I'm receiving a coded message from EUBIE BLAKE!!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Question for Bill

SubjectAuthor
* Question for BillThe Other John
+* Re: Question for BillSH
|+- Re: Question for BillMark Carver
|`- Re: Question for BillThe Other John
+* Re: Question for BillWoody
|`- Re: Question for BillThe Other John
+* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|+* Re: Question for BillWoody
||+* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
|||+* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
|||`- Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
||`- Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|`* Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| +* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
| |`* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
| | `* Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| |  +* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
| |  |`- Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| |  `* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
| |   `* Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| |    `- Re: Question for BillMark Carver
| +* Re: Question for Billalan_m
| |+* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
| ||+* Re: Question for Billalan_m
| ||+- Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| ||+- Re: Question for BillRoderick Stewart
| ||+- Re: Question for BillDavid Woolley
| ||`- Re: Question for BillJim Lesurf
| |`- Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| `* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|  +* Re: Question for BillWoody
|  |`- Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|  `* Re: Question for BillBrian Gregory
|   `* Re: Question for BillMark Carver
|    `- Re: Question for BillJeff Layman
+* Re: Question for BillAndy Burns
|+- Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|`* Re: Question for BillThe Other John
| +- Re: Question for BillDavid Woolley
| `* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
|  `- Re: Question for BillRoderick Stewart
+* Re: Question for BillDave W
|+* Re: Question for BillDavid Woolley
||`* Re: Question for BillBrian Gregory
|| `* Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
||  `- Re: Question for BillJim Lesurf
|`- Re: Question for Billwilliamwright
`- Re: Question for Billbilou

Pages:123
Re: Question for Bill

<59ea6f882anoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33266&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33266

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Subject: Re: Question for Bill
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:51:12 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 18 May 2022 08:51 UTC

In article <jeio9dFin6fU2@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/2022 23:25, alan_m wrote:
> > And probably work if the aerial is in the loft. A log periodic is an
> > ideal physical package for loft installation.

> No no no! Loft aerials last for ever! What about the poor starving
> children of future aerial men?

Best advised to shift trade into internet network setups. etc. 8-]

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Question for Bill

<59ea6fb68dnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33267&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33267

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:53:11 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 18 May 2022 08:53 UTC

In article <jeiok8FipdmU1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/2022 23:52, Brian Gregory wrote:

> > Here's one done in a different way:
> > https://www.brian-gregory.me.uk/GDL/spectrumspy-2020_03_10__04_03_33.png
> >
> > It has numerous spurious spikes all over the place.
> >

> It's nice though. You can make the same spectrum look completely
> different by: - Altering the scan bandwidth (makes a massive difference)
> - Altering the scan speed - Altering the start and stop frequencies -
> Altering the dynamic range - Setting 'hold maximum' or 'hold minimum'.

Somewhere I still have a copy of a book that IIRC Tektronix produced to
help people avoid getting weird results or interpretations as a result of
incorrect setup/reading of a swept specan screen. I fear more people bought
specans than ever read the book. 8-]

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Question for Bill

<jemhefFa51eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33268&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33268

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 10:37:18 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 19 May 2022 09:37 UTC

On 18/05/2022 21:26, Brian Gregory wrote:
>>> I was afraid you'd say that!  None of the neighbours has got a log
>>> periodic and as we're only 1.5 miles from the TX a bit of wet string
>>> would
>>> probably work:)
>>
>> Even close to the tx the directional properties of a log could be
>> helpful. Also a log has flat response across the band.
>
> Log periodics probably more likely to stay directional when loft
> mounted. My limited experience with loft mounted yagis suggests they
> can be so detuned by damp roof tiles and felt that they end up almost
> omnidirectional.

I had the luxury opportunity of comparing the results from my Log P in
the loft, without any roof tiles and then with them. The difference was
about 6 to 8 dB.

It still delivers 60-65 dBuV across the muxes in the loft, so I kept it
there

Re: Question for Bill

<t65j8d$nms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33270&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33270

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 15:12:29 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 19 May 2022 14:12 UTC

On 19/05/2022 10:37, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 21:26, Brian Gregory wrote:
>>>
>>> Even close to the tx the directional properties of a log could be
>>> helpful. Also a log has flat response across the band.
>>
>> Log periodics probably more likely to stay directional when loft
>> mounted. My limited experience with loft mounted yagis suggests they
>> can be so detuned by damp roof tiles and felt that they end up almost
>> omnidirectional.
>>
> I had the luxury opportunity of comparing the results from my Log P in
> the loft, without any roof tiles and then with them. The difference was
> about 6 to 8 dB.
>
> It still delivers 60-65 dBuV across the muxes in the loft, so I kept it
> there

I had a loft-mounted 18 element Group A yagi for Rowridge (about 30km
SSW) which was fine, but when the COM7/8 change occurred replaced it
with a Log P
(<https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L62DT7G/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item>.
No idea why the only rating is one star; it works fine for me). I see no
reason to go back to the yagi when COM7 disappears.

--

Jeff

Re: Question for Bill

<jena5bFepftU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33272&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33272

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 17:39:08 +0100
 by: williamwright - Thu, 19 May 2022 16:39 UTC

On 18/05/2022 19:14, Woody wrote:
> If the OP could find one, one of those flying bedsteads of years ago
> would work very well in the loft.

If you mean the stacked full wave bowtie dipole things, they were nicely
directional for VP, but actually rather hopeless for HP.

Bill

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Question for Bill