From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: xkcd: Crepe
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:17:06 -0700
References: <t5n7ku$kim$1@dont-email.me> <WPydnRg8MdNkhB3_nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <5d49li-p88.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au> <t5ubbr$ev7$2@dont-email.me> <e8jbli-ouk.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au> <t60ucp$ljl$1@dont-email.me> <aq8a8hp13bsbt6i8m1vifprv7v7q1643d5@4ax.com> <t63r9t$fj5$1@dont-email.me> <66sc8hlclbefaii2ncje0kk7liufsg0nis@4ax.com> <t6613q$k43$2@dont-email.me> <thff8hlnf2ha9c2s64sd0a1c98lj1bgjjv@4ax.com> <t68t1j$snn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 21 May 2022 16:17 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 15:17:52 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/20/2022 11:14 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 May 2022 13:08:57 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We have to move to 64 bit (x64 / Win64). Watcom does not have 64 bit
>>> compilers and linkers.
>>
>> Sad but true.
>>
>> Unless Jiri's 2.0 has made the jump.
>
>Jiri is a long way off from releasing 64 bit. And he has totally
>fragged the debugger in his 2.0 version.

That's not surprising. Major upgrades take a lot of effort.

But the fragging of the debugger is disappointing.

Even the 1.9 debugger has its problems and, of course, I have no idea
what it does with Fortran or really large DLLs.

>And I am having serious Watcom debugger problems on Windows 10 with
>Fortran code. It will not let me set breakpoints in DLLs written in
>Fortran. I have a Windows 7 PC for any serious debugging.

So I recall. IIRC, the Fortran compiler shares a problem with the
DOS-specific stuff: the compiler/assembler is writtin in C, but the
people most concerned work in Fortran and assembler. This makes these
features hard to get fixed.

Oh, at some point I should have said this:

When I talk about 7-bit ASCII, I am, of course, not including text
strings, but only tokens that the compiler actually processes.

Which isn't completely detailed, but should help if any confusion was
caused by its omission.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."