From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Recently Read - "Two Dooms"
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:49:53 -0700
References: <20160617a@crcomp.net> <587d392e-0a01-45c0-a7c7-dda2aa53ef4bn@googlegroups.com> <rAz1n9.1spA@kithrup.com> <tcri6h5mhf09u9nfeks8fsqu4rd6n2kn0v@4ax.com> <rB0Gzn.1MIF@kithrup.com> <3sdl6htceahasd2451bgop1mqbe69smmg3@4ax.com> <b33383ab-38b4-43ee-86be-64edc7534510n@googlegroups.com> <robertaw-812DC9.21543628042022@news.individual.net> <bc8240cf-7667-465c-b756-43532c9bcdb0n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:49 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:35:21 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 12:54:42 AM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <b33383ab-38b4-43ee...@googlegroups.com>,

>> > It's incorrect to characterize 'Wimbledon' as a place name in that context.
>> > It full name is 'Wimbledon 2022', which is an event, a tennis tournament.
>> >
>> > Even if the event moved, it might well retain the name, just as Woodstock
>> > was not held in Woodstock, NY.
>> >
>> > Let's refine Woodward's question a bit: Show an example of the use of 'they'
>> > or 'them' for a singular, named individual, prior to 1970. Excluded are
>> > stories
>> > in which non-binary genders, or gender terminology, is a plot point.
>> >
>> Let's include humans who claim non-binary gender in a pre-1970 story to
>> my challenge (I wonder if somebody will cite a Theodore Sturgeon title).
>> > Example: "Marion called. They want to play you at chess."
>> >
>> There are ambiguous names; i.e., "Kim called. <pronoun> want to play you
>> at chess" (Kipling's character was male, I know of several female Kims).
>
>I deliberately picked 'Marion' because its ambiguous. Not only MZB, but also
>Marion Robert Morrison.
>
>'Day Million' is a good example of what I wanted to avoid including;
>the gender change is part of the plot, and discussed as such.
>
>I want someone to produce a pre-1970 example of the use of a
>singular 'they' or 'them' where the individual is already known to
>the reader and speaker, not a hypothetical or unknown person. I want to
>see it in normal use, not in the context of 'lets discuss gender and/or
>terminology'.

I wanna see it so far back there is no question of what it is.

I wanna see it in Shakespeare:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew them, Horatio, in my youth."

But I don't think I ever will.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."