From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-06-04 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 19:46:56 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:46 UTC

On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:20:17 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 11:05:41 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> I remember this being a good movie.
>>
>> I liked this movie enough to see it a few times.
>
>I think I may have even owned it on laser.

>>> I remember this being a lousy movie, and I was very disappointed

>>> Girlfriend
>>>

>>> about a pending world ending
>>>
>>> Despite the fact that she has no problem with him, inventing an app to
>>> predict the future
>>
>> Well the predicting was based on information that everyone has
>> available and could be explained. The time travel bits required a leap
>> of faith to believe it.
>>

>>> As the plague gets closer and he
>>>
>>> Girlfriend.
>>>

>>> away due to his odd ramblings
>>>
>>> Despite the fact that she has no problem with him, inventing an app to
>>> predict the future
>>>

>>> Then a mysterious woman shows
>>>
>>> She looked familiar. Who was she on who? Call
>>
>> She is best known from her time on THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES.
>>

>I don’t think I watched that past the first episode when they dropped K-9
>into a black hole or whatever.
>

>>> and explains he has really gone back
>>>
>>> And she gives him her business card, despite the fact that when time resets
>>> you just wake up where you were, you can’t take anything with you.
>>
>> Yes, but all it had on it was an address. Something unusual that he
>> could easily remember. Plus he even visited the place only to find it
>> burnt down in the future. She could easily approach him again in the
>> future if he forgot where she told him to meet.
>
>But come on. This is a guy who didn’t even remember a bus was about to hit
>his girlfriend. Again. All I want for her to do is when she hands in the
>card, say “memorize it“
>
>I was flashing back to the Stargate SG one Groundhog Day episode where it
>took Jack like three or four variations before he believed that he couldn’t
>carry the information with him, and he had to memorize it.

>>> Agreed, it’s blatantly seven days, with big lifts from Larry Niven’s all
>>> the myriad ways, especially the 1963 Kennedy got us all killed bit. He.

>>> I find it incredibly improbable that you’d forget that your “friend” pushed
>>> your girlfriend in front of a bus in front of you. Maybe if he’d had a
>>> meeting on the other side of town in that iteration, but for God sakes,
>>> he’s standing right there.

That was one bit that always bothered me. Why not just have something
happen that prevents him from saving her?

>>> But thanks to the distraction the
>>>
>>> The previews for next week said she was not just merely dead, but really,
>>> quite sincerely dead.

Which is going to provide George's motivation going forward with the
show. Spoiler!!!!! Not that it should be a huge surprise that her
death sets up his actions going forward.

>>> So this means if George succeeds in stopping the terrorist
>>>
>>> Apparently they have to do the reset manually, which makes you wonder how
>>> the first one happened. And they have strange protocols for deciding that
>>> the world ended. Thousands dying isn’t enough. Millions dying is. Bombs
>>> going off aren’t enough unless one is atomic. Seriously, if somebody sets
>>> off a nuke in Paris, does the world really end for anybody else?
>>
>> Probably because a nuke going of in Paris is most likely going to end
>> up with someone else getting a gift of a warm bright future packaged
>> up and delivered by a bomber or missile.
>
>But she can wait to push the reset button until that happens, unless
>somebody drops the first bomb on her.
>
>In fact, they should really have a failsafe in case somebody does drop the
>first bomb on her. Auto reset!

What a concept.

>>> There’s another time travel movie I’ve seen recently, and can’t remember
>>> the name of that they lifted this dilemma from.
>>
>> TENENT.
>>

>Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen that. If not, I certainly should!
>Thanks.

It's a strange movie and controversial to some because of the way the
time travel works. There's bits of it that make no sense at all from a
physics standpoint even if you bought the idea of being able to travel
back in time, but I found the idea of it quite intriguing once you
ignore those illogical bits. (Something that you need to do with most
science fiction stories.)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Did You Watch? 2023-06-04 (Sunday)

By: Ubiquitous on Mon, 5 Jun 2023

47Ubiquitous