Not responsible for merchandise left over 30 days.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Washing machine size

SubjectAuthor
* Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon
+- Re: Washing machine sizeJohn Rumm
+- Re: Washing machine sizeAndy Burns
+* Re: Washing machine sizecharles
|`* Re: Washing machine sizeJethro_uk
| `- Re: Washing machine sizeAdam Funk
+* Re: Washing machine sizeJeff Layman
|+- Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon
| +* Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: Washing machine sizealan_m
| | +* Re: Washing machine sizeJeff Layman
| | |`- Re: Washing machine sizeAndy Burns
| | +- Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
| | `* Re: Washing machine sizeSteveW
| |  `- Re: Washing machine sizeTim+
| `* Re: Washing machine sizeJeff Layman
|  +* Re: Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon
|  |+- Re: Washing machine sizeJeff Layman
|  |`* Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
|  | `* Re: Washing machine sizeAdam Funk
|  |  `- Re: Washing machine sizeAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Washing machine sizeJohn Rumm
|   `- Re: Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon
+* Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Washing machine sizealan_m
+- Re: Washing machine sizeOwain Lastname
`* Re: Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon
 `* Re: Washing machine sizeThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Washing machine sizeChris J Dixon

Pages:12
Re: Washing machine size

<7fb1mi5f7dkl8rcdpvolpdd6ojha7hamqu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109885&group=uk.d-i-y#109885

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Washing machine size
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:10:55 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:10 UTC

The new machine was delivered today, and measures 597 wide, so
far as I could measure. I applied silicone lubricating spray to
the units either side, braced myself against the opposite units,
and eased it in with my feet.

Now running the initial clean.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Washing machine size

<ujqpc8$2e046$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109909&group=uk.d-i-y#109909

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:17:43 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:17 UTC

On 24/11/2023 14:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> The new machine was delivered today, and measures 597 wide, so
> far as I could measure. I applied silicone lubricating spray to
> the units either side, braced myself against the opposite units,
> and eased it in with my feet.
>
> Now running the initial clean.
>
> Chris
Well done! What,in the end, did you buy?>

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: Washing machine size

<o9t1mi5o5eb8h03p6lc83jrl9i3tap0ep5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109918&group=uk.d-i-y#109918

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:15:32 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:15 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>On 24/11/2023 14:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> The new machine was delivered today, and measures 597 wide, so
>> far as I could measure. I applied silicone lubricating spray to
>> the units either side, braced myself against the opposite units,
>> and eased it in with my feet.
>>
>> Now running the initial clean.

>Well done! What,in the end, did you buy?>

Bosch WAU28P89GB. It was a Which Best Buy & Eco Buy, and is
pretty well reviewed. I think it may now be discontinued, but is
seems like it should do the business.

If it last as long as the NEFF it is replacing, I doubt if I will
be manhandling the replacement it myself. ;-)

When I put the old one on my lawn for disposal, it was away
within ten minutes.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Washing machine size

<uk4ioq$8ifp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110103&group=uk.d-i-y#110103

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:26:17 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:26 UTC

On 21/11/2023 19:05, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 16:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> At argos.com, generally Bosch are 598mm, Haier 56cm, and Miele 596mm.
>>> I'd check at the manufacturer's websites for better accuracy. However,
>>> one certain way would be if you've got a Curry's nearby (or other
>>> retailer). Take a tape measure along and check the width of the washing
>>> machines on display yourself.
>>
>> That looks like the way I will have to go.
>>
>> If I don't get it right, I wonder how ridiculous it would be
>> trying to gain a little more space.
>>
>> The kitchen layout is shown here:
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=20423997331&set=a.20423847331>
>>
>> The arrangement is sink, dishwasher, washing machine, unit. The
>> unit is only about 300 mm deep. Could I reduce its 15mm chipboard
>> side thickness, in situ, by a couple of mm? I think I would have
>> to buy something new to do it - maybe router or power plane?
>
> A power plane would do it, but as you'll be taking off the melamine
> facing layer you're open to weakening the chipboard and possibly
> allowing damp to enter.

I think you would be using the plane in the wrong place....

If you unscrewed the side, then used the plane to reduce the width of
the shelf, base, and top of the unit before replacing the side you would
have a near invisible change. You may need to tweak the door position on
the hinges to lose the extra few mm of door width.

> I think you'd be better off getting a washing
> machine that fits the space. It might be worth checking the width of the
> current space top and bottom, front and back, just to ensure that
> whatever you buy will fit.

Yup, that would be much easier :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Washing machine size

<c3mbmi91oq1qrg1gkm5ad4shqnh88gmegk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110107&group=uk.d-i-y#110107

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:18:17 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

>On 21/11/2023 19:05, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 21/11/2023 16:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

>>> The arrangement is sink, dishwasher, washing machine, unit. The
>>> unit is only about 300 mm deep. Could I reduce its 15mm chipboard
>>> side thickness, in situ, by a couple of mm? I think I would have
>>> to buy something new to do it - maybe router or power plane?
>>
>> A power plane would do it, but as you'll be taking off the melamine
>> facing layer you're open to weakening the chipboard and possibly
>> allowing damp to enter.
>
>I think you would be using the plane in the wrong place....
>
>If you unscrewed the side, then used the plane to reduce the width of
>the shelf, base, and top of the unit before replacing the side you would
>have a near invisible change. You may need to tweak the door position on
>the hinges to lose the extra few mm of door width.

As I posted on 24/11/23, the job is now done, thankfully without
needing drastic adjustments, just lubrication and gentle force.

My units are not constructed in a way that would enable me to
remove a side panel in situ, and the drawer appears to have
formed metal back and sides.

If I could easily have taken the unit out, I would have been able
to take the much simpler step of reducing the width of the filler
strip to its right

Thanks to all for comments.

Chris