Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Black Poetry Day
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:21 UTC

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 3:24:22 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:
> On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 6:18:25 PM UTC-4, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> > > There is no new thing under the sun”- book of Ecclesiastates
> > *sigh* So simpleton that is stupefies the imagination into stagnant inanity.
> > Everything is futile...
> >
> > Vanity of vanities, said the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
> > What advantage is there to a man in all his labour that he takes under the sun?
> > A generation goes, and a generation comes: but the earth stands for ever.
> > And the sun arises, and the sun goes down and draws toward its place;
> > arising there it proceeds southward, and goes round toward the north. The wind goes round and round, and the wind returns to its circuits.
> > All the rivers run into the sea; and yet the sea is not filled: to the place whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
> > All things are full of labour; a man will not be able to speak of them: neither shall the eye be satisfied with seeing, neither shall the ear be filled with hearing.
> > What is that which has been? The very thing which shall be: and what is that which has been done? The very thing which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
> > Who is he that shall speak and say, 'Behold, this is new?' It has already been in the ages that have passed before us.
> > There is no memorial to the first things; neither to the things that have been last shall their memorial be with them that shall at the last time.
> >
> > -- Ecclesiastes 1, Brenton's Septuagint Translation
> Goddamned the ignominy of fools of meagre commentary!
> "What is that which has been? The very thing which shall be: and what is that which has been done? The very thing which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." than just a measly "There is no new thing under the sun."
>
> Speaking of standing on the shoulders...
>
> "We stood on the shoulders of giants
> Like Atlas with the burden of faith
> We clasped our hands—our hands in praise
> Of a conqueror's right to tyranny
> --*Death Of The Gods' (album "Redemption At The Puritan's Hand") ~~Primordial
>
> But wait, there's more relating to nothing new under the Sun, the damning realization from the fact...
>
> And whatever mine eyes desired, I withheld not from them, I withheld not my heart from all my mirth: for my heart rejoiced in all my labour; and this was my portion of all my labour.
> And I looked on all my works which my hands had wrought, and on my labour which I laboured to perform: and behold, all was vanity and waywardness of spirit, and there is no advantage under the sun.
>
> -- Ecclesiastes 2:11, Brenton's Septuagint Translation

"And so let me show you
There is nothing new
How we feared God
Held a flame into the void
And snuffed out the creator
And we became death
Is this the march of all against all?
To the sound of a distant drum
All of your sons and daughters
Walking right into the sun"
--'Nothing New Under the Sun' ~~Primordial

Then I looked on to see wisdom, and madness, and folly: for who is the man who will follow after counsel, in all things where in he employs it?
And I saw that wisdom excels folly, as much as light excels darkness.
The wise man's eyes are in his head; but the fool walks in darkness: and I perceived, even I, that one event shall happen to them all.
And I said in my heart, As the event of the fool is, so shall it be to me, even to me: and to what purpose have I gained wisdom? I said moreover in my heart, This is also vanity, because the fool speaks of his abundance.
For there is no remembrance of the wise man with the fool for ever; forasmuch as now in the coming days all things are forgotten: and how shall the wise man die with the fool?
So I hated life; because the work that was wrought under the sun was evil before me: for all is vanity and waywardness of spirit.
-- Ecclesiastes 2:12, Brenton's Septuagint Translation

All for wisdom or madness
for satisfaction or sadness
for our kingdom we hope will come
while our lives are coming undone