San Francisco isn't what it used to be, and it never was. -- Herb Caen

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Topical poem

SubjectAuthor
* Topical poemRoderick Stewart
+* Re: Topical poemcharles
|+* Re: Topical poemJava Jive
||`* Re: Topical poemNY
|| `* Re: Topical poemChris Green
||  `* Re: Topical poemIan Jackson
||   `* Re: Topical poemChris Green
||    +* Re: Topical poemJava Jive
||    |`* Re: Topical poemChris Green
||    | `* Re: Topical poemJava Jive
||    |  `- Re: Topical poemJava Jive
||    +* Re: Topical poemMB
||    |+- Re: Topical poemRoderick Stewart
||    |`* Re: Topical poemIan Jackson
||    | +* Re: Topical poemRobin
||    | |`- Re: Topical poemJNugent
||    | `* Re: Topical poemMB
||    |  `* Re: Topical poemcharles
||    |   +- Re: Topical poemMB
||    |   `- Re: Topical poemwilliamwright
||    +* Re: Topical poemIndy Jess John
||    |`* Re: Topical poemChris Green
||    | `- Re: Topical poemIndy Jess John
||    `- Re: Topical poemIan Jackson
|`- Re: Topical poemBrian Gaff
`- Re: Topical poemJohn Hall

Pages:12
Re: Topical poem

<jomdt9Ftt2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36705&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36705

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Topical poem
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:19:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 17:19 UTC

On 10/09/2022 04:33 pm, Robin wrote:> On 10/09/2022 16:12, Ian Jackson
wrote:>>> Chris Green wrote:

>>> You tend to find than many Irish and Scots will be able to say the
>>> odd phrase - I always suspect that a great many of those ticking the
>>> Gaelic box on the census in Scotland, can't manage much more than
>>> Slàinte Mhath - ditto for similar in Northern Ireland and Wales.
>
>> On my many trips to the RoI, in twenty years I only ever heard Irish
>> being spoken 'naturally' on two occasions. Once was while sitting on a
>> seat in a park in Cork (when two guys walked  past talking in it), and
>> another near Kildare (when one of the guys I was working with was
>> holding a conversation on a brick-sized mobile phone).
>
> But there are signs the Irish are following the Welsh in using the
> language as a way of giving an edge in getting jobs*.  Ireland gives
> extra points in recruitment to those who are fluent; and legislation
> requires by 2030 20% of recruits to be fluent.
>
> * https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57776429

That has been the case - to my knowledge - for at least fifty years.

The prized jobs of Garda constable or civil service clerical officers
required a pass in Irish as far back as the 1960s. And probably for some
time before that.