: Adam H. Kerman on Wed, 31 May 2023

3Adam H. Kerman