May cause drowsiness.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?

SubjectAuthor
* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?jeremy
+* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?ogden
|+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?jeremy
|+* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Mark Olson
||+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Stephen Packer
||+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Boots
||+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Ben Blaney
||+* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Pipl
|||+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?wessie
|||`* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Mark Olson
||| `- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?GeoffC
||+* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Bruce Horrocks
|||`- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Champ
||`- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?GeoffC
|`* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Cab
| `* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Mark Olson
|  +- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Cab
|  `- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Colin Irvine
+- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Spike
`* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Colin Irvine
 +* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?jeremy
 |+* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Stephen Packer
 ||`* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?jeremy
 || `* ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?GeoffC
 ||  `- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?jeremy
 |`- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Colin Irvine
 +- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Gyp
 `- ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?Stephen Packer

Pages:12
Re: ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?

<tqujah$1absp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14414&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14414

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:12:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:12 UTC

Cab <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> ogden wibbled:
>
>> Except it won't be, because the petrol engine will cut in far
>> earlier, especially if you're getting up to any kind of speed. It
>> won't run on battery for 20 miles and then bring the petrol engine in
>> when the battery's flat.
>
> Doesn't that depend upon the type of PHEV? If it's a plug-in hybrid,
> won't it use the battery until flat then automatically switch over to
> petrol?

First two sites that Google popped up seem to agree with you.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how-do-plug-in-hybrid-electric-cars-work

"The vehicle typically runs on electric power until the battery is
nearly depleted, and then the car automatically switches over to use
the ICE."

https://driveclean.ca.gov/plug-in-hybrid

"Plug-in hybrid electric cars offer both gas-only and electric-only
driving—even at relatively high speeds. With smaller batteries than
battery-electrics, plug-in hybrids achieve an electric-only range of
20‒55 miles, during which they produce no tailpipe emissions. When
the vehicle uses up its electric range, it switches to gas and drives
just like a conventional car."

My only personal experience with a PHEV (and I don't remember the
make/model) was a rental car in Akureyri. I couldn't seem to get it
to _ever_ work in electric-only mode no matter what I did. It would
take off from a standstill using the battery then immediately start
the ICE once it was above walking pace.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?

<xn0nxcap4pr05k001@www.rosbif.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14419&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14419

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:47:54 +0000
 by: Cab - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:47 UTC

Mark Olson wibbled:

> Cab <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> > ogden wibbled:
> >
> >> Except it won't be, because the petrol engine will cut in far
> >> earlier, especially if you're getting up to any kind of speed. It
> >> won't run on battery for 20 miles and then bring the petrol engine
> in >> when the battery's flat.
> >
> > Doesn't that depend upon the type of PHEV? If it's a plug-in hybrid,
> > won't it use the battery until flat then automatically switch over
> > to petrol?
>
> First two sites that Google popped up seem to agree with you.

<snip>

Ta. I wasn't sure if that applied to all PHEVs or not. I'm picking up a
Santa Fe Plug in, in June, and that's how the shop told me it'd work.

> My only personal experience with a PHEV (and I don't remember the
> make/model) was a rental car in Akureyri. I couldn't seem to get it
> to ever work in electric-only mode no matter what I did. It would
> take off from a standstill using the battery then immediately start
> the ICE once it was above walking pace.

I'm looking forward to mine.The majority of my cage journies are short
(work and back), so electric sounds like a decent idea.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?

<ib77thljvk1b922pev60h4tfrhtpagmv8m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14426&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14426

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:52:35 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:52 UTC

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:12:17 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>Cab <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> ogden wibbled:
>>
>>> Except it won't be, because the petrol engine will cut in far
>>> earlier, especially if you're getting up to any kind of speed. It
>>> won't run on battery for 20 miles and then bring the petrol engine in
>>> when the battery's flat.
>>
>> Doesn't that depend upon the type of PHEV? If it's a plug-in hybrid,
>> won't it use the battery until flat then automatically switch over to
>> petrol?
>
>First two sites that Google popped up seem to agree with you.
>
>https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how-do-plug-in-hybrid-electric-cars-work
>
>"The vehicle typically runs on electric power until the battery is
>nearly depleted, and then the car automatically switches over to use
>the ICE."
>
>https://driveclean.ca.gov/plug-in-hybrid
>
>"Plug-in hybrid electric cars offer both gas-only and electric-only
>driving—even at relatively high speeds. With smaller batteries than
>battery-electrics, plug-in hybrids achieve an electric-only range of
>20?55 miles, during which they produce no tailpipe emissions. When
>the vehicle uses up its electric range, it switches to gas and drives
>just like a conventional car."
>
>My only personal experience with a PHEV (and I don't remember the
>make/model) was a rental car in Akureyri. I couldn't seem to get it
>to _ever_ work in electric-only mode no matter what I did. It would
>take off from a standstill using the battery then immediately start
>the ICE once it was above walking pace.

Conversely, it's a good 25 miles (winter at night) to 35 miles (summer
daytime) before our petrol engine kicks in, unless we absolutely stamp
on the throttle. That's on the "car decides" setting. You can switch
to petrol-only, which I do for motorways, or electric only, which the
car will only allow if the speeds are low and the battery has enough
charge.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / ot: PHEV running costs - is this right?