6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

SubjectAuthor
* What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?Simon Ferrol
+* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterAndy Burns
|`* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?Theo
| `* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterAndy Burns
|  +* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterRobin
|  |+- Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterRobin
|  |`- Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterSimon Ferrol
|  `* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterJack Harry Teesdale
|   `- Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterSimon Ferrol
`* Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change waterRobin
 `- Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?weel...@gmail.com

1
What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<uad9dh$mqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100058&group=uk.d-i-y#100058

From: simon.fe...@englandmail.com (Simon Ferrol)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:59:13 +0000
 by: Simon Ferrol - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:59 UTC

Just moved into new Council flat. This is a high rise estate where they
have a central boiler providing gas and heating to the whole of the
building (or so I was told) , then each flat has a second boiler,
basically reheating water and heaters (??? That's what the housing
officer told me). I pay gas through a meter card but I cannot change the
provider. This is the best information I got from the Council.

In any case, I do have a boiler at home, but it lacks all controls. I
need to lower the water temperature as it literally boils my hands, even
after mixing.

The boiler is a Worchester (Bosch). I can only see:

Typ 775 3045767
OMS Radio+ 868

After some googling, I think this is it:
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/literature/download/87161166240

But I still don't understand how to manipulate the water temperature.The
boiler has an LCD display but there's no way to change the settings.

Then there are two wireless thermostats, one called EPH-TRFI, that looks
like this:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1029315/Eph-Trfi.html

The other is a Pipit 500 that looks like this:
https://www.ephcontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/20170922_AW1077_TRFPi2_OpIns_JW.pdf

These two look like they have something to do with room temperature but
not water temperature.

Does anybody have a clue?

SF

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<kiuojvFt2g1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100062&group=uk.d-i-y#100062

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:14:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:14 UTC

Simon Ferrol wrote:

> Just moved into new Council flat. This is a high rise estate where they
> have a central boiler providing gas and heating to the whole of the
> building (or so I was told) , then each flat has a second boiler,
> basically reheating water and heaters (??? That's what the housing
> officer told me). I pay gas through a meter card but I cannot change the
> provider. This is the best information I got from the Council.
>
> In any case, I do have a boiler at home, but it lacks all controls. I
> need to lower the water temperature as it literally boils my hands, even
> after mixing.

I wouldn't really call that a "boiler" it's just two heat-exchangers one
for your DHW, the other for CH.

Apparently the DHW is preset to 50°C, find out whether you're allowed to
adjust it, looks like the upper "TRV type device" shown on page 6 of the
PDF you linked.

"The temperature of the domestic hot water is controlled by
a thermostat**. Using a sensor, this thermostat controls the
temperature of the domestic hot water that exits the heat
exchanger by regulating the primary flow through the DHW
heat exchanger via the priority valve."

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<95df442e-994e-b271-da2b-5e3e40e847de@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100068&group=uk.d-i-y#100068

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:25:45 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:25 UTC

On 02/08/2023 10:59, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> Just moved into new Council flat. This is a high rise estate where they
> have a central boiler providing gas and heating to the whole of the
> building (or so I was told) , then each flat has a second boiler,
> basically reheating water and heaters (??? That's what the housing
> officer told me). I pay gas through a meter card but I cannot change the
> provider. This is the best information I got from the Council.
>
> In any case, I do have a boiler at home, but it lacks all controls. I
> need to lower the water temperature as it literally boils my hands, even
> after mixing.
>
> The boiler is a Worchester (Bosch). I can only see:
>
> Typ 775 3045767
> OMS Radio+ 868
>
> After some googling, I think this is it:
> https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/literature/download/87161166240
>
> But I still don't understand how to manipulate the water temperature.The
> boiler has an LCD display but there's no way to change the settings.
>
> Then there are two wireless thermostats, one called EPH-TRFI, that looks
> like this:
> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1029315/Eph-Trfi.html
>
> The other is a Pipit 500 that looks like this:
> https://www.ephcontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/20170922_AW1077_TRFPi2_OpIns_JW.pdf
>
> These two look like they have something to do with room temperature but
> not water temperature.
>
> Does anybody have a clue?

I don't think /you/ are meant to adjust the temperature: "Concealed
Allen screw secures casing" that "Deters tampering and helps prevent end
user contact with heated components"

Bear in mind the council may have sealed it to detect people fiddling
their bills.

In any event, water at 50 degrees is hot. (Hotter than recommended for
old people.) If you've been used to cooler it may feel dangerously hot
to you.

Assuming you don't have a thermometer to check it, can you mix 200 ml of
boiling water with 300ml of water from the cold tap and comparing that
with what comes from your tap?

--
Robin

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<7b199471-18cd-4d09-a7ce-4fddc2b9dc85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100071&group=uk.d-i-y#100071

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 04:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: weels1...@gmail.com (weel...@gmail.com)
 by: weel...@gmail.com - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:59 UTC

Not sure if this is the way to do it but I have the lever mixer type, swivel left or right to adjust temp.
I set the `swivel lever` mid point and then adjusted the isolation valve to decrease the amount of flow of hot water to the mixer tap, so I now have an acceptable temp when tap lever set at mid point.

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<G9j*TlPmz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100073&group=uk.d-i-y#100073

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 02 Aug 2023 13:27:32 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:27 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Simon Ferrol wrote:
>
> > Just moved into new Council flat. This is a high rise estate where they
> > have a central boiler providing gas and heating to the whole of the
> > building (or so I was told) , then each flat has a second boiler,
> > basically reheating water and heaters (??? That's what the housing
> > officer told me). I pay gas through a meter card but I cannot change the
> > provider. This is the best information I got from the Council.
> >
> > In any case, I do have a boiler at home, but it lacks all controls. I
> > need to lower the water temperature as it literally boils my hands, even
> > after mixing.
>
> I wouldn't really call that a "boiler" it's just two heat-exchangers one
> for your DHW, the other for CH.
>
> Apparently the DHW is preset to 50°C, find out whether you're allowed to
> adjust it, looks like the upper "TRV type device" shown on page 6 of the
> PDF you linked.
>
> "The temperature of the domestic hot water is controlled by
> a thermostat**. Using a sensor, this thermostat controls the
> temperature of the domestic hot water that exits the heat
> exchanger by regulating the primary flow through the DHW
> heat exchanger via the priority valve."

The manual on page 8 says:

"The priority valve in the pressure temperature
control valve [2] ensures that maximum
output is used for providing DHW by isolating
the space heating when a hot tap is open.
The temperature of the DHW is controlled by
the thermostatic head which closes down the
pressure temperature control valve [2] if the
set temperature is exceeded."

So it appears there's a TRV-like head inside that sets the temperature. On
the picture on page 6 there are two - the white beehive-like object in the
middle of the unit which appears to be this head.

However the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella
(while at the same time optimising efficiency of heat transfer), so it would
be inadvisable to set it lower. I think the solution here would be to
install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.

In care homes they have thermostatic mixers under the sink/bath/etc so the
water coming out of the hot tap is never more than 40C (or thereabouts),
which is an option if the sink/etc porcelain can't take a mixer tap.

Theo

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<kiv23lF67cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100074&group=uk.d-i-y#100074

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:56:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 12:56 UTC

Theo wrote:

> the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella

Is legionella an issue in systems that don't store water?

> I think the solution here would be to
> install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.

Does the council permit changing the taps?

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<779750a6-346c-b79c-984e-ac36198e3b95@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100075&group=uk.d-i-y#100075

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:32:49 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:32 UTC

On 02/08/2023 13:56, Andy Burns wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
>> the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella
>
> Is legionella an issue in systems that don't store water?
>
>> I think the solution here would be to
>> install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.
>
> Does the council permit changing the taps?

which prompts a question for Simon:

Do you have bath with a thermostatic valve* that limits the temperature
of the water? If so, how does the water from that compare with other
taps?

*They've been common in social housing for a long time, and compulsory
for the last 10 or so. Often have a "stop" at around 40 degrees.
--
Robin

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<87c8a182-e594-4597-4b77-e4cf039543b3@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100076&group=uk.d-i-y#100076

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:34:02 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:34 UTC

On 02/08/2023 14:32, Robin wrote:
> On 02/08/2023 13:56, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Theo wrote:
>>
>>> the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella
>>
>> Is legionella an issue in systems that don't store water?
>>
>>> I think the solution here would be to
>>> install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.
>>
>> Does the council permit changing the taps?
>>

> which prompts a question for Simon:
>
> Do you have bath with a thermostatic valve* that limits the temperature
> of the water?  If so, how does the water from that compare with other taps?
>

> *They've been common in social housing for a long time, and compulsory
> for the last 10 or so.  Often have a "stop" at around 40 degrees.

sorry, that shd've been "compulsory IN NEW BUILDS...
--
Robin

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<uadn74$3bkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100077&group=uk.d-i-y#100077

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:54:39 +0100
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:54 UTC

On 02/08/2023 13:56, Andy Burns wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
>> the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella
>
> Is legionella an issue in systems that don't store water?
>
>> I think the solution here would be to
>> install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.
>
> Does the council permit changing the taps?

Why not just blend the water using the individual hot and cold taps to a
temperature that is acceptable to you.

If it is a council property, the council may not permit user adjustment
on the heating equipment.

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<uadsl2$4ln9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100095&group=uk.d-i-y#100095

From: simon.fe...@englandmail.com (Simon Ferrol)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:27:26 +0000
 by: Simon Ferrol - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:27 UTC

My combined bath/shower has two taps. One for the intensity of the
flush, the other for the temperature, but it was quite hot when I used
it the first time. I could set my own mix but I couldn't see a stop at
40 degrees.

Robin:
> On 02/08/2023 13:56, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Theo wrote:
>>
>>> the unit is probably preset to 50C to avoid problems with legionella
>>
>> Is legionella an issue in systems that don't store water?
>>
>>> I think the solution here would be to
>>> install mixer taps so the water coming out of the taps could be cooler.
>>
>> Does the council permit changing the taps?
>>

> which prompts a question for Simon:
>
> Do you have bath with a thermostatic valve* that limits the temperature
> of the water?  If so, how does the water from that compare with other taps?
>

> *They've been common in social housing for a long time, and compulsory
> for the last 10 or so.  Often have a "stop" at around 40 degrees.

Re: What kind of boiler is this? And how do I change water temperature?

<uadsnc$4ln9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=100096&group=uk.d-i-y#100096

From: simon.fe...@englandmail.com (Simon Ferrol)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
temperature?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:28:44 +0000
 by: Simon Ferrol - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:28 UTC

Because the bloody taps are far apart.

Harry Teesdale: