From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: [OT] Two Recent Mass Shootings
Date: 27 May 2022 03:19:50 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Fri, 27 May 2022 03:19 UTC

On 2022-05-26, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2022-05-25 7:19 p.m., Chris Buckley wrote:

>>> You presented those strikes as evidence that the US administration of
>>> the day believed that Iraq had WMDs...
>>
>> I agree with that. And you haven't denied my claims at all.
>>
>>> ...and I showed a lot of other interpretations...
>>
>> You missed others that are equally likely. For instance, all our
>> recent memories could be due to a simulation, and Iraq never invaded Kuwait.
>
> Yeah... ...you're making a serious rebuttal....
>
> (How do I sneer in text?)

And I thought my reply was a pretty good sneer... Oh well.

>> Just saying someone has not 100% proved their argument is to say nothing -
>> 100% proof in arguments about reality doesn't exist.
>
> Your "proof" isn't prove.
>
> On the contrary, it appears that the existence of WMDs was hardly a
> factor at all.

I assume you do agree that Clinton's entire speech announcing the
operation was aimed at reducing the ability of Hussein to attack with
WMDs?
https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/16/transcripts/clinton.html

>> If you are going to argue, then have the courage to take a position.
>> State what you think and why you believe it. You have not done so here.
>
> I believe that the Clinton administration acted in support of a UN
> initiative to punish Iraq and reduce their ability to defend themselves
> in any future military action.

As has been said, that's obviously false since there was no
UN initiative to punish Iraq - not even close to one.
And to deny Clinton's speech...

> You have presented zero evidence that they acted due to a belief that
> Iraq actually had an WMDs when they initiated the strike.
>
> Literally none.

Baloney. If you want more: for example the speech cited above:
First, without a strong inspection system, Iraq would be free to
retain and begin to rebuild its chemical, biological and nuclear
weapons programs in months, not years.
Note the "retain."

Another quote in support the same day (from your favorite source!)
Pelosi:
Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of
mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the
region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process.
The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to
eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our
troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi people.

Bill Clinton and his cabinet had made clear their belief that Iraq had WMD
earlier that year. Eg
Clinton:
The UNSCOM inspectors believe that Iraq still has stockpiles of
chemical and biological munitions, a small force of Scud-type
missiles, and the capacity to restart quickly its production
program and build many, many more weapons.
Albright:
No one has done what Saddam Hussein has done,
or is thinking of doing. He is producing weapons of mass
destruction, and he is qualitatively and quantitatively different
from other dictators.

Other evidence of belief in WMD (aimed more at Scott Lurie's original
statement of GOP conspiracy than you, Alan). Many from
http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/18/town.meeting.folo/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/words-of-mass-destruction/

Al Gore (vice president at time of bombing) Sept 2002:
We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical
weapons throughout his country.

Carl Levin (Dem Senator, Chair of Armed Services Committee) Sept 2002
We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and
a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored
the mandates of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass
destruction and the means of delivering them.

Robert Byrd (Dem Senator) Oct 2002:
The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are
confident that Saddam Hussein retained some stockpiles of chemical
and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash
course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capability.

Henry Waxman (Dem Representative) Oct 2002:
Whether one agrees or disagrees with the Administration’s policy
towards Iraq, I don’t think there can be any question about
Saddam’s conduct. He has systematically violated, over the course
of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has
demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological
weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do.

John Kerry (Dem Senator) Jan 2003
We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence
that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a
developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass
destruction.

Hillary Clinton (Dem Senator) Oct 2002:
In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports
show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and
biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to
terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently
no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September
11, 2001.
It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam
Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological
and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear
weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the
political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we
know all too well affects American security.
_Now this much is undisputed_. The open questions are: what should we
do about it? How, when, and with whom?

Scott, do you have any comments???

Chris

SubjectRepliesAuthor